Mt Webb - Wakooka Road CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC - no exceptions at this time.

Submitted: Monday, May 03, 2010 at 19:08
ThreadID: 78196 Views:6249 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
It seems that there a quite a few people that will ignore road closures if it does not suit them, even if it may cost them a lot of money. Obviously people do not know how to change plans.

I did a trip from Cooktown to Cape Flattery on the weekend. The track to Cape Flattery turns off this road just before the Road Closed Signs. (Must say it was very wet with a lot of deep water crossings).

As we prepared to cross the Morgan a couple of utes pulled up behind us complete with boats, one on the roof one on a trailer. As the Morgan was quite a challenge they got a bit bogged and we heard them on the radio getting each other out and digging the crossing up for the locals that have to go to Cape Flattery. We also heard on the radio as they went past the road closed sign joking that they did not see it & proceeded to head up the closed road.

On the way back we caught up with another ute that had just come out from that way full of camping gear - Apparently the other cars were bogged somewhere between the Morgan and the Starky River - These fools were going to try to get to Wakooka in lakefield.

There are still a lot of heavy coastal showers and all these fools will do is dig up the road for the people following when the road is Open. Hopefully they will be caught. I would not be surprised if they call for help.

Cheers Tony
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tonyfish#58 - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 19:24

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 19:24
I noticed the ExplorOz updated this thread with road conditions. Unfortunately their site says the road is open travel at your own risk - This in not correct - Pasted below is the official posting for this road by the Owner of the road

18. Area Mt Webb- Wakooka Road (including Princess Charlotte Bay)
Road Name: Mt Webb - Wakooka Road via Starcke
General Description: CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC.
Road Status:

Dirt road in EXTREMELY poor condition in an isolated area. WHEN OPEN : Because of the isolation of this area, you are advised to ensure others know your expected date of return before travelling on this road.

This road is a 4WD "Adventure Track" for experienced 4WD drivers only. It is mandatory for any persons embarking on this road to carry with them self-sufficient recovery gear and means of communication to outside emergency services (have Satelite phone, VHF radio phone), as well as first aid equipement; safety equipment and extra supplies. Please advise family, friends or police of your expected return date.
AnswerID: 415249

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Kerry W (QLD) - Monday, May 03, 2010 at 23:10

Monday, May 03, 2010 at 23:10
Hi Guys I read with some interest the above post.

I checked the conditions for this area this morning and I updated the report for the whole region. and you may check that this was done at 9.21AM TODAY Mon 3/5/2010

As I personally have inspected one end of this track and have had one on one communication with the Cook Shire Council regarding this very track, I feel I need to clarify this.

The ExplorOz Road Condition Report for this Track (Under the Peninsula Development Road Tab) Clearly states that it is CLOSED and has done so for some time. To further emphasize the risk of traversing this road I have had the following warning in place for at least 3 years.

""When open TRAVEL AT OWN RISK. Any vehicles caught going around 'Road Closed 'signs will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Large 4WD Vehicles only. Dirt road in EXTREMELY poor condition in an isolated area.

Because of the isolation of this area, you are advised to ensure others know your expected date of return before traveling on this road.""
Updated: 3/05/2010 9:21:01 AM

Far North Qol Road Conditions @ ExplorOz

I can only assume Tonyfish that you may have misread the 1st line which states "WHEN OPEN" not simply OPEN. However there is a RED "CLOSED" Tab right next to the Road in Question.

I really appreciate all feedback on Road conditions from as many people as possible as it is an ENORMOUS task to maintain and update weekly a "Live and Interactive" National Outback Road Conditions Report

Your feedback and support of this free service to all travellers is always welcome. ...And Yes these reports are interactive - you can add your own comments etc when you toggle open the reports for more details.

Hope this helps

Kerry W
National Road Conditions Coordinator.

Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415283

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 03:24

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 03:24
I am not usually a fan of dobbing in but why don't we do it more often!!!! These mongrels are risking our access. Get their number plates and pass them on to the cops.

Phil
AnswerID: 415287

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 17:43

Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 17:43
Even better to an Insurance company..

Many of them share information so if any of them make a claim when on a closed road they may be in for a shock.

AnswerID: 415370

Sponsored Links