Darling River Run with off road Caravan?

Hi

In Broken Hill at the moment about to head to Wentworth and do the Darling River up to Bourke traveling with mans best friend so NP are out, wondering if anyone has any suggestions for bush camping along the way?

cheers
Cozzie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 22:19

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 22:19
Contact the tourist information in Broken Hill they should be able to give you an information pack about the Darling River Run.

It used to include contact details for a number of stations along the way that would allow camping. Always contact them first.

The other alternative is to call at the local shops/pubs and ask the locals they are usually very helpful.

I know you can camp around the Bourke & Wills camp near the block dam at Menindee. Near Tilpa you can camp at Killara Station and there was one between Louth and Bourke on the eastern side, sorry I can't remember the name.

Try to spen an evening near Louth. Asl at Shindy's Inn about the reflection off the headstone. You have to be there at sunset and you may need help finding the best location to see it but it is worth the effort.

I am jealous. The Darling is flowing pretty well at the moment and it will be beautiful.

Just keep an eye on river levels. There is a lot of water on its way down near Bourke and the river is already pretty full.

My neighbour was there just over a week ago and reports it as being full to the banks and rising. If the locals warn you to get out listen to them.

Have a great trip
Duncs
AnswerID: 413590

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 22:32

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 22:32
There is also a campsite at Wilga Station with gas BBQ's, NP apparently bought Wilga Stn a few years ago but I am unsure about dogs there, as there ain't a whole lot of trouble a dog could get into.

We are heading up that way on Friday via Macquarie Marshes and we will head downstream from Bourke.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 683702

Reply By: ChalkieSA - Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 23:12

Monday, Apr 19, 2010 at 23:12
Just came back from there and unsealed roads were closed, but are now open. We were going to stay at Trillby Station just outside of Louth, but couldn't get there. Lots of campers stay there and it is dog friendly. Ring Liz on 0268747420. They also have a website www.trilbystation.com.au
The bridge further up the road to Bourke is washed away, but you can detour through Gundabrooka National Park to Bourke
AnswerID: 413592

Reply By: Member - Jan B (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:36

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 08:36
Hi Cozzie,
Chech out the web site outback beds has all the info for the darling run,
we stayed at bindara right on the darling its south of minendee lakes on the west side.
Regards Jan & Peter
AnswerID: 413610

Reply By: dindy - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 18:46

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 18:46
Hi

I was out there for two weeks over easter staying on friends property between Louth and Tilpa. Have been going there for some twenty five years, family trips at easter and secret mens business in November eradicating various feral animals. I have seen this country in all its extremes from being able to drive my landcruiser into the bottom of the dry river bed to seeing the river nealy over the banks. However at easter this property had a downpour of over 5 inches of rain during the most spectacular lightening storm I have ever seen. As a consequence of the rain there is now water laying in places on this property where ive never seen it before.

In respect to road conditions, all roads in the area should be open and suitable to tow a trailer.

AnswerID: 413683

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 19:50

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2010 at 19:50
Check out this thread Thread 61451
AnswerID: 413694

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 16:48

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2010 at 16:48
Here is the site for checking what roads re open in the Bourke shire.
You will need adobe reader to download it.

Bourke Shire Link

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 413788

Reply By: Member - Cozzie Toodyay (WA) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 07:47

Thursday, Apr 22, 2010 at 07:47
Thanks everyone for ya help much appreciated.
AnswerID: 413864

Sponsored Links