wollondilly river station

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 15:09
ThreadID: 77840 Views:2649 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
We have a brand spanking new 19ft off road van and are keen to take it away this weekend. We have been told that wollondilly is fantastic but that we might have issues getting our van into it. Has anyone got any advice - which end is the best side to come from and is the road too hard for a van? Not sure if our van will fit through the rock arch way along the road. If anyone has any other suggestions for a great spot for the kids within about 2 hours of sydney, that would be great. Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rodge - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 16:50

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 16:50
It is a great spot. However we took our Jayco Dove in there once, but won't do it again. The road is very narrow and winding in places - we were very pleased not to meet an oncoming vehicle. Cheers.
AnswerID: 413558

Follow Up By: Member - Phil H (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 21:44

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 21:44
Pretty spot, we went there with our kimberly and our friends had a Jurgen. As some of the other posts mention, some drivers dont know how to drive a corner or think they are rally drivers.Camp ground was extremely busy and cramped when we were there (a long weekend) and the portaloo toilets scattered around the area were horribly "off", saying that, when we go back again, I would look at taking our own port a potti (cant use a spade there) or keep away from school holidays and long weekends.
FollowupID: 683831

Reply By: DOBBO60 - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 16:58

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 16:58
There was a post on this very subject a few weeks ago. If you do a search you should find it.
Another great spot for you and the kids is Coolendel, about 40mins west of Nowra but I don't reckon you'd get your caravan in there as the last 11km's are a bit of a goat track although they were fixing it up when we were there a few weeks ago. There is a couple of cabins you can book though.
Great swimming hole but it's getting a bit cool for that now.
AnswerID: 413559

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:17

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:17
Coolendel is tight but you can do it, the local bus company takes it's bendy bus their all the time for the school camps as well as there std buses our Nissan 6 wheeler is 7mtrs long & ive towed a 8.5mtr trailer in their (other road uses are not happy about having to back up but that's just a part of it)
FollowupID: 683756

Reply By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:30

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 17:30
Yes the road is tight and twisty as per earlier responses but i dont think you will have any prioblems fitting thru the tunnel as you can drive a double deck stock float thru it.
definitely is easier from mittagong end the real tight bits are further on between the river and wombeyen caves.
note that articulated tippers carry limestone along this road and they are a fair bit bigger than your van
regards
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413561

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:13

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:13
As above!

Forty years ago I was driving one of those semi tippers (1418 Mercedes) carrying crushed calcite out of the quarry and up to Austral Rock Milling at Newtown.

If you are used to your tug and caravan you will have no problems other than a slow trip. The real danger/risks come from the myriad of "Sunday Driver" tourists, the would be rally drivers. This mix exhibit their own peculiar traits. Sunday Driver meets you approaching one of the bends, they prop still in the middle of the road, clench the steering wheel with a white knuckle grip then release one hand to wave you and your caravan to pass them on the outside edge when there is no way in hell there is enough room. Oh! I forgot, these drivers are unable to reverse back to their own side of the road.

The rally driver is usually spotted well ahead by the great clouds of thrown up dust. Find a straight spot, stop well on the left and hope they straighten out of their four wheel drift so as not to side swipe you. I was in a stationary vehicle that took a full side swipe from one of these idiots.

Tour coaches are not unknown to do trips into the caves, so it certainly is doable, take it slow and careful.

Ian
FollowupID: 683681

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:25

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 20:25
Ian

A man of true words...

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 683682

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 21:27

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 21:27
Ian,
theres a fair chance we passed a few times on that road as we had family property there and traveled out from Berrima each day.
old series 1 landrover than a series 2. green one with white roof.
our shearing shed is now the home where the fellow parks his helicopter.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 683691

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:46

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:46
Probably Howard,

We drove the red Mercedes with tipping trailers behind, the company also had a green IH Loadstar to bring out solid blocks. Doesn't seem all that long a time ago. Have not been through that way for over ten years now.

Ian
FollowupID: 683723

Follow Up By: Member - Ian W (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:48

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:48
Probably Howard,

We drove the red Mercedes with tipping trailers behind, the company also had a green IH Loadstar to bring out solid blocks. Doesn't seem all that long a time ago. Have not been through that way for over ten years now.

Ian
FollowupID: 683724

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)