Submitted: Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:21
ThreadID: 77644 Views:4492 Replies:2 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Anyone know when ( or if ) the Cooper floodwaters are due at Birdsville Track
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:42

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:42
In last Friday's westprint newsletter, it said:
"Hi Folks Just back from William Creek Gymkhana on the week end, Lyall Oldfield suggests the Cooper will cross the Birdsville Track around late June. The trip will take around 40 mins one way 2 vehicles at a time. Brendan. Wedgetails Tours"
AnswerID: 412558

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:28

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 21:28
Hi Phil, late June is 11 weeks away!!! And 40 minutes to go 200 metres across the Cooper???? Unfortunately theres a lack of reliable info about the Cooper's flow. We need to know where it's flow front is now and how fast it is advancing, But good data is hard to source, Flow rates have been quoted as 2, 3, 6 or 10km/day so it's anybody's guess..... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 682635

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 22:11

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 22:11
Warrie,
When info or an opinion about the Birdsville Track comes from someone with the surname "Oldfield", its likely to be more accurate than anything else anyone can come up with.
FollowupID: 682641

Follow Up By: Member - Warrie (NSW) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:09

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 19:09
Hi Phil, currently in the chilly Coffin Bay NP. So- for the benefit of the forumites, who is Mr Oldfield and why is he so credible?... W
Warrie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 682718

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 21:39

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 21:39
Gday Warrie,
There are many Mr and Mrs Oldfields! They are family who have had a lot to do with the Birdsville Track. I'm scratchy on the history, but a quick Google told me that Eric Oldfield who is in his 80's and runs the Drovers Rest CPark in Marree was the last drover to move cattle down the Birdsville Track in 1972. His cousin Shane Oldfield runs Clayton Station.

Sharon Oldfield runs Cowarie Station. You can read her story HERE. We met her late husband in 1987 at Mungarannie when one of our group had completely smashed his trailer springs on the track - he kindly sold us his spare springs for his horse float to keep us going. Tragically he died when his plane crashed soon after.

Lyall Oldfield runs the Oasis Store and Caravan Pk at Marree. I'm not sure of how many other Oldfields are out there, but the name crops up regularly.

Hope the weather picks up for you at Coffin Bay! At least the sand should be a bit firmer than it normally is in the summer. We must go back some time - haven't been there for ages.

Cheers
phil
FollowupID: 682730

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 07:59

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2010 at 07:59
Hi Glenn and Phil
I gave Jason a call yesterday at Etadunna and the water is slowing down in its flow rate. Jason said they are making continual flights over the area to keep progress, as all will know, the by pass is through their property. The head of the water is still about 40 kilometres north of Lake Hope, so it still needs a very lot of water to first fill this final hurdle then make its way to cross the Birdsville Track.

A couple of weeks ago with the rate it was travelling, it should have cut the track by now, but at its current rate and providing it keeps up, Jason reckons another 4 - 6 weeks. But like he said, anything can happen between now and whenever it does cross the track.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 682762

Reply By: peterll - Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:45

Sunday, Apr 11, 2010 at 18:45
Hi Stevo.. I was up there last week left the day the track closed again.

SA Roads have people working on maintenance of the ferry as more of a just in case situation.

Mining crews have moved the camps down to Leigh Creek as "word" is that the water is moving slowly on some days , faster on others. An example was 2km in 5 days but then stalled for awhile. The recent rains (storms) might add to the volume moving across the country.

All in all...one of those IF the water gets to Coopers Crossing it could be as early as 4 weeks but closer to 5.

Doesn't really help mruch if planning to go for a ferry ride.

Warboton is around 1/2 metre lower than last year but flowing down to the lake. Lake has had water in it for some time. If you are interested in the Lake Eyre area maybe have a nose at the yatch clubs website.

Before the recent storms the road Maree to Mungerannie was in reasonable condition..drive to the conditions though..Mungerannie to Clifton Hills isnt too bad .or wasn't. But over the hill at Blue Ute..looked like a lake. Grader was heading up on Tuesday, that may have obviously changed by now.

Camp ground at Mungerannie is in good condition...Cowarie was under water.

Good luck trying to predict weather.

Cheers

Peter
AnswerID: 412559

Follow Up By: Stevo_62 - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 07:02

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 07:02
Thanks for that Peter , used the ferry last time in 1990 and am keen to see it again
FollowupID: 682655

Follow Up By: Teraa - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:19

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 08:19
Went for a fly yesterday and the Warburton and it is now well over last years floods we have aslo had recent major rain the frome is also running. It was hard to get info because the cloud cover is blocking Sat. images. I hate to say it but I think with the Alice getting more rain as well I reckon the Lake will end up with more water than last year. High rainfal also fell on the Cooper this end.
Mungerannie end up with a hail storm how bizzare is that. No birds went right up to Goyders and no birds.
FollowupID: 682661

Follow Up By: peterll - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:49

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:49
yes sounded like quite the storm..hope Pam's hand is going to be ok.
FollowupID: 682676

Follow Up By: Teraa - Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:29

Monday, Apr 12, 2010 at 18:29
Yep me too.
They reckon the creek will come anytime from late May to mid June and the ferry won't run straight away from what I have heard it needs loads of money
FollowupID: 682711

Sponsored Links