Cape York next month?

We have been planning a trip to Cape York for some months. Have booked accommodation in Cairns for 29th and 30th May. We had been hoping to have company from our club - Central Coast 4WD Club (NSW) but no luck so we are on our own. Now I have found that as of 3rd May most of the roads up there are closed.
We will still go to Cairns, I am driving from Sydney and Barb is flying from Darwin to meet me there. Don't have an alternative plan so we are hoping that the roads may be open by then. If not we will have to find somewhere else interesting to go for 3 weeks.
Questions to this forum:
1. Is it likely that the roads will be open by beginning of June?
2. Anyone like to join us either on the trip to Cape York or the as yet undetermined alternative?
3. Anyone got any suggestions for that alternative if the roads are still closed.

We are driving an '05 Nissan Patrol GUIV TD42TDi with 2" lift and 32" Wrangler MTR tyres. We don't tow a trailer - sleep in a tent.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: putrol - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 16:23

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 16:23
the road is open to bamaga at the moment
but lakefield isnt open until the 16th of may
AnswerID: 416288

Reply By: Allan B, Sunshine Coast, - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 16:29

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 16:29
Hi there (name?).

We are also planning to go up the Cape soon. Hoping for the first week of June but playing a waiting game with the weather. Can't leave it too late however as we have following commitments.

Some roads are starting to open and with luck at least the Development Road will be open by then. Maybe we can use the Old Telegraph Track on the way down. But I reckon that it's gunna be a bit muddy!

I think the Cook Council road report is the most reliable and up-to-date: LINK

We are in a 2002 Troopy rego 970LLE with ExplorOz stickers. Give us a shout if you see us. (Especially if we're stuck in a creek! LOL)

Image Could Not Be Found
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 416290

Follow Up By: B&P.N - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:20

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:20
G'day Allan,
The P is for Paul and the B is for Barbara.
Thanks for the link. I am feeling much better now about the trip - looks like it may be on after all. I'm OK with muddy as long as the roads are open.
Commited to the dates in Cairns and will keep checking. We are both still working so have to book our hols a long way ahead.
Our Patrol is white, reg AZ 18 CB (NSW black on yellow plates).
Will look out for you.

Regards,

Paul

FollowupID: 686448

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 14:23

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 14:23
Not sure I'd be trusting those two ;-)
FollowupID: 686990

Follow Up By: Member - Paul N (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 09:11

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 09:11
After being a visior for a few days I signed on as a life member so the posts as B&P.N apply to Paul N

Leaving Tuesday morning. Meeting Barb in Cairns on Saturday. Hoping roads will be open.
I took up life membership in ExplorOz last Sunday (16th) and at the same time ordered from their online shop this:
http://www.exploroz.com/Shop/Packs/Misc ... _York.aspx
which is a copy of the Hema Cape York map is a road map at a scale of 1: 1,000,000 designed for planning a trip anywhere throughout the Cape York Peninsula region, and Ron and Viv Moon’s definitive guide to Cape York, now released in its 12th edition. Cape York – an Adventurer’s Guide, is 224 pages of vital information, which has been gleaned from over 32 trips to the Cape.
I selected express delivery and the shop said 3 days.
I expected to receive it on 19th or 20th (Thursday) and when it didn't come by Friday I checked progress on the online shop and it came up with "being packed". I emailed the shop manager on Friday afternoon to askif it could be delivered to Cairns instead, or to cancel the order. I got no reply and the order status remains "being packed". I am worried that it may just get to my home sometime after I leave, thus useless for this years trip.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 687848

Reply By: Member - DickyBeach - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 16:48

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 16:48
Hi there B&P,
Have a look at Cook Shire Council's website here and check each day as Robyn will change it as circumstances permit.
We've bitten the bullet and are leaving Sydney tomorrow for an ex-Cairns departure on the 18th.
Good Luck,
DickyBeach
AnswerID: 416292

Follow Up By: B&P.N - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:24

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:24
Thanks for the link. Will check each day. Hope your trip goes well. Will you have internet with you? If so will you be blogging?

Regards,

Paul
FollowupID: 686449

Reply By: Member - Geoff H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:28

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 at 11:28
Hi Guys,

We leave Brisbane on 29 May for the trip also. I've spoken to a few locals up at Bamaga and Bramwell and they have vehicles travelling through now, some going through the Old Telegraph Line.

The graders have been working out of Bramwell for a week or so now.

There may be some roads closed but you can still get to the top on the main road, you might have to slow down to 80 maybe 60ks in places but you will get there.

If you decide not to go the whole way have a look around the Mareeba to Chillagoe area and some of the western parts of the Atherton Tablelands.

Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 416389

Reply By: Frances - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 12:33

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 12:33
I am taking 4 kids to Cape York planning to leave Cooktown around about 21st June. Am taking a month to get there from Victoria. My husband can't get away and our oldest child is 15 and is staying home with him as she's over the family holiday thing! So if you see a mad woman with 4 kids up there - it's me!
AnswerID: 416659

Follow Up By: B&P.N - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:22

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 13:22
We should be on our way home by then. Might see you in Cooktown. What are you driving?
FollowupID: 686983

Sponsored Links