Simpson Desert

Having just returned from a trip to the Simpson, here are a few thoughts.
As the Eyre Creek is still closed, our route was
Mt Dare to Dalhousie.
Dalhousie to the last claypan west of Popoells Corner.That pan was immpassable, hence North onto Hay River Track, exiting at Jervois Station.
Looking at the lack of tracks, our crew was the first for the year , the closer we got to Popoells. Sand drifts on top of the dunes had a height increase of 2 to 3 metres and in some places the sand has covered all tracks.
Definately use your GPS, we had an in car GPS, married to Hema Maps that kept us on course.
The Hay River track, was, in the main, overgrown and suffering from flood waters damage and those travellers going that route should keep to our tracks.
Don't forget your Central Australia Land Council Permits and call in on Lindsay at the wilderness camp before exiting at Jervois Station.
The trip took 5 vehicles 5.5 days and my 2006 Nissan Patrol turbo diesel took approx 175 litres to do that section.
The desert is magnificent with green everywhere and the wildflowers are just emerging.
Don't take your offroad trailer at this stage, you will need to wait for more vehicle movements to define the tracks.
We finished up on the Cooper last week, east of Innaminka, after coming down the Arrubury Track, picked up around 150 Yabs, not a bad feed for 11 hungry blokes, each with a good red!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 10:44

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 10:44
175litres and 5.5days for which section?

From Poepels Cnr up or the whole way from Mt Dare to Jervois?

What engine do you have??? 3litre or 4.2litre???
Auto or manual?

We are leaving for that same run shortly.

Thanks for the info......

Grant.
AnswerID: 417353

Follow Up By: Geoff Dobson - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:07

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:07
Grant
the 5.5 days was from Dare to Jervois, the vehicle was a 3lt, manual turbo diesal Nissan which was fantastic with its low down torque in high 4 and ground clearances.
I envy you going on the trip, my crew want to plan a reverse trip next year, through Birdsville, over the Eyre Creek and north again on Hay River.
At the moment, the Eyre looks to be kms wide when viewed between Bedourie and Birdsville, very spectacular
cheers,
Geoff.
FollowupID: 687463

Reply By: ChrisK - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:43

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 11:43
Geoff,

I'll be going up towards the Cooper a bit later in the year & was hoping to do a spot of fishing & hopefully catch a few yabbies. What was their preference for bait? As you know any tip is worth it's weigth in gold....
AnswerID: 417368

Follow Up By: Geoff Dobson - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:01

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 12:01
Hi Chris,
we used cold meat, tin fish, corn, any old meat will do, we used Opera House and regular nets.
We were located on the low level causeway where there are 4 channels over the Cooper, some 70 kms east from the Nappa Merrie bridge, which should be repaired shortly.
From there we travelled to Noccundra, down to Tiborburra to Broken Hill then east to Menidee, to see the huge volumes of water being let into the lakes. The fishing there will be tremendous in coming weeks
Good luck
Geoff
FollowupID: 687461

Follow Up By: ChrisK - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 13:31

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 13:31
Geoff,
Thanks for the advice. We are planning a similar trip but in reverse order. Going up from Melbourne, Wentworth then out to Mungo, up the Darling to Menindee to the hill. Then eventually up to Tibooburra & around sturt nat park, across the border to Noccundra & then west to nappa merrie & Innaminka down the strezleki to the flinders & home. Will be quite a trip in the 4 weeks leave we have. Anyhow that's the plan but may cut it short if time starts to run short. My wife wants to also do a flight over Lake Eyre while were in the area. It'll be interesting to see if we can fit all this in. Hoping to get a bit of fishing etc in while we're away.
FollowupID: 687467

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:21

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:21
We did the Hay River Track from the Madigan Line up 2 weeks ago and it was slow driving until about 40k east of Bookies camp, special the sand section along the Hay.

You may of seen our tracks.
AnswerID: 417384

Follow Up By: Geoff Dobson - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:57

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 14:57
Yep,
saw your tracks from the Madigan Line reference sign heading north.
We thought that big sand section wouldn't finish, even though the Hay River Track is spectacular in it's own tough way.
An interesting sideline, we passed a couple, one vehicle with an Ultimate trailer on the back, who was traveliing the Hay River Track, north to south, then onto the Madigan Line.
We wondered how he would fare, any thoughts on that?
He also went passed Bookies Camp but did not call in
cheers,
Geoff
FollowupID: 687476

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 16:52

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 16:52
We caught up with the couple in the Landcruiser and Ultimate at Jervois and spoke to them at length before they left, they had a lot of experience in remote travelling in harsh environment, they have done in excess of 100,000k of off road towing and that was their second ultimate.

