Goog's Track

Planning a trip to include Goog's track and notice that it is 'recommended' that the track be negotiated from south to north.

We would prefer to do it the other way around so we were wondering if anyone has done it from north to south and is it safe to do so?

Wayne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: chris ma - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 23:33

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 23:33
If its not recommended it sounds like more fun.
AnswerID: 415806

Reply By: Muddy doe (SA) - Friday, May 07, 2010 at 23:35

Friday, May 07, 2010 at 23:35
Yes we have done so from North to South and it is our preferred route. The southern faces of he dunes have been very chopped up by many travellers going south to north with high tyre pressures. Going the other way we found it was much easier going up the smooth northern faces and then trundling down the ruts. We probably even helped to bulldoze the ruts on the southern faces smooth again.

We have done this trip twice and even at peak time at Easter we met only 3 other groups heading the other way and it was no problem passing.

Sand Flag essential on lead vehicle and constant chatter on UHF helps to identify oncoming groups. There is a specific recommended channel for this area but I cannot remember what it was just at the moment. It is on the signs at each end of the track.

South to north is only a recommendation and not a hard rule.

Cheers
Muddy
AnswerID: 415807

Follow Up By: George_M - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 00:04

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 00:04
Ch 18 is the one.

Did the trip (South to North) three weeks ago - didn't see or hear a single other vehicle.

Southern approaches to the dune very chopped up but pretty easy. Northern approaches to the dunes quite smooth but some were VERY steep.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 685876

Reply By: Mick O - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 07:24

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 07:24
Only done south to north but in saying that nearly collected an elderly couple stuck just under a crest on the northern side of s big dune. No radio, no flag and no one standing guard. A very near thing. Are you towing?

Googs Track 1

Googs Track 2

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 415815

Reply By: Member - Brenton H (SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 09:06

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 09:06
Just did Goog's late April this year.
Compared to some of the stuff in the Simpson and elsewhere we thought it was a bit of a Sunday drive 4wd wise. Hard to imagine anyone getting stuck
Worth doing tho' as you still get that great feeling of isolation and the flora is quite attractive. Enjoyed it and spent 3 nights camping. We spent one day after Googs lake trying to out run big black clouds that were following us but they caught us at Mt Finke and it rained just seconds after we had our tents up and then for most of the night. Its sandy country tho and no problems whatsoever with the track.
Some of the sth faces of the sand hills after Googs lake are quite cut up as mentioned above, but it just means you take it easy ...unless of course you enjoy being shaken apart and possibly breaking springs.
Most people do sth to Nth so you must be very aware of on coming traffic which could present a dangerous situation.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 415823

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 09:48

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 09:48
Hi Wayne
You have some good replies above. Reading some information, it mentions it is a mini Simpson or Canning Trip. Take that with a pinch of salt, as like above it is a very easy drive providing that you know how to drive in sand.

Seeing that it sounds like an adventure, many people new to four wheel driving think this will be a good learning drive, and in the process cut the hell out of the track from no driving skills. The end result is the southern approach to some of the larger dune in the northern part of the track are very badly cut up and it is slow as you go, with no speed what so ever, that is how cut up they are.

Not recommended, but I personally would advise coming from the north and drive south, only for the fact that the northern faces of the dunes are no where as cut cup and is a smoother drive up.

As like any sand driving, drop your tyre pressure right down, and start at 18 psi and you should not have any problems. A sand flag and UHF radio are a must have safety item and enjoy the trip.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 415828

Reply By: True Blue - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:17

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:17
Thank you everyone for your great replies.

This is such a good site. Much appreciated.

Wayne.
AnswerID: 415832

Reply By: True Blue - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:24

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:24
Probably should have included this question with my first.

The main reason we wish to travel this track from north to south is so that we can then spend some time exploring the Eyre Peninsula.

We have visited neither Goog's Track or the E.Peninsula before so seeing that most of you boys who responded are South Aussies who better to ask about what we should not miss on the peninsula.

