Flooding of the eyre creek in the simpson deseert anyone knows.....

Hi everyone,

I read a lot of thing about the flooding of the eyre creek, and I check every day one the SA Outback Roads Temporary Closures, Restrictions and Warnings Report If the Simpson desert is managable form Mt Dare to Birdsville. but each day it's the same things, it still not open.

So my question is simple, Is somebody knows when the bypass of the Eyre creek on the QAA line will be open ? It is a bigger flooding than the last year when did they open the bypass?

I plans a trip in the simpson desert a soon as somebody can travel across .

I come from France i am 19 years old I travel with my girl friend, we spent the last few month to fit every thing to travel safely in the australian outback. And at the end we stopped by the water in one of the most dry country in the world, Is not funny?

Thanks very much

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 16:10

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 16:10
Mt Dare Roadhouse

The above link will be the most help - we hope to go across in late July

Regards Tony
AnswerID: 414468

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 17:21

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 17:21
I presume you will use the "French Line"......... LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 414472

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:22

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:22
John, where does the Eyre cross the French line?
FollowupID: 684735

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:57

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:57
Oh... now I get it.
FollowupID: 684737

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 18:17

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 18:17
hi max and pauline

i realize your trying to see our great outback and in a certain time frame
but you must except that this flooding has been caused by a freak act of nature
hundreds of australians have also had to make other plans as well
thre is nothing anyone can do

except wait for the water to find it's own way to it's destination beyond the black stump as it will and has done in simular events in the past decades
how ever long it takes
i dont think anyone in australia could give you an accurate estimate of that
only a gestimate of when you might be able to get through we would all like to know but really only nature knows that
sorry but you will have to be patient or maybe consider taking a different route
cheers and enjoy your detour
AnswerID: 414482

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:29

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:29
The latest Desert Parks report says this

Access and exit to the Simpson Desert is via Dalhousie. Flooding of the Eyre and Warburton Creeks has closed through access/exit to Birdsville and Clifton Hills, potentially well into 2010.Innamincka is receiving floodwaters from Queensland.

Please note the comment "potentially well into 2010" Yes ths years flooding is larger and different from last year

Last year Eyre Creek was opend up around late July from memory but I could be wrong

There are heaps of threads on this subject and you need to appreciate that an East to West or vice versa is at the moment not an option. You can enter from Dalhousie and exit via Batton Hill and the Hay River but require permits from the traditional owner for that run

Regards

RobA

AnswerID: 414525

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:37

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2010 at 22:37
"And at the end we stopped by the water in one of the most dry country in the world, Is not funny?"
What I find funny is that although there are 100 or so tracks closed accross Australia at the moment due to flooding there are still another 20,000+ others open you could take :-))
Making firm plans to take a certain route or to expect to be somewhere at a set time is foolish when travelling in the Outback. Breakdowns, sand storms, floods etc etc can & will cause delays & should be expected.
If the Simpson is your main challenge come at it from the East out to Poepells Cnr & return via a loop or better still head North up the Hay River.
In Oz we have a saying: "There's more than one way to skin a cat"

Cheers Craig...................
AnswerID: 414526

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 13:48

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 13:48
Crackles sending a 19 year old French Kid to skin a cat in the middle of the aussie desert could be entertaining. I agree with your comments off course but Max seems surprised that a creek could have water in it, global warming 2010..!
FollowupID: 684762

Reply By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 13:44

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 13:44
And at the end we stopped by the water in one of the most dry country in the world...

Humm Max that's terrible, the water wasn't in the brochure I know.! It's very frustrating, I went to Queensland too and it didn't stop raining, but the brochure showed clear blue sunny skys. Whoever is responsible for this should be sacked..!

You can monitor this flooding at the offical Bureau of Meteorology site for this area.

Mto Bureau officiel pour ce domaine (Official Weather Bureau site for this area)

Rsum des crues du Queensland

AnswerID: 414587

Follow Up By: TerraFirma - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 13:51

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 13:51
Nice article on this crossing and area Max right here at the magnificent Explorer OZ..!

Simpson Crossing Expert Article and Guide

FollowupID: 684763

Reply By: max and Pauline - Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 16:33

Wednesday, Apr 28, 2010 at 16:33
Thank you very muh every one, I really enjoy to read all this reply.

At the moment we are in Whyalla and we are waiting to receive our snorkel and Sat phone by the Australian post.

I sent a e-mail the other day to Mt Dare and he sent me :

"Hi Max,

Our web site is the best source of information, the chance of the Eyre Creek being open in May will be slim, count on June at the earliest. Otherwise you can still go into the Simpson, nearly all the way to Birdsville but you will have to return via the western side again. There are many tracks out there so you don’t have to use many of them twice.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
David Cox"

So if it just a matter of a few week that'll be good we can work and win money to kill the time. or we can learn how skin a cat ;-)

Also if some people are interested to see how is the flooding you can go on this web site : http://www.wrightsair.com.au/floodwaternews.htm

Thank eveyone it good to be helped by you guys.
AnswerID: 414600

Sponsored Links