Which Gas for Heating

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 21:49
ThreadID: 77741 Views:2596 Replies:7 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at some sort of heater for out trip. Me thinks it is going to be cold in the mornings.

I have been looking at several types and as this will be used outdoors under the awning I am not worried about Co.

I am confused about the different gasses. Propane, Butane and LPG. What is the difference?? All I want to do is be able to connect my Swap and GO Gas Bottle that I use for cooking and lighting etc up to a heater of some sort.

Thanks
Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 22:21

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 22:21
Hi Wayne
the ones that you have mentioned are all the same gas. There are only 2 types of gas that you can have for domestic cooking and heating, natural and LPG. Natural gas is only available via a pipe line to your homes, the other form, LPG is in the bottle form, and used from your gas powered cars, to cooking on the BBQ.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413077

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 22:42

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 22:42
Hi Stephen.

I don't think they are the same gas. Butane is mixed with Propane to give us LPG or at least that is my understanding from the little research I have done.

Propane and LPG may be able to be used for the same purpose. But I don't think a Butane cooker can run on LPG and vice a versa

Anyway that is what I am trying to find out.

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 683107

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:33

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:33
Stephen

I have found one on these on E Bay. Are they any good. You say you don't use yours now any reason for this.

Thanks
Wayne
FollowupID: 683117

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 22:48

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 22:48
Why couldn't you use google, easy really. I got one of these, don't use it anymore.

Image Could Not Be Found

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 413079

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:00

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:00
Google, yep tried that but no clear answer,

The heater you have shown is what I am after, simply sits on a normal LPG Bottle.

FollowupID: 683113

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:36

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:36
Stephen

I have found one on these on E Bay. Are they any good. You say you don't use yours now any reason for this.

Thanks
Wayne

Sorry Previously Posted followup to wrong person
FollowupID: 683118

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 05:56

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 05:56
Wayne

You ask why I don't use it.... I live in Adelaide River, 90 klm South of Darwin.
we don't have frosts, and it never gets cold, although I will throw a jumper on at 22deg ,

I got mine at BBQ's Galore in Nth Rockhampton about 4 years ago.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 683140

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 09:33

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 09:33
We have one of those little beauties too, but keep forgetting to through it in when winter comes.

Just a word of warning (at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious......)..

Please don't use these in a confined space without good ventilation for any length of time.....the fumes/exhaust will silently kill you.

We have an Ultimate Camper trailer which has a 2 burner gas stove inside. We only notice the cold when we first get out of bed; so the first thing we do is turn both gas rings on and boil the kettle for a cupper, which also serves to take the immediate chill off the air.

Roachie
FollowupID: 683170

Follow Up By: Member - Harv & Anne E (VIC) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 16:13

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 16:13
I use one of those in my draughty shed during the winter months here in Melbourne. Warms the legs a lot and the whole shed quite a bit. Also helps me drain the last of the gas bottle so I take an empty bottle each time for refilling - and thus head off with a full bottle into the bush not a half full! And meanwhile I keep warm in the shed.

harv
FollowupID: 683214

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:02

Thursday, Apr 15, 2010 at 23:02
Here are some old Threads I found on Oz. Where they are talking about the incompatibility if the various gassed

Robin Miller replied:
Ran a post on these some months back - and have warned Anaconda etc that they are selling a product which specifically states on the back to use 30/70 gas mix - whereas they have wrong gas fitted to there display models and don't even sell the compatiable gas.

Labelled warned of nasty consequences !

Its possible they have released a new version - check product label for correct gas mix to use Wayne

Robin Miller
Survivor -Top Crossing Hut Trk
Click Image to Enlarge
Robin Miller
Member: My Profile Send Message
Reply 3 of 5
FollowupID: 510036 Submitted: Monday, Jun 25, 2007 at 22:24
warfer69 posted:

Hiya Guys

Now this unit runs about 2 hours on a 220gram Cartridge..2.5hrs on low.. What the box states
that you use a 70% Butane and 30% Propane..

I am using 80% Butane and 20% Propane (standard) without any issues at all.Gone through about 10 cans so far...

It has an oxygen depletion switch and anti tilt switch,piezo ignition like the small burner you can get..

Cheers
FollowUp 1 of 2
FollowupID: 510101 Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 26, 2007 at 08:26
Robin Miller posted:
Use a little stove here with those gas cans and it works ok till real cold, you probably heard from posts like these that as butane boils just below zero, its hard to get any gas pressure when cans get cold, this has lead to all sorts of cute ways to keep your gas cans warm like sleeping with it. More propane helps - as boils lower.

They are cute and effective, but I find it fascinating that you see the heaters with 100% butane cans in them on display in stores despite the warning on the label, and that they sell a product to which you cannot purchase the appropriate fuel.

Talk about potential liability issues !

Robin Miller
AnswerID: 413086

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:52

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:52
Nothing much has changed from that post - we did a bulk buy of 80/20 butanne/propane cannisters for about $1 each and they go well in the Kovea heater.

For heating in general none of the availlable items is really adequate but the Kovea is still the best approach.
The screw on attachment to main bottle is by and large not worth the hassle and will soon fall into disuse. The heat output of 5000 btu's is one issue but the inflexibility really kills them. At least with the 6000 btu Kovea its a fully self contained and lightweight item that can easily be moved to optimize heat , and while it can only keep 1 person happy out in the open it does a good job when partially protected like in an anexe etc.

Depending on the circumtances we also use an array of infra red globes as a heater but this requires the car/gennie to be running , works well with quiet petrol cars. These project heat even in breezy enviroments.

The only really non-fire solution off a gas bottle is to use the new modern version of those outside gas heaters which don't have the big curved top plate
and are slim and radiate out - issue here is large gas usage.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683209

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 09:05

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 09:05
Go to your nearest camping store. They usually have a range of gas heaters.
AnswerID: 413122

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:54

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:54
Did that they only has one heater for $139. Same as I can get on Fleebay for $49

They were not all that clued up on the different gasses either.

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 683278

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:42

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 10:42
The use of any un-flued gas heating appliance in an enclosed space is fraught with danger.
The CO will and does kill. It is not called "sleeping death" for nothing.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 413133

Reply By: Member -Signman - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:09

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 11:09
The best heating ???
A campfire and a cuddle !!
Works for me.

AnswerID: 413135

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:24

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 18:24
Wayne,

I have a Coleman Catalytic Heater which runs off a "disposable" Coleman gas bottle (can be refilled with an adaptor) or off a standard gas cylinder via an adaptor hose.

We hardly ever use it though as we prefer an open camp fire which provides ample heat.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413176

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:58

Friday, Apr 16, 2010 at 20:58
Agree with the Camp Fire. That is what we intend to do. We are only looking at a heater in places where Fire not allowed or no Fire wood available.

Think I will go for the Top of the bottle setup. Found one on Fleebay for $49 so nothing to loose really.

Cheers
Wayne
FollowupID: 683281

Sponsored Links