Any response would be most welcome.

In any case, thanks to you all again and happy travels.

Wayne
AnswerID: 415833

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:58

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 10:58
Hi Wayne
When you are over that neck of the wood, another great little drive, but relitively unknown is the Buckleboo Stock Route, a great drive also.

If you are into fishing you will be well rewarded.

Here are a few pictures of the Buckleboo Stock Route. The part of this track is that you will not see any other vehicles for the pure fact that it is usually only known by the locals.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 685901

Follow Up By: True Blue - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 20:46

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 20:46
Stephen.

What map would you suggest I need to show me this route ?

Wayne
FollowupID: 685985

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 22:18

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 22:18
Hi Wayne
Do you use Ozi? if so the standard Natmap 1:250000 will be fine. Here is a screen dump of the track. As you will see, it goes through the Pinkawillinie Conservation Park. The only problem with the track is that it is too short. We went last through in July 2007 about 12 months after big fire ravaged the Park, and as you can see, the Mallee was springing back to life quite well. I would say that it would have all regenerated by now. It is a pretty drive and if passing the area, well worth the drive. How far will you be travelling over that way. There are many out of the way places that are well worth a look around. Dog fence Beach is also a great place to see, it is where the Dingo Fence Finishes/Starts.

Feel free to ask any further questions.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686007

Follow Up By: True Blue - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:12

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 20:12
Sorry to be a pest Stephen.

As we intend travelling north to south are we able to obtain our permit somewhere in the northern vicinity (Glendambo ??) or should we obtain prior to the trip through Dept of Environ & Heritage, Ceduna.

Also, how do we obtain permission from the owners of Lake Everard Station to grant us access to Childara Rock. ?

Any help you can give us would be most appreciated.

Wayne.
FollowupID: 686264

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:13

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:13
Hi Wayne
Here are the contact details from the sign. I personally know the owner, he lives here in Clare. If no luck out there with the Manager I can give you Alistairs' phone number here in Clare (Hillriver Station)

As for the permit, you will not be able to get it, unless things have changed until you get to Ceduna.

Cheers

Stephen
Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686271

Reply By: mechpete - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:30

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 18:30
yes have done Googs from the top down , no big deal . sand flag and let your tyres down . and be aware that its very chopped up from vehicles running to high tyre pressure and towing trailers ,so its a bit slow .
you will be ok
mechpete
AnswerID: 415875

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 20:46

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 20:46
Wayne,
We spent 2 weeks on Googs Track Last year doing some volunteer work. Its really interesting watching what other people do - we watched (and heard!) a lot of other vehicles travelling the track.

I'd say 80% of vehicles had no idea of the best way to drive the dunes. Most considered a runup and momentum were necessary, and bounced and chopped their way over the dunes.

No one in our group had significant problems although one or two had to have a second go occasionally because of clearance issues. But we all let our tyres down to low pressures (mine were around 15/18psi) and walked over the dunes in first gear high range. It also irons out the corrugations a bit.

Most people travel from the south as per the request from the DEH. But if you travel from the north you are unlikely to have problems with oncoming traffic unless travelling in school holidays.
AnswerID: 415892

Reply By: Squizzy - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:19

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:19
As all others have said, north to south is good, but unfortunately this will also become chopped up eventually as the unskilled drivers begin to use this direction of travel.

We have done it twice from the north, once towing a camper trailer without too much difficulty. Low tyre pressures and correct gear selection make it a good drive.

Have fun,

Geoff.
AnswerID: 415930

Reply By: Skippy In The GU - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 21:30

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 21:30
Also there is a fruit fly inspection checkpoint just out of Ceduna
AnswerID: 416036

Follow Up By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 22:11

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 22:11
Just tell them you have come down Googs, they are only interested in vehicles coming in from W.A.
FollowupID: 686133

Sponsored Links