Help...advice on the way to do Tassie...

Submitted: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 at 22:17
ThreadID: 78230 Views:2763 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Considering A trip to Tassie in January and have a few decisions to make.

Without boring you with all of them, I'll just ask a few for now....

Q1. I plan on about 3 weeks in Tassie and in relation to accommodation thought we would rent a house around Hobart week 1, a house around Launceston week 2 and then maybe around Burnie week 3.

Is that a good idea or over kill? Do I need to change locations so much? I do want to see as much as possible...

The idea is to have a base to work from and return each day after seeing the attractions within a reasonable distance....

Your thoughts or ideas please....

Thank you.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: blue one - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 07:31

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 07:31
Andrew,
The west side from Stanley to Arthur River and down to Strahan is fantastic. There are places along the way like Trial Harbour Pieman River which should not be missed. Inland there are 4wd tracks, lakes and waterfalls the list goes on. Do a search on the forum and work out your own itinerary and I think you might find that 3 weeks is not enough. Early March is a better time to travel if you can. Don't forget to have a look at the North East corner which is the best kept secret in Tas.

Cheers
AnswerID: 415453

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 08:00

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 08:00
I'd camp. You will restrict yourself too much by basing in those places. Plenty of free camps available and the weather that time of year is great for tenting it.

Are you taking your 4B?
AnswerID: 415457

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:07

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:07
Yes, I totally agree.

Andrew,
You could look at hiring a camper van or camper trailer and travel around to whatever destination takes your fancy. Day trips with a return to base is not a viable option in my opinion, Tassie is not all that small.

I recommend a couple of days minimum in the south west too.
Strahan is a place worth visiting, as is a trip up the Gordon River.
You could spend at least a week travelling down the east coast too.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 685628

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:57

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:57
Basing yourself in just 3 locations would restrict the time you could spend in some of the best areas & make it difficult to get to others within a day. With a total of 3 weeks I'd be more inclined to stay 3 or 4 days max then move on. Queenstown & the West coast for example would be difficult to do justice from any of the places you've listed.
Cheers Craig......
AnswerID: 415556

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 22:20

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 22:20
Yep, agree with Crackles, we flew to Tassie about 8 or 9 years ago, went in February and stayed about 2 weeks (way too short) hired a car and spent no more than 3 days in any one place. The west coast was excellent as was the rest. Must go again soon.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 685664

Sponsored Links