which uhf antena to buy

Hi all Im in Albany at the moment and I am a little confused over which UHF antena to buy ,I already have a spring base which is fitted to my Bull bar and I use to have a fibreglass antenna at about 1 metre high but broke it in the bush ,on freeways I had great reception over long distance but when I replaced it with a small rubber 3 to 4 DB ant which is about 300 mm long I lost that ,so I just want as large as posable DB antena to fit my spring base for our trip up to Darwin Via the west coast ,I have been told that I have a ground dependant ant at the moment and have been shown a few differant ants like a long 9 DB stainless wire with 2 coils in it about a 3rd and 2/3rds the way up it was about 1.5 mtrs tall and it cost about $140 but I dont want to buy the wrong one as Im moving on,if anyone can help with some advice that would be great .

Cheers all .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 09:43

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 09:43
Big long one like that works reasonably well over flat country provided it stays relatively vertical when driving John.

The more db the more critical so many keep to 6db or less.

Whats important on a bullbar mount is that tip of aerial is above car roofline.

Also the strongest signal will be from the direction of most metal , so on a bullbar mount on passenger side the aerial works best in the direction of driver side rear.

Don't bother with any of that here , I use a short $13 140mm long whip mounted in centre of roof which works better , is not directional and also works better in hilly country, doesn't get broken off and doesn't get in line of vision.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 414803

Reply By: Member - Alan John C (WA) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:23

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:23
John I agree with Robin if you intend on keeping the mount on your bullbar your antenna needs to extend beyond your roof and if you carry equipment on the roof you need to cater for that if you go to the GME website it explains in full and simple terms I have two fibreglass antennas and subject to whether I have gear on roof which antenna to run I clear my roof by 150mm's and the same goes for carrying gear on roof I like to clear that by the same both mine are fibrelass I ran stainless steel but found they snap off at base with vibrasion ie, Gunnbarrel Hwy but check out GME website that will answer all questions for you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 414822

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:44

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:44
I have used a GME 1018k ??? 6db all around Aussie and had no trouble.

It is just the right height to let me know if doorways are high enough to clear my roofrack
IE if the aerial got in so would the car.

AnswerID: 414827

Follow Up By: Wilko - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 15:48

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 15:48
Agree with you too Graham, they are a good all round aerial.

Choosing aerials is like tyres a compromise and nothing works the best in all situations.

Work out where you'll be spending the majority of your time, then target the aerial to suit.

Cheers Wilko
FollowupID: 685043

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:16

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:16
Mate,
Look at the GME web site for all the answers. No BS, just correct answers.
Ian
AnswerID: 414889

Reply By: Flash32 - Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:24

Friday, Apr 30, 2010 at 19:24
John
Go and see Ray at AudioCom, or call him on 0898422485, he has been fitting all types of radio's in Albany for longer than you would care to remember.
RodnEls
AnswerID: 414890

Reply By:- Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 09:56

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 09:56
John,

You need to ensure you fit a ground plane independant aerial as you are fitting it to the bullbar. The ground plane is the effect created by substantial metal surface below the aerial (ideally the roof of the vehicle if mounted in the centre) but this is not the case on the bullbar. A ground plane independant aerial has large metal boss as part of the base that creates the ground plane independantly of the surface of the vehicle. The ground plane, if ideal, radiates the out going signal in all 360 degrees around the vehicle equally.

Mobile One and GME do ground plane independant aerials.
AnswerID: 414949

Reply By: Teraa - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 21:48

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 21:48
It's not the size but the position
AnswerID: 415040

Sponsored Links