Suggestions for Lower Body Wear on Cold Desert Nights

Submitted: Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:12
ThreadID: 78314 Views:4093 Replies:16 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
We've just purchased a pair of down filled jackets for our CSR trip in July.

We expect night temps of zero or even less. Usually we go out in jeans but never yet in such cold weather. Jeans just let the cold blast through.

Katmandu and Mountain Designs didn't have anything suitable a month ago. What's the solution? Trackydax??

Cheers.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:16

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:16
Thermal long johns for me underneath the RM's.
As you say, jeans are cold, but they are generally more robust than trackydaks.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 415901

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:53

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:53
I bought thermals for a stint in Melb. years ago. I couldn't say I liked the feel of them under the strides but, yes, they were warm. Still have them so they might be the go.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 686011

Reply By: Simon (NT) - Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:35

Saturday, May 08, 2010 at 23:35
When I was over in the UK I came across something perfect for what you want, and with a little preparation they can even be waterproofed to some degree which will help if you are expecting any rain (and keeps most stains off the fabric).

They are called Craghoppers from KiWi brand. I'm not sure if they are a NZ company or not but they sell these things to all the mountain climbers/walker types in the UK, the ones who hate us 4WDers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Craghoppers-Kiwi-Zip-Off-Trousers/dp/B0029F1ZQW

The Classic Trousers (which show up on that page) are the ones that I've got.. they are brilliant - and the "BARK" colour is a brown colour that won't show up stains caused by our red desert sand... What it is that makes them brilliant however is because they are lined on the inside with a completely separate piece of fabric, so it traps warmth on your body, and gets air between it and the outer layer of fabric..
I imagine that the zip off trouser ones are the same, but can be worn during the summer daytimes, but I'd email the seller and ask.

You could have a look on eBay for Craghoppers (from KiWi) and possibly find them cheaper but to be honest £30 for them is a bloody good price, and at $60 (approx) for a pair you'd be hard pushed to find better insulated trousers which will take a lot of hard wearing (Mine went all around the UK and worked beautifully in the snow and cold there - in fact they are in a box in Sydney waiting to get shipped out to me in Alice Springs).

Hope it helps, and if you are planning on coming over Alice Springs way, let me know.. :-)
AnswerID: 415903

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 12:31

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 12:31
Hi Simon, thanks very much for that lead. I posted a follow-up to you last night but somehow it didn't land on the site??

I've checked Craghppers home site and they look great. They do international shipping so I'll shortly order a pair.

Thks also for your kind offer; maybe we'll catch you next year as we're planning to go across the top for our 2011 big trip, as far as Weipa, then back thru the Centre and maybe the Anne Beadell back to Perth. If so I'll be in contact.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 686061

Follow Up By: Simon (NT) - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 03:04

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 03:04
Hey John,

Brilliant, I hope they work out for you. I definitely loved them in the cold snowy winter in the UK..
In fact I was wearing them when the following photo was taken.

Image Could Not Be Found

I was wearing full waterproof/windproof over trousers on top of the Craghoppers but hey, they were still warm as toast before that but I didn't want the snow/moisture seeping in and making me cold.. and the jacket I'm wearing is the club jacket from DownUnder4x4 club.. and of course I made the English laugh by wearing an Akubra round in the snow, but I didn't get bits of cold snow falling down from trees in to my shirt collar.. in fact, on that day I wore a good thick shirt or two, a fleece jacket, then the outer DU4x4 jacket, the scarf, the lined Craghoppers, water/windproof overs, my Redback boots with a good pair of thick socks, a pair of Aussie deerskin truckers gloves and my Akubra. I was toasty warm all day out playing in the snow getting in and out of my 4WD and enjoying myself. Oh yeah, and it was good being able to drive around and watch everyone else stuck in their own driveways!!! hahaha. (come to think of it I was probably wearing/using more Aussie stuff in the UK than I did English products, hehe)

Anyway, sorry, that was a bit off topic, but I'm sure the Craghoppers will do you well as mine certainly did, just hope they still fit when I get them sent up to me here, perhaps I should just order some more now anyway.

