Lake Eyre

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 07:11
ThreadID: 77794 Views:2671 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, has anyone actually been to Lake Eyre in the past week or so and how is it looking - either from the air or ground can you see the water? Intending to take a flight and look around in mid May, and wondered if this timing is the most opportune. Due to commitments it has to be then or not until July/Aug. so would appreciate any reports. Thanks. Jan
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:47

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 08:47
Hi Jan,

I doubt that anyone has been to the Lake via road access recently.
Both the Halligan Bay Track and access via Level Post Bay are shown as closed due to rain damage.

Mid May should be a good time to view the Lake from the air.
If conditions allow access to William Creek via the Oodnadatta track from Marree or the track from Coober Pedy you can take a flight with Wrightsair from William Creek.
By May, the access tracks may well be open again but I understand the water in Lake Eyre does not extend to the extreme shoreline.
Trevor Wright or one of his pilots may even pick you up from Coober Pedy if other options are out.

More information can be obtained from theWrightsair Website

Bill
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 413367

Follow Up By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:05

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:05
Thanks Bill, I have been checking the Wrightsair site and the Lake Eyre Yacht Club site regularly, but haven't seen many updates recently. Your info has been much appreciated. Will still plan on the trip at this stage. Many thanks again, Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683479

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:17

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 10:17
Jan when comparing inflows with last years minor flood it looks like there will be far less water in the lake meaning nothing visable from the shore. The view from above will still look impressive but with little depth the birds like last time are unlikely to come down. Ultimately how full Lake Eyre fills will now depend on what if any water makes it down the Cooper Creek but doubt that will make much difference for you by May.
The timing of the water this year has not been ideal for the Lake to fill. First the local rain fell & all but dried up, then a small flood down the Warburton filled the groove but with not a great deal behind it has meant there is little depth. The Cooper is flooding but has to fill several smaller lakes along the way so it won't arrive for some time.
Personally this year I'd be looking at a plane flight from Innamincka as the water flooding out on the Cooper system & Coongie Lakes together with the birdlife would be far more spectacular than a part filled Lake Eyre.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 413386

Follow Up By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 11:09
Thanks Craig, it's so hard to predict mother nature isn't it! Thanks for your info and tips regarding flights from Innamincka. Must admit I hadn't thought of that idea. From the reports over the tv and radio, I did presume that the recent rains would have helped so it is good to get your information that already that has dried up. Thanks once again and all the best, Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683481

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:11

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:11
"good to get your information that already that has dried up"
I'll just clarify that there are still large areas that haven't dried up as such just the local creeks aren't running to fill the lake.
Cheers Craig.............
FollowupID: 683497

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:31

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 15:31
Umm!

Access in and out of Innamincka is impossible at the present time.
I think it will be a while before access to the town and environs is possible.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 683513

Follow Up By: Crackles - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:16

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 19:16
Bill the local creeks I was referring to were those feeding directly into the lake not those 150 km away over at Innamincka. That water is still on it's way slowly down the Cooper expected late May by some locals.
Cheers Craig...........
FollowupID: 683552

Reply By: Shanep - Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:44

Sunday, Apr 18, 2010 at 14:44
The Lightning Ridge Police Bush Safari is heading to Lake Eyre and Flinders Ranges in Sept/Oct this year. Check out www.lrpbs.com.au

AnswerID: 413417

Sponsored Links