Mummel Gulf National Park - please! help needed to keep tracks open

Submitted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 16:16
ThreadID: 78138 Views:4580 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Can you help?

Mummel Gulf National park has two iconic 4wd trails - Dicks Hut Fire Trail and
the River Rd - that make there way down to the Mummel River. These are fantastic and very scenic 4wd trails that the NSW NPWS plans to lock up forever for no good reason. The Mummel Gulf National Park is North of Nowendoc, East of Walcha just south of the Oxley Highway:http://www.exploroz.com/Places/64402/NSW/Mummel_Gulf_National_Park.aspx

The Dicks Hut Fire Trail runs down to a former lease area where Dicks Hut stood up until a few years back prior to a bush fire in the area. The descendants of Dick are very un-happy that these trails are closing and locking them out of an area they spent there childhoods at helping there grandfather log red ceder and transport by it by bullock to Walcha.

Please if anyone can help in any way to keep these two trails open then please post here or call myself on 0428237908.

I have written a submission to the Walcha NPWS ranger which can be found here:site link

The Mummel Plan of Management can be found on the Decc Website or here:
site link

The proposed closure of these trails has come about simply by the NSW NPWS service raising a DRAFT plan of management and proposing that these trails be classified as management trails and hence closed to the public.

Well if you like touring in the bush you need to make a stand.

Please if you know the area or have been there then submit a submission opposing the closure - it does not have to be long just making a submission is better than no action at all. Submissions have to be in by May 24th. Copy your submisisons to your local policticians as well.

Maybe if we all act together and use the internet to spread the message we might just stop one small piece of NSW national park from being locked off forever.

Brendan M.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ModSquad - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 17:27

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 17:27
Brendan,

To insert a web link use the insert link icon located near the submit icon.
We have fixed the links in the original post for you.

Regards
The Modsquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 414999

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 18:08

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 18:08
Thanks for the heads up, Brendan.

We've made many trips to the Dick's Hut Firetrail over the years, usually from the Nowendoc side. It's a top spot when you get to the bottom.

I'll download the Management Plan and put in a submission.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415008

Follow Up By: Member - Brendan M (NSW) - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 18:14

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 18:14
Thanks George. We will need as many individual submissions as possible to have any chance..

Sadly Dicks Hut TRail has brand new gates at either end just waiting to be locked up and the key thrown away. Makes you angry!!

The management plan link is in the thread as well..

cheers
Brendan.
FollowupID: 685185

Reply By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 20:53

Saturday, May 01, 2010 at 20:53
Thanks Bendan, looks like a brilliant area, keep up the good work keeping it accesible......we hope.
AnswerID: 415027

Reply By: NickDG - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 21:57

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 21:57
Brenden,Thanks for alerting us to this crisis! I'm the president of the Manning Valley Great Lakes 4WD Club and we are regular visitors to this area. We last visited it in August 2009 and camped down in the valley beside Williams creek on Dicks hut fire trail. We love the challenging tracks in the area and have found hidden waterfall swimming holes in the creeks running into the mummell river off river rd. We approached river rd from both sides (east & west) and where unable to get through due to acouple of ks of massive fallen trees! We reported this to N.P.'s but did not receive a reply!We will put in a submision and alert the NSW 4WD Association as we are members. Are you a member of a 4WD Club? If so I suggest you put in another Submision with the club as that has more weight than a personal submission.Your letter is Exellent and says it all!We will do all we can to stop this so keep up the good work from your end.Nick Gardner
AnswerID: 415151

Follow Up By: Member - Brendan M (NSW) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 09:30

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 09:30
Hi Nick, not a problem. This is a spectacular area worth fighting for. Please highlight this closure with the Tamworth 4wd club, Walcha and Port Mac clubs. There is 3 weeks left to submit submissions.

My understanding is that West of River Rd is state Forest (have a look at the map in the pom). The large trees blocking River Rd are actually on the Forests side. River Rd is clear from the Eastern side as of 2 weeks ago at least (dry weather only).

I'm not a member of a club maybe one day..Brendan.
FollowupID: 685358

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 22:35

Sunday, May 02, 2010 at 22:35
Gee, there seem to be more and more coming to good old Victoria for tracks and camping now. I saw that your Premier being referred to as Queen Kristina today when she was half an hour late for appointments. I wonder if you may try to dethrone her?
AnswerID: 415155

Follow Up By: Member - Brendan M (NSW) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 20:17

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 20:17
Yes having to travel to Victoria and other states is a tangible side effect of endless gates in NSW National parks. This lock out situation should never have occurred..it needs to be righted.
FollowupID: 685436

Sponsored Links