Good luck and let me know when you are coming through, my email/website details are in my profile so feel free to stay in touch.

Simon
FollowupID: 686153

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 12:09

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 12:09
Thanks Simon. will do.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 686172

Reply By: Dave & Shelley (NT) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:05

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:05
Hi John,

I bought a pair of Mountain Design trackydaks (sort of a material) a few years back and they were great. I have worn them on several trips when it is bloody cold the CSR twice and the Anne Beadell.. They were lightweight to boot. Only problem was they cost about $100 bucks. Hope you don't freeze and good luck with your trip.

Dave
AnswerID: 415907

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:33

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:33
Thks Dave, has the label got a brand or other info or has it all faded?

Cheers.
FollowupID: 686015

Follow Up By: Dave & Shelley (NT) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:47

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:47
Hi mate,

Just went and found them, they are called "Brass Monkey". Rather apt I think. I also bought a POLARTEC jacket from them as well. Very toasty. Mind you,, I usually walk around in Shorts most of the time on these trips, much to my wife disbelief. Hopefully you can find something similar as I was very happy with them.

Cheers

Dave
FollowupID: 686016

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:38

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 00:38
While I'm on about this, I should have said I suffer from poor circulation in the feet dep't. And it's not my age; I've always had this issue.

So..... will also welcome any suggestions for warm light night footwear. During the day it's not a problem (great air in the Cruiser) but at night I'm not expecting to find much firewood out there. Normal runners aren't going to cut it, I fear.

Ugh boots?? Slippies???!

Cheers.
AnswerID: 415908

Follow Up By: Dave & Shelley (NT) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 01:05

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 01:05
Hi mate,

Me again. I would recommend picking up wood along the way as most of the wells have very limited firewood these days. Some people even cut down trees around the well campsites (idiots). That should help a little to keeping your feet warm. I also get cold feet on these trips and the best thing I have used are a gortex socks called "Seal Skinz". Very nice and also waterproof to boot. ( mind my pun). These things are expensive but very good.

Image Could Not Be Found

Hope this helps

Dave
FollowupID: 686017

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 01:12

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 01:12
Cheers Dave, I love a pun. Plus the tip looks good.
FollowupID: 686018

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 15:37

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 15:37
Put a hat and gloves on Mate for a start, most heat loss comes from the extremities of the body, that is why on a frosty night it is hard to find it to have a P.
It only gets down to around to 6 below and that is just before sunrise, that's not to bad.
FollowupID: 686394

Reply By: travla - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 04:54

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 04:54
Hi JB,

The thermal long johns are the go for sure, under a pair of jeans/pants/cargos anything, they are very warm.

T
AnswerID: 415912

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 06:57

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 06:57
Wear some sort of head covering such as cap or beanie, even at night. Nothing like a good old nightcap to keep you warm. Something like 70% of body heat is lost though the head so the body directs blood to the most important parts of the body to keep them warm. So wearing a cap will keep your toes warm.
AnswerID: 415916

Follow Up By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 12:11

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 12:11
Absolutely spot on!

There's no point trying to keep the feet warm without doing something to prevent/ minimise heat loss through the head...

Like the man said, wear a beanie (a good thick one), I certainly do when it's cold out.. It WILL keep your feet warm (or at least they'll feel warmer than they would otherwise)..

I never go bush without a few of 'em in the vehicle...

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 686058

Reply By: feathery - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 07:05

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 07:05
I purchased a cheap pair of Ugh boots they fell apart after trip but had warm feet all the time which is half the battle

Feathery
AnswerID: 415918

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:07

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:07
Ugg boots are definitely worth taking if you suffer from cold feet.

Cheers
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 686029

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:28

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:28
I'm going to give them a go based on that. Thks.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 686049

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 07:21

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 07:21
John,

I just wear shorts and the cuddle up to SWMBO hehehehehe

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 415919

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:30

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:30
Thks Kev; guess the individual stretchers were a mistake then.....