It was lucky we caught up to them at Jervois as the had no permits for Artula and Lindsey camp, they spoke to someone before they left from the CLC who informed them they didn't need a permit, we informed them they did and gave them Joels phone number.

As you said before...thank god for GPS, we had to do 2 hours in the dark navigating along the Madigan.

The Hay River track was non existent and we had to veer of course a fair few times to avoid 2 to 3 meter was outs or get on good ground.

Did you stop at the billboard 40K from Lindsey's camp, we stayed there overnight for a well deserved swim.

We are doing some research at the moment with help from some people who travelled with us who are from Alice Springs regarding the rain fall in the area and whether a fire had been through in the last 12 month, it looked like a nuclear bomb went off.

Were Lindsey's guys still there repairing his camp?
FollowupID: 687492

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 17:36

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 17:36
Just thinking...you must of only been a few days behind us, we filled up at Jervois and spoke to the couple with the Ultimate, they were staying there overnight before heading down the Hay the next day.
FollowupID: 687513

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 18:22

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 18:22
We had a call from them on their sat phone asking for info' on the track conditions on the Madigan line heading west from camp 11, turned out that Dave (Mt Dare owner) was just west of them at the time & they turned back & went down to poeple Cnr then on to the rig rd back to Dalhousie Springs.

FollowupID: 687519

Follow Up By: Geoff Dobson - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:19

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 19:19
Hi all,
we met a couple of guys at the camp, I think on the Tuesday midday[time and dates seem insignificant out there!], we couldn't stop talking about the prospects of the couple, I agree they were well prepared, but I must say, you wouldn't get me out there with only one vehicle.Great to hear they finished up okay, I will let my guys know.
We had 2 Saharahs, a Toyota ute[ latest model] a BT50 [went real well] and my Nissan.
Sarahs were a bit heavy but excellent accomodation.I can't get over the condition of the country, why do people go OS to get their kicks?.
We kept to your tracks on the Hay River, thanks for that, never a straight line!
Cheers all
Geoff
FollowupID: 687529

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:25

Thursday, May 20, 2010 at 21:25
Jeff are you the one who had his 80 series swamped?.

We meet up with them on the Thursday.

Believe me we had a hard time and a lot of fun making new tracks, we had six vehicles and 14 people.

FollowupID: 687558

Follow Up By: Geoff Dobson - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:35

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:35
No, we didn't have that problem, we had 11 blokes in the 5 vehicles
FollowupID: 687598

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:44

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:44
olocoolone,

Yep,

The 80 in the image spent a couple of days under water in a flooded creek a couple of months ago, it's running ok now, just smells a bit!

FollowupID: 687600

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:53

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 08:53
Jeff we were the group who you were talking to about Toyo tyres, in the group was a beige 80 series, a troppy and a Hilux.

FollowupID: 687602

Follow Up By: Ozrover - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 09:47

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 09:47
Good to hear that you all made it ok.

I still decided on what new tyres to put on the new 80 series, looks like I'll probably go with Cooper STTs.

I have started to modify the new rims as per our conversation RE: tyre pressure monitors.

Dave used one across the Madigan line & reckons it's a great idea!

FollowupID: 687609

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, May 21, 2010 at 12:15

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 12:15
For you information I was the one with the Hilux. LOL

The 80 series suffered 2 punctures (speed and no looking I think) and both time the tyre pressure monitor alerted him...he thinks it's the best money he spent so far.

FollowupID: 687619

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, May 21, 2010 at 09:33

Friday, May 21, 2010 at 09:33
Back in about 1970? I went out there from Albury in NSW on an East to West trip accross the Simpson, then over to Poepels peg, all in a little first released model aircooled SUZUKI 4wd with another guy in another Suzuki, we went up and down the sand dunes with no hassles, had no modifications at all, everything was as it come from Suzuki factory, and that was my first experience with 4wd's

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 417512

Sponsored Links