Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:16

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 19:16
Hi Darian,

Isn't that very good of Pat.
Weren't they warned two or three months ago that the ferry required a significant service to put it back into operation?

Have they actually started yet?

Pat's promise would be timely perhaps for the NEXT flooding of the Birdsville Track, sometime in the future.

Bloody politicians.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415544

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 20:57

Wednesday, May 05, 2010 at 20:57
Hi Darian
Thanks for that link. Looks like the ABC has followed up from what I told them what is happening along the Track and the Ferry. The down side that it is nothing new and I am still awaiting my reply from Mr Patrick Conlon. My return email from his office said they were looking into what I have asked them and will inform me as soon as possible - the flood will be well and truly over by the time they get back to me.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 415569

Follow Up By: lollylegs - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:28

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 10:28
Based on that article there is no need for the minister to respond, he has made it very clear. There is a ferry already up there if it is needed. Let's face this ferry while slow has been more than adequate in the past and will continue to be so in the future.
Subject closed.
Reg
FollowupID: 685699

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 14:35

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 14:35
Hi lollylegs
"subject closed" - you must be kidding. I have asked questions that need to be answered. If you have been following the posts that I have put up, you will have read that as late as early March of this year, the Diamantina Shire Council offered to supply both plant and men to repair sections of roads that were damaged north of Clifton Hills. The offer was made as the Shire Council knew that it would be impossible for any plant and men to get to these sections due to flooding of the track. Had this offer been accepted, the Birdsville Track would have been opened up a lot quicker than it was.

Why did Transport SA flatly refuse the offer of any help????. This is not a Chinese Whisper as mentioned to me by one Transport SA employee, but 100% pure fact, as told to me by Mr Dan Heaton, Technical Officer for the Diamantina Shire Council. When Dan received his reply, he could not believe their refusal of any help.

I would like to know as well as many other people that have been following this story.

So until the true facts are made public, this is not closed.

Perhaps you may be employed by the State Government and may be able to expand on what you know.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 685722

Follow Up By: get outmore - Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 15:14

Thursday, May 06, 2010 at 15:14
because any legal problems with the road come down to the SA shire that has duristiction over it

people take legal action over unsafe roads all the time so there isnt a snowflakes in hell any shire is not going to have full responsability and control over their road maintenance
FollowupID: 685726

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:25

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:25
Get outmore.
The Outback systems of roads in South Australia are all managed by Transport SA and not by any local Council. As for making roads unsafe, that is not right and far from the truth and is an insult to the Diamantina Shire Council for their offer of help. There was a report on the radio just this morning, complaints from residents in the outback areas on how long it is taking for repairs to be carried out.

It its defence, a spokesperson from Transport SA said that they have tens of thousands of kilometres of roads to manages and to quote" If you put all our outback roads together, it is equivalent of stretching from Port Augusta all the way to Toronto in Canada"

Like it was reported, you do not knock back offers of help when you can not get into an area yourself.

I am now wondering if you and lollylegs have even driven the Birdsville Track and know what the Track conditions are like?. There are many people that watch this forum and like me have driven the Track many times. All we want is the State Government to answer simple questions that have been put to them and not some comments from people that are only speculating.

Like I have said all the way along, it is a State Government issue, as Transport SA can on do what the State Government let them do.

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 685797

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:34

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:34
who said they would make it unsafe?

Im just saying legal responsability for the safe maintanance of the road is taken on byTransport SA so there not going to lose control of what they are legally responsable for
FollowupID: 685800

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:40

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 08:40
and yes I have driven the birdsville track in a 2wd

just before Mulka station there was a road camp semi permanant with quite a few people working on road maintanance

descrepancies between different road maintance duristictions are not confined to out back SA

Just the other day I drove the road that gos from lake king to South of norseman which locals have been compaing about for years

its a 100kph dirt road in the lake king shire and as soon as you hit the welcome to esperance shire it turns into a goat track
FollowupID: 685801

Follow Up By: Dasher Des - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 12:41

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 12:41
I heard the same radio report that Stephen alludes to and they also said that there is 14 gangs of workers out there repairing the roads. Given the amount of roads within this state, it makes regular maintenance a joke. DTEI also regularly contract work to contractors for road maintenance so I see no reason (except for keeping the money spent in this state within this state,) why the Diamantina Shire Council couldn't have been awarded a maintenance contract for road repairs. Fixit Pat has little interest in spending money outside of the metropolitan area.
FollowupID: 685814

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 12:57

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 12:57
This was about ensuring the Ferry is up and running. And the Transport Minister has said this will occur...........

"Mr Conlon says he will ensure a punt that is already at the track crossing goes back into service, even though it has been sitting idle for years".

Good work to those who have agitated for this.........

AnswerID: 415723

Sponsored Links