FollowupID: 686053

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:04

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:04
As can be expected The Sir has it all sussed.
Get the kids asleep and ???
With such a lovely lady who can blame them.
Old Farts like me will struggle to get rolled over, then try to get back to sleep.
Ah the memories.
FollowupID: 686409

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:09

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:09
In the evening I slip on the King Gee overalls to add an extra layer all over!

At night, it depends - we find that inside a double swag and both of us in single sleeping bags, we're fine with a normal layer on and I need a beanie for my bare head! In a tent, we are colder.
AnswerID: 415926

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:14

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 09:14
Another vote for thermal long johns under the jeans.

I must be showing my age because during the core months of winter, I have been known (by myself) to wear them to work. They are oh so comfortable and as warm as.
I also have a thermal top which I have used on a couple of winter camping trips underneath my flannel shirts.

Gotta stay warm.

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 415928

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:22

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:22
Laugh all you like but the warmest and cheapest most comfortable is pantyhose , just cut a hole in the crutch , no need to buy bigger jeans to accommodate thermals , take up no room ,dry very quick if wet , most blokes probably wont admit to it but if they spent any time in the green machine at Canungra during the 70s/80s they would have worn them, LOL.
AnswerID: 415951

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:28

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 11:28
Love it.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 686050

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 15:45

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 15:45
Know I no what is wrong,
Real MEN wearing PANTY HOSE ???
FollowupID: 686398

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:20

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 17:20
Russnic , another plus for panty hose is in swamp country , Leeches cant get a grip , LOL , real men wear 'tights' [just another name for coloured panty hose] . Ask Russel Crowe , currently running around England in green tights playing Robin Hood.
FollowupID: 686412

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 12:24

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 12:24
Agree with themals, brought them from Ray's outdoors top and bottom with thick beenie for under $100.

Used them in the Simpson under track pants and fleecy shirt. Only trouble is when you need a nature call, they are hard to get back into. Don't overspend on something you only use rarely.
AnswerID: 415963

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 21:59

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 21:59
John
Many years ago when I was living in Canberra the local motor bike coppers in winter used to wear pantyhose to keep out the Canberra wintery blast.
Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 416043

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 22:55

Sunday, May 09, 2010 at 22:55
Thks all, look no offence but I'm going to give the pantyhose a miss for the obvious reasons.

But have bought a pair of uggs today (and very warm they are), am seriously researching the Craghoppers, and am thinking about the Chillblocker socks as well.

Feeling warmer already.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 416050

Follow Up By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 15:58

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 15:58
I suffer from cold feet too (always have, and I'm only 27 with a considerable head of hair!) and always take my ugg boots camping- in fact, my ugg boots are now a dedicated camping pair. They can get damp out there, but they always keep my feet warm! I often put them over a good pair of hiking socks.

The other thing I do is in the evening, put on trakky pants instead of jeans- jeans are freezing at night. Even better, put on a pair of merino thermals under your trakky pants, then put on your socks and ugg boots, and you'll be much better!

Sounds like you're well on your way to getting warm anyway, hope your trips go well!
FollowupID: 686400

Reply By: Dasher Des - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 09:46

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 09:46
Have some friends who always feel the cold during winter and they buy Ski pants and they have never complained about the cold since. usually find them at an Op shop so they are not very expensive although they may not be easy to find in the West. I guess snow is in short supply over there.
AnswerID: 416083

Reply By: silkwood - Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:10

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 21:10
Thermals under your pants are a good idea, though some are more comfortable than others. Try them on before buying. Berghaus do a cheaper and very comfortable version of outdoor trouser than the cragghoppers, both are very good. Berghaus products are usually availble at Scout Centres or Paddy's and the like.

Probably the biggest mistake in the cold is wearing jeans (or any cotton) as this maintains the moisture from your body and holds it close to you (making you colder). Avoid cotton in the cold!

The idea of a good hat is excellent. Old saying;"if you've got cold feet, put on a hat". Also make sure your socks and footware is not too snug. Love the idea of second hand ski pants, maybe not the best look but who cares out back (though this may impede close relations which keep you warm in bed!).

Cheers,

Mark
AnswerID: 416181

Sponsored Links