Anyone got feedback on Tambo Camper Trailers?

Submitted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 12:43
ThreadID: 78436 Views:5982 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I would love any feedback if anybody has purchased, used or heard about Tambo Campers Trailers.

I am just about to purchase one and would like to learn as much as I can about them and any feedback or ideas for extras that I should include etc... before I confirm.

Any info at all would be helpful.
many thanks.
Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 12:55

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 12:55
Hi, purchased one a few years ago after looking at lots and lots of different brands, not the cheapest but at the time I thought the best around in Melbourne. Great people to talk to, willing to listen. Excellent workmanship on trailer and tent. I can only hope that they have not lowered there standards. Recommend them highly. (No affiliation etc)
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 416525

Follow Up By: GoCats - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:40

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:40
Thanks John, great to hear.
FollowupID: 686754

Reply By: escapesilv - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 17:15

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 17:15
Hi GoCats

We have had a Tambo for several years, and only had satisfaction, no problems.
the only problem we had was with a zip, and they sent us the part, and we had it replaced in Sydney at Tambo's cost.
they are incredibly strong, and if you were to have problem, they stand right behind their product.

Cheers
AnswerID: 416552

Follow Up By: GoCats - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:41

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:41
Thank you very much.
FollowupID: 686755

Reply By: ian - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 17:16

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 17:16
Dave,
You will have no problems with Tambo. There have been lots of positives on this site over the years, including from me. I would not hesitiate if they have what you want. i am a happy customer.
Ian
AnswerID: 416553

Follow Up By: GoCats - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:41

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:41
Great news, thanks Ian.
FollowupID: 686756

Reply By: mattd - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 19:38

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 19:38
Hi there,
We have had one for the past 3 years.. Not a problem. Very strong, canvass is A1, and lots of options. We narrowed it down to Trublue, OUtback and Tambo. Tambo was the best option.

Things to include on your build.
1. Side lift on the bed base.
2. Extra gas bottle welded on the back right hand side
3. Tool box. Great for storage and for a deep cycle setup in the future.
4. Tailgate kitchen. Its the best use of space.
5. off road coupling.
6. Awning. Its awesome, with a side wall.

They are made really well. Have been through some good storms, and it has never moved an inch. We are about to go on the road(as of this Monday) for 3 months, and cannot wait to give another go..

I am based in Melbourne if you want a look, but am leaving this Monday..

You wont regret it
AnswerID: 416576

Follow Up By: mattd - Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 19:39

Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 19:39
Also, get the cover made a little bigger to store things on top when travelling..
FollowupID: 686700

Follow Up By: GoCats - Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:42

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 07:42
Fantastic, thanks for your time and invitation to have a look.
after this feedback pretty happy with them and will def go ahead!
enjoy your trip.
FollowupID: 686758

Reply By: Adey - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:29

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:29
I concur with the other people that have already responded. I purchased our Tambo Cooper around five years ago and have been very happy with it. Keith and Amanda are wonderful to deal with and provide a service that is rarely seen in this day an age. They are exceptionally honest people and run a small operation wanting to provide a quality product to the market. I don't think there is anything comparable in the Tambo prize range. You will not be disappointed. I have the large pull out drawer kitchen but in hindsight would go with the smaller tailgate kitchen now. Options you should consider:

1. Slightly larger tonneau.
2. Gas struts on bed base
3. Tool box
4. Tailgate kitchen

To balance the equation the only down size is that the dust proofing is not 100% but I think that is near impossible in the price range of the Tambos. It hasn't worried me too much as mostly I am on bitumen and there was only once last year that I traveled to Innamincka on the Strezlecki track. That said I am not sure anything would stop the dust we experienced on that trip!!!!

Go the Tambo - you will not look back.

Also need to confirm that I have no affiliation with Tambo - I am just a very satisfied customer.
AnswerID: 416757

Follow Up By: Moggs - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:54

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 10:54
Hi Adey, I am interested to know why you don't like the pull out kitchen??? We have a Tambo and reckon the pull out kitchen is fantastic. For us it means nothing needs to be kept in crates - we hated the bending over and rummaging through crates for stuff when we used to tent it. The end box on the kitchen is our pantry and it holds heaps. We also got Keith to put a centre divider in the tub of the trailer which means when the trailer is loaded the gear does not rest against the kitchen or fall behind it when you pull the kitchen out. We have friends with a Tambo also and they have the tailgate kitchen and still live out of crates for a lot of their gear.

The pull out kitchen is something I always recommend when speaking to people - horses for courses.

GoCats, if you are ordering I would also recommend considering:

1. an extended draw bar - dependant on how the rear of your 4wd opens ie. single swing or tailgate. Alternatively, ask keith to get the wings on the stone guard frame swept back more.
2. Stone Guard extensions to the wheel arches
3. Get some eyelets sewn into the middle of the sides of the awning - you can then use a pole on each side to tension the roof. It helps with water run off, especially if you have the awning walls attached.
4. Awning end wall and half front wall around the kitchen as a minimum.
5. Get them to run the 12 volt wiring even if you are not getting the full 12 volt package
6. Get the rear room door sewn in even if you are not getting the rear room straight away - cannot be done at a later date if you decide you want that option.
7. Higher trailer cover - you can fit heaps of extra stuff under there and even if you don't, it makes it easier to fit back on.

Good luck with it. They are a great camper and I am sure you will be happy.
FollowupID: 686867

Reply By: Adey - Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:53

Saturday, May 15, 2010 at 11:53
Cheers Moggs - you are probably right re: kitchen. We are happy with it and I suppose I forgot about the hassle of grates. Also agree about longer drawer bar as I can't open my Patrol barn doors fully as door fouls on stone guard or trailer. have always been going to try and get extended RHS section for the tow bar on the Patrol.
Likewise all your other options would be worthwhile. I too had the wall section placed in the trailer to stop stuff falling behind the kitchen drawer when you pull it out. I did this a couple of years ago and it works a treat.

Adey
AnswerID: 416762

Sponsored Links