Kiddie Rest Stop between Rocky & Mackay

Submitted: Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 17:49
ThreadID: 78876 Views:9972 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi folks,

Planning our first long journey for the CT we're taking delivery of in a couple of weeks. WE're doing the Brisbane > Cairns > Brisbane run over 3 weeks, though am stuck for a lunchtime rest stop location halfway between Rockhampton and Mackay -- ideally with a playground for two little girls. Searched and found Carmila Beach, though no playground there AFAIK.

Thanks in advance
Kylie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CJ - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:13

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:13
Mate I can't answer your question, there are not much

Usually when we travel the east coast of Qld we hammer the stretch up to Mackay as (for us personally) that stretch is quite boring. Rather then spend more time from Mackay north

CJ
AnswerID: 418676

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:19

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:19
How about St Lawrence? Don't know about a playground.... but is roughly half way on your journey.
regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 418679

Reply By: Member - Tezza Qld - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:22

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:22
Hi

There is a rest area come driver reviver stop with toilets etc agout half way between Mackay and Rocky, The name escapes me at the moment but we ussually overnight there on our way from Brissy to Townsville. A public phone is also there. Hope this helps

Cheers Teza
AnswerID: 418680

Follow Up By: Member - Tezza Qld - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:29

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:29
Waverley creek

13 ks south of St Lawerence

Cheers Teza
FollowupID: 688799

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:35

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:35
Kylie

Have a look at a nice little place called Clairview.

It's about 200k north of Rocky, and is right on a shallow beach.

George_M
Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 418685

Reply By: sassenach.girl - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:52

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:52
"Clairview has a Caravan Park with a Convenience Store, Community Centre, Rest Area with Amenities and Playground Equipment ..."

So Clairview it is! Thanks guys :)
AnswerID: 418688

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:57

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 18:57
Mind the intersection at Carmilla there have been a lot of bad accidents there.

It just has bad visibility and a lot of high speed traffic.

There used to be a great ice cream shop but I am pretty sure that closed a while ago.
FollowupID: 688810

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:09

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:09
That place was Flaggy Rock, been closed closed for some time which was a shame as the kids loved the stop for some home-made products.

Andrew
FollowupID: 688815

Follow Up By: D200Dug- Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:44

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:44
Yep! loved it!

The frosty Mango outside Townsville was the other one.

still open I hope ;-)
FollowupID: 688826

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:32

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 19:32
Hi Kylie, the Waverley Creek rest area would be your best bet for a stop on that stretch of road. As others have said Clairview can be a dangerous turn, Carmila is probably getting to close to Sarina by then.
Will be travelling along there ourselves around the 30th June and will have a night at Carmila Beach check it out in Camps Australia, best travelling guide around.
AnswerID: 418692

Reply By: Member - John R (cQld) - Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 20:49

Saturday, May 29, 2010 at 20:49
There is also a rest area and playground in Marlborough (about 2 kms off the Hwy) with a pool (no idea of opening hours), but that may be a bit too close to Rocky for your needs.
Clairview Beach is pleasant, as others have said, though I can't remember too much playground equipment. The rest area is almost through the town on the way out along the "main drag". The road goes back onto the Hwy if you keep following it. No problem with turning into Clairview if you take care.

Cheers, John
AnswerID: 418700

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:41

Sunday, May 30, 2010 at 19:41
Just to clarify the kid friendly situation between Rockhampton and Mackay:

- Marlborough. Turn off the highway and head in 2kms to the town. Facilities are basic with toilets and 2 old style swings with sand coverage. Shade provided by medium size trees.

- Waverley Creek Rest Area. A common stopping area, 150km (1.5 hrs) north of Rockhampton. Overnight stopping is discouraged now with small fencing restricting some of the parking area. NO playground facilities, a driver reviver operates during the peak holiday periods (limited days), basic toilet facilities, rough pot-holed road into the rest area at the moment, poorly maintained compared to its hayday. Still work a stop though, if nothing else for a toilet break after 70km of nothing :)

- St Lawrence. 16km's north of Waverley Creek to the turnoff. Worth the stop off the highway, 6km from the turnoff on bitumen road. A nice quite town which is the hub of the newly amalgamated Isaac Regional Council. A very nice Recreation Reserve is found just before entering the town, which is heavily patronised by 50 nomadic vehicles this time of the year. No kids facilities apart from toilets (and coin showers) at this site, however a nice St Lawrence Wetlands trail (couple hundred metres) can be followed from here or just up the road. The township has the Thomas Standish Recreation Reserve just over the railway line, turn left, 100m. Small but good kids playground can be found here, with a proper shade structure and rubberised ground protection. Icecreams available just down the road at the shop :) Access back to the highway can be as previous or turnat the railway line (where the boganvillias are planted) and follow the dirt road over an interesting causeway past the Wetlands to the highway.

- Clairview. 23 North of the main St Lawrence turnoff. Turnoff heading north can be found 1km north of the end of the 110km/h zone. Turnoff Southbound can be hard to find as it is marked as Colonial Drive on a small white signpost. Heading North, drive past the simple yet nice caravan park to the other end of the "town" to the Clairview Community Centre and Park. Good Toilets can be found here with an equally respectable shaded playground with rubberised ground protection. Overnight stopping is allowed at this location, though it will only take 6 nomads. ;) A caravan toilet dumping point is located here for travellers which is handy. As the park is on the beach, it is good to explore with the kids.

- Carmilla. Turnoff the highway and drive down the road to the park just over the railway crossing on the right. Another well shaded playground with rubberised matting for protection with a good field to run around if the kids are so inclined.

I hope that helps with some of the decision process, don't forget to take a break when needed, especially in this long stretch of your trip.

BTW, my pick would be Clairview. :)

Andrew
AnswerID: 418823

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:32

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:32
Andrew,

I reckon you should add all of those into places ;)

That is a very good report on all those areas, anyone would think you do it often LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689066

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:59

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:59
Thnking of adding them, possibly in a blog or similiar, as many a traveller is unaware of that stretch of highway being relatively long and dangerous.

Have photos, will upload them when i get back home.

Stopped in for a coffee at Calliope ;)

Andrew
FollowupID: 689146

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:02

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 20:02
I would think in Places with the description would help as well as the photos.

From what I can gather places only hyperlink if there is a photo attached.

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689148

Reply By: Member - Jo Q (NSW) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:22

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 11:22
Hi, I 2nd Clairview. There is definately a playground there outside the community centre. My daughter spent 3/4 of an hour there while I waited for the NRMA to bring me petrol!! Yes I know - dumb! It's only a small place and don't beleive the sign on the highway that has a picture of a petrol bowser on it - they don't have a service station!!

Happy travels :)

AnswerID: 418900

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:56

Monday, May 31, 2010 at 19:56
Fuel is available from the caravan park apparently.

Andrew
FollowupID: 689145

Sponsored Links