Suspension lift

Submitted: Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:31
ThreadID: 7881 Views:2885 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 83 swb patrol which is currently stock standard, just has the wide wheel pack (31x10.5x15). Went out on the weekend and found some excellent trails off the main roads in the wyong state forest, unfortunetly a couple of them had me sitting on chasis due to the not enough ground clearance causing me to reverse out, didn't want to push it and do any damage.
Just wondering if anybody out there can offer me any information on the best way to go for a lift nothing stupid, will this cause me many problems on angles for tail shafts and so on, I don't want to go stupid I'll leave that to the boys with more money than sense, and can anyone recommend some one decent to do the job in and around the hornsby in sydney. I don't have a lot of money to throw around, any information will be muchley appreciated.
Many thanks
Dix
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ross - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:54

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 08:54
Dix Im going through the same motions as you with my my MWB landcruiser.I found all the aftermarket springs give a 2in lift without any mods or stress on the steering components.After about 3 months of looking I have begun accumalating the parts.This week I got the springs ,4 leafs from Dobinsons in Queensland at $526.00.I got them thru TJM megastore.These are supposed to be good as they have the double wrap and are are made from quality steel.Tomorrow Ill be buying greasable shackles at $14 each form 4WD Parts. I could have got a complete suspension package but I found the pricing too confusing and difficult to ascertain exactlly what I was getting in terms of quality. I expect to spend around $1200-1300 by the time Im finished if I fit it myself.
My tip is you dont have to go for the big names to get a decent job. Some of the springs are made from cheap nasty steel from se asia or are a combination.If you want to save money just keep pricing as long as your patience allows.There is a big mark up on suspension products so sooner or later someone will give you an honest price .
AnswerID: 34120

Follow Up By: american guy - Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 13:25

Saturday, Oct 18, 2003 at 13:25
well dix, over here we go through the same thing you want to lift you truck and do it on a budget, to most of us in this contry thats a oxymoron any time you take you truck and lift it you are changing the way it is built her is my advice really it three questions
1. is the truck paid for?
2. what do you use the truck for?
3. do you like how it handles now?

you see dix anybody can put springs and or body mount lifts,
when you do the truck won't seem the same may handle worse to really lift you truck right save your cash and do it right in the long run you will be happer.

a freind or "mate" had his truck lifted just the body no frame lift it was a home made lift made from hocky pucks not a good plan the pucks rotted out and the cab settled and couldn't get the doors open big mess i had to jack the cab up just so he could get out.

hope this helps in your quandery
FollowupID: 24668

Reply By: Tony - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:07

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:07
For a fair price you can have your springs re-set and a extra leaf added, new bushes (they are pressed in on the MQ) then a good set of shocks.

A spring works in Woollongong does the re-setting, its just a matter of pulling the old ones off and sending them down to have them redone.
AnswerID: 34123

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 16:46

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 16:46
I had an MQ many years ago and had the springs re-set ... lasted about 3 months.

Matbe they do a better job these days.

I did go to a reputable spring works .. just wonder if it's worth it.Rosco
FollowupID: 24609

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:36

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 09:36
I purchased a set of "cheap and nasty" Belton springs made in malaysia or Indo for my old 60 series shooting truck as i could not justify spending half the value of the vehicle on the suspension, I also put "cheap and nasty" Kofab shockers on it, once again i did not want to spend a fortune and also greasable shackles. To date the whole set up has never failed me and trying to outrun foxes in rough paddocks gives the whole set quite a flogging. the old bus has done close to 50,000 road Kms since installation some of that loaded to the eyeballs with scuba gear and towing a camper trailer.

I can't see the sense in spending $2000 on an OME set up or the like on a vehicle thats worth 5 grand
AnswerID: 34129

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 13:38

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 13:38
SItting on chassis or diffs?

New springs will lift it you will find if they are Original that even just new ones, will lift your car 2inches due to sag. Then go with some 2inch lift ones, that will lift it 4inch! Get the drift. You will need new shocks too, all up will be approx $750-1000 at a guess.

Bigger tires.... That is the only thing that gives you more diff clearance. 32's should fit easy but you dont gain much.
AnswerID: 34152

Reply By: charlie - Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 18:18

Friday, Oct 17, 2003 at 18:18
I had my mq shorty lifted about 5 years ago by a bloke at Goodyear in Bris. I got two inches above normal by resetting the springs and I dont think they added a leaf but replaced the bottom ones. I think they got Fulcrum suspension to do the job. I also got cofab shockies as they were cheap but they didn't do a great job. I would probably go for something a bit better if I had my time again.

After all this people have been doing leaf over axle conversions which with your own springs will raise it considerably you may even be able to remove a leaf for a softer ride and better articulation and still have a 3 inch plus lift . Be very careful with drive shaft angles and make sure you aren't getting vibrations from the uni joints as they are fairly short. I put 32 inch rubber on my diesel and it didn't make much difference to power but was great on the beach.

have fun ,

charlie
AnswerID: 34193

Sponsored Links