wheel cover security thread

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 17:52
ThreadID: 77611 Views:2711 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I remember a member putting up an idea of securing their spare wheel cover from sticky fingers some time back.I have tried to find the thread with no luck at all, if anyone could help with the thread that would be great.
Cheers
John.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:05

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:05
John,

Try Member John T (Tamworth) Blog ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 412412

Follow Up By: Cruiser .- Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:28

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:28
Kev,

The only problem with John T (Tamworth) idea is anyone with a ring spanner can undo those clamps.

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 682422

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:29

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:29
Still takes time though, if they reallt want it then they will get it off.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 682423

Follow Up By: Cruiser .- Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:32

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:32
True, but those clamped lead seal thingies would be better

Cheers,

Cruiser
FollowupID: 682424

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:20

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:20
Car or van I have both held on with nylon cord through several eyelets

Most opportunists wouldnt be expecting that (I hope)

AnswerID: 412416

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:43

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 18:43
Hi John,

I recently purchased an ExplorOz wheel cover for our van spare and have added our names to it in waterproof texta - visible on the blue section. Hope this stops anyone else from wanting it, unless of course they have the same names as us.

Regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 412419

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:12

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 20:12
Sorry to curdle your milkshake Heather, but there are solvents which will remove waterproof texta or blue paint to cover it!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 682440

Follow Up By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:43

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 06:43
Hi Allan,

yes I am aware of that but thought it may make someone think twice about it. We may have to look at other methods I guess.

It shouldn't be necessary to have to lock everything onto the vehicle. We already have padlocks and security ropes for a number of other accesories i.e. pipe with fishing rods, the outboard motor, and locks on the wheels so the BFG A/T's dont escape. It is a bit sad really!

Also a problem when the keys to fit all the padlocks get 'misplaced' as they did a couple of weeks ago! And they werent my set!!!LOL

Still at home so no problems here with the wheel cover I would hope.

Cheers,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 682475

Follow Up By: Member - Allan B (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:30

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 09:30
Yeah Heather, it shouldn't be necessary to lock everything up but its a sad fact of life in our society. But it's still just about the best society!

I too have locks on the spares and the roof-top box but for the rest i take my chances as there's nothing that will maroon us. Then if the tarps, poles etc get nicked I will try to be philosophical and not let it spoil my day as well. When we leave our camp for the day all our gear stays open and accessible. It's just too much trouble to secure it. But the fridge stays in the Troopy at all times.

However, I am concerned at the possibility of forced entry into the vehicle cabin where all the goodies such as maps, navigator, camera and satellite phone reside. The only protection I can think of is an entry alarm with a louder and longer siren than usual.

Of course we will not stop the determined thief but may deter some light-fingers by making it harder for them. As for the keys, mine are well hidden in the cabin then I only have to carry the vehicle key.

Interesting thing about the wheel covers is that they are not particularly decorative and are rather specific to ExplorOz.com so it might be thought that someone pinching it would be a "member" here. Now that is really sad!

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 682502

Reply By: john&thejayco - Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 21:11

Saturday, Apr 10, 2010 at 21:11
Thanks all,
John T's looks like the idea i remembered seeing, i may need to change it a little as my tyre is mounted on the back door and not on a carrier,but it looks the goods.In general i think it would be safe because the type's that are likely to pinch your wheel cover would be to lazy to bother undoing the bolts.
Cheers all
John.
AnswerID: 412441

Follow Up By: dirttracker - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:41

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 11:41
Hey John,
They wanted my Northern Wings wheel cover so much they took the whole car! There is no stopping some people!
FollowupID: 682542

Sponsored Links