Whats the best route to see the "floods"?

Submitted: Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:09
ThreadID: 78707 Views:3433 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hello
In about 2 weeks we are leaving (in our reasonably well equipped Land Cruiser 200) from Melbourne to go North to see the wildlife etc...... which has been so changed by the recent floods.
I thought that we could go first to the Menindee lakes (about 2 days from Melbourne) and then take about two weeks to go on a big loop through north NSW and central Queensland, and then back to, say, Cobar and then directly back to Melbourne.
Much i suppose will depend on whether or not Innaminka and birdsville are open but does anyone have any thoughts on the other best places to go?
regards
arnie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:42

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:42
I would do the Darling River run.

Lots of wildlife in the area and grass as far as the eye can see.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 417831

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 21:34

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 21:34
Just returned from the Darling River Run, Wentworth to Walgett, no floods to be seen. Plenty of water going through the regulator into Menindee Lakes.

Barry
FollowupID: 687937

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 07:03

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 07:03
But the OP did ask which route to do to see the changes that the flood has done and not see floods as such ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 687952

Follow Up By: Member - Niss42 - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 12:14

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 12:14
OP " Whats the best route to see the "floods"?"

"I would do the Darling River run."

" Just returned from the Darling River Run, Wentworth to Walgett, no floods to be seen.
Cheers,
Barry.
FollowupID: 687973

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 12:46

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 12:46
OP "In about 2 weeks we are leaving (in our reasonably well equipped Land Cruiser 200) from Melbourne to go North to see the wildlife etc...... which has been so changed by the recent floods. "

need I say more?? I stand by my suggestion of doing the Darling River Run as it will enable the OP to see the "Changes" to the area by the recent floods

The thread title may have mentioned Floods but it was then further explained what exactly he wanted to see :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 687981

Reply By: Member - Tony V (NSW) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:53

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 17:53
Arnie,

You do not say if you are towing or just driving anyway, Menindee is 810 km from Melbourne and easily achievable in 1 day.

I would be tempted to make Tibooburra the next stop and check there if you can get to Cameron Corner, always worth a look. You will also find out if Innamincka is an option.

Maybe Quilpie then Birdsville.

The other choice is to follow the Darling to Bourke then head to Birdsville..

So many choices, but would need to know if you are towing, camping or B&B'ing.
AnswerID: 417841

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:33

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:33
Some of the roads between Wilcannia and Bourke along the DR run were still closed when we returned 7 days ago, other sections were light traffic and passable but I would not like to get caught out as the local Bourke Council hits you with a $5K fine if you get stuck.

One would think they should be trafficable by now but I would be doing some checking first. We watched the area for weeks and were told by locals around Tilpa all was OK, but they wer going to get my dollars.

Be cautious.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 687920

Reply By: Rick (S.A.) - Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:37

Sunday, May 23, 2010 at 19:37
Lots to see heading up river from Wentworth via Pooncarie & Memnidee. Don't forget to sample some yabbies.

Based on experience 2 weeks ago, try the Paroo River, north from Wilcannia. It flows only irregularly and has beaut waterholes teeming with wild life. I am told taht it is the last unregulated - aka 'wild' river in the Murray Darling system.

Once into Qld through Hungerford & Eulo, you can set a new itineray for that part of the world

On good authority it is likely that the Burke & Wills Bridge will be out for another 4 weeks or so, so Innamincka is likely to be inaccessible from the east.

AnswerID: 417865

Reply By: Member - Jan Z (QLD) - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 15:23

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 15:23
Hi Arnie, as another suggestion try coming from Broken Hill after seeing the Menindie Lakes, down to Yunta, through to Arkaroola and the Flinders, up to Lyndhurst and then Maree, east Lake Eyre north at Mooloorina, then around to Cameron's corner etc. Have just returned from doing some of that and was super surprised to see the changes left in the gorgeous creek beds and surrounds. Most roads have been re-graded and it is only if the track is wet along from Maree that any problems may arise. Landcruisers can do it!!
Have fun,
Jan
Couldn't ask for any better!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 417944

Reply By: Fatso - Monday, May 24, 2010 at 20:39

Monday, May 24, 2010 at 20:39
Try incorporating a flight or 2 into your itinerary.
AnswerID: 417993

Reply By: arnienelly - Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 17:57

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 at 17:57
Many thanks to everyone for their help; we will sit down with some maps and work out the best routes subject, of course, to the roads being open. But that is a task that is usually best left to when you have arrived in the area!
Arnie
AnswerID: 418250

Sponsored Links