Sydney to Alice Springs - things to take

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:22
ThreadID: 77594 Views:2898 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi everyone,

Once again I ask to use soem of your wisdom.

We are setting off soon to drive from Sydney to Aloce Springs with 2 small children. Just wondering if anyone has any advice about essentials we should take, especialy in terms of particular first aid supplies we might need. Obviously we can't plan for any eventuality, just some suggestions about things I may have overlooked. We are travelling with 2 small children.

Also, excuse my ignorance, but with the park entry fees for the rock and kingscanyon, how much are they, and do we have to arrange that before we go, or do we pay when we get there.

Thanks heaps.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: feathery - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:34

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:34
2 small children the first thing to pack is the mother lol
You pick up your 3 day pass on the way into the park but if you are lucky someone might give you there unused days the olgas are more interesting than the rock .
Have a good trip
AnswerID: 412339

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:40

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:40
which way are you going to go. This will effect what you take as far as your first aid (How Small are the kids?) We always have some Nurphen & panadole for children with us and depending on the age, Pain Stop. Band-aids etc. Tweezers and scissors, bandages I also make sure I have an antihistamine cream for bits rashes etc. Lavender oil is great for little bite from mozzies. Maybe a small tune of antiseptic.

As for your pass. You buy it as you drive to the rock. it is for three days
AnswerID: 412340

Reply By: Chipsy - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:42

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 10:42
its $25 per person for the three day pass at Uluru but I dont think you pay for kids.

as far as I can recall there is no fee for Kings Canyon. my advice to anyone travelling to Kings canyon is to stay at Kings creek station instead of the resort or at least check it out as an option. I think the resorts at Yalara and Kings canyon are overpriced and dissapointing. but thats just IMO.

AnswerID: 412341

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 17:51

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 17:51
Yep, I'll second that Chipsy ref staying at Kings Creek Station, unless of course it has changed since three years ago. Nice spot with a bit to see & do at the Station & easy striking distance of other places to visit & enjoy.

They had good sizes van & camp sites, plus you could light a camp fire if you wanted to. We loved the place.

When we were there a helicopter was flat out giving sight seeing tours around the area & they had Camel Rides which proved ( for me ) to be a real bonus!! Neither my wife nor I had ever had a ride on a Camel before, but after a lot of encouragement from me, SWMBI took the plunge & mounted up. Frightened the living beejesus out of her & she never spoke to me much for a few days after the event! But the peace & quite was worth the frosty silence I had to endure. LOL

FollowupID: 682416

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:34

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:34
We found the resort camping area at Kings Canyon very nice and no dearer than Kings Creek Station. Our site was on the edge with an ideal view of the range at sunset. The resort was recently sold by Voyages to another company. We wanted to get an early start on the climb to the rim to avoid the heat.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 682425

Follow Up By: Chipsy - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:08

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:08
ive never camped at the resort, just stayed in the actual hotel which wasnt that flash despite the price. we have stayed at Kings Creek a few times in their little tent cabins and I just prefer the friendlier atmosphere and found the food better. I suppose the important thing is just to get out there and see the canyon itself no matter where you stay.

FollowupID: 682438

Reply By: Adventureplanner - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:01

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:01
Going via Broken Hill, Port August, Coober Pedy.

Kids are 3 and 1 1/2.

Thanks.
AnswerID: 412343

Reply By: Ozrover - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:28

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:28
Hi,

Firstly, a raincoat!

Seriously tho' & for the kids, they will get infections from swimming in pools waterholes etc...

AnswerID: 412353

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:30

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:30
Insert, (ear drops & eye drops) between tho' & &.

FollowupID: 682357

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 13:14

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 13:14
Having just read Hairy's post, you might need a boat as well as a raincoat.
AnswerID: 412365

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 13:28

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 13:28
Seriously, I don't think you need anything too special beyond a basic in the car first aid kit. You might (it isn't consistent) get lots of flies so repellant and fly veils can be good as if you get them in plague numbers they will drive the kids nuts. We find Stingose to be the best for quickly stopping pain/itching from minor bites. Have never had any problems from infections that might, or might not, have come from swimming pools/holes up there (which is not to say that our experience is the same as others).
I think the prices at Yulara are reasonable, given the cost of running an operation like that in an area as remore as that. We took lots of food to try to save $ last year and needn't have bothered. The supermarket prices at Yulara shopping area were pretty good.
AnswerID: 412369

Sponsored Links