First Official Pictures of Cooper over the Birdsville Track

Hi All
Well those that have been following my update reports, you will have read my latest report that the Cooper has finally made it over the Birdsville Track during the early hours of last night. Speaking with Jade this morning (Jade is the Governess at Etadunna) she said that the phone up there has been ringing non stop from people wanting the latest news, they should have been watching this forum.

When Patsy and Jade checked it out late yesterday, the water was lapping at the side of the Track. First thing this morning they headed out in two vehicles, and were confronted with the water completely over the road. Patsy and Jade then walked over the road checking for the depth, being just over knee depth. When taking the vehicles over, a couple of places in ruts, the water was head light depth and still rising.

The following photos are supplied and taken by Jade, so ExplorOz has the first ever official pictures of the Cooper over the Birdsville Track. Thanks Jade for supplying the pictures and here they are for all to see.

Cheers

StephenImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:07

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:07
hi
wow thats amazing weather history repeating it's self
it's just one big ever revolving cycle
sometimes 20yrs sometimes 15 and sometimes 10yrs and anything in between
every part of aus is different
as i have seen in my grandparents recordings from 1928 in the district where i grew up
that's australia all over and
what makes this big wide brown land so intrigueing
to all those who will go to see it
have fun and enjoy
AnswerID: 419113

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:30

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:30
Hi mazcan
Those that are thinking of heading up that way, it will be one trip not to put off.
This is only the start of the water and it is going to get far greater and deeper.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689297

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:57

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:57
Still a couple of weeks before the ferry will be required??
FollowupID: 689388

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:21

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:21
Hi Spade
I am not quite sure where you have received your information from, but it is 100% false, sorry. If you check the Transport SA Northern Roads Report, the track is now officially closed due to flooding of the Cooper Creek.

When I rang Patsy and Jade first thing this morning, the boys were down taking videos of the crossing and if you know the area, water was lapping the toilet block and as Teraa has supplied below, the water is now over 1 metre deep and still rising fast over the road crossing.

Transport SA has now been caught out, having many months in advance notice that this was going to happen so I there are many locals up there that are far from happy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689391

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:34

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:34
Spoke to a fellow yesterday arvo who goes to Birdsville working all the time. He is actually planning a trip there from Perth in a couple of days. He assured me it would be a couple of weeks before there would be enough water to make it impassable.

He was taking a trailer and wanted to set off in time to beat the water.

I spoke to another guy this morning who also goes to Birdsville a fair bit and he didn't believe there was enough water to rise very quickly.

So where did I get my information?

From a cornflakes packet it seems like.

If you see a fellow with WA plates and a bemused look, trying to see how he is going to get his trailer on the punt. Tell him Spade said to say G'day.

FollowupID: 689396

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:41

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:41
Hi Spade
The speed at which it picked up over the last few weeks even had the locals talking. Depend on what reports that people have been watching, as there have been many varied and far from accurate information given out. The information that I have been posting was taken first hand from Teraa, Patsy, Jason and Jade and are based right where the action is taking place.

Your friends will not be dissapointed, as just to see all that water will be worth the drive alone.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689398

Reply By: Member - Lotzi (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:12

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:12
Thanks Stephen, Patsy and Jade.

Great photos, betcha the water woz refreshing . . . ))

Cheers

AnswerID: 419115

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:34

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:34
Hi Lotzi
The photos are great, but it would have been better to be there on the spot like Patsy and Jade. There will be a lot more great pictures to be put up, including my personal ones when I am are there in a couple of weeks.

As they say, keep watching this forum for more great pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689298

Reply By: camwill69 - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:52

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:52
Stephen,
Thank you very much for the photo's and update.
Regards,
Cam
AnswerID: 419123

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:41

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:41
Hi Cam
It adds a personal touch when you personally know the people on site. The station phone has been getting a real hammering today, including from myself. I have made 4 calls to Jade and Patsy today alone. It is great to think that these picture are the exclusive first seen pictures, and not from a paper or another internet site. How great is modern day communications.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689301

Follow Up By: camwill69 - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:57

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:57
Stephen,
Yeh it sure helps when you know people in the right spot. Great to have such up to date info too. This will be handy for my olds who are leaving very soon for this area (Mum are you reading this) lol.

Cheers and thanks again,
Cam
FollowupID: 689400

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 16:26

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 16:26
Hi Cam
Your parents will have a ball. I can not wait until next week myself.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689407

Reply By: Moose - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:58

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 15:58
Thanks Stephen
So I guess anyone going out that way had best be prepared for a ferry ride!
AnswerID: 419124

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:01

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:01
Hi Moose,
The actual road crossing will not stay open for much longer, probably less than 24 hours if the current flow rate remains the same. When I was speaking to Patsy tonight, she said than one of their work men was stopped in the water, talking to another person. When he drove off, there was a small 10cm fish stranded on his running board of the Toyota tray top. He could not believe that fish was there in that short time and brought it back to the station and showed Patsy.

The depth has risen a good deal today and there is still the main body to make its way towards Lake Eyre. It is only going to get better.

As for the ferry ride, Patsy was speaking the person in charge of the Northern Roads today and there is still no firm time for when the ferry will run.

I have 10 days before I head up there and it would be great to see it running by then, as the track will be closed well and good by them.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689304

Reply By: Peter Horne [Krakka] - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 16:45

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 16:45
Thanks and well done Stephen, have been following your reports with interest.
Regards

Peter
AnswerID: 419130

Follow Up By: Member - Vince B (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 17:48

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 17:48
Hi Stephen.
I will second Peter's comments.
Keep up the great work.
Regards.
Vince
FollowupID: 689273

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:06

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:06
Hi Peter
This is what this great site is all about, sharing information with other people that have a common interest. I am only the carrier pigeon, my thanks goes to people like Patsy, Jade and Teraa who are lucky enough to be on site and give my the first hand information and pictures.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689307

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 10:18

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 10:18
Thanks Stephen.
I am at Toowoomba on my way.
Looks like I have missed and it will be the long way round via the Plenty.
The channel country should be looking good though.
Cheers
Russ
FollowupID: 689368

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:23

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:23
Hi Russ
Depending on how quick you think it will take to get there, give Transport SA a call, as now there is over a metre of water over the track, they will now have to pull their finger out and get a move on, as the locals are far from happy.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689392

Reply By: Member - John & Sally W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 17:38
Hi Stephen,
Oh Wow. Thankyou for sharing all the info and photos. Wonder how long the water will be hanging around for? Guess there will be a traffic jam out there in the next few weeks.
Sally
AnswerID: 419144

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:12

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:12
Hi Sally
The water is going to get far better and should by all accounts last for around six months, if not a little longer. The last few weeks the rate of progress has caught everyone out by surprise. One of my passing comments with Patsy today was Jason's date of the 20th June for the crossing date. Jason has been keeping a very close watch, both by air and land. Patsy then went on and said that none of the other station people came near the date, so they all lost the bets.

Now that it has finally happened, they are gearing up for a great increase of traffic, just to see the water and the ferry.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689313

Reply By: Member - cuffs (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 17:49

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 17:49
Thanks Stephen for your research and work you have done to keep us all informed of this event.

AnswerID: 419147

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:16

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:16
Hi Cuffs
This is what I like doing, but I can not wait to get up there and see it first hand. I am heading up just before the long weekend. If you are up there then, you are welcome to join me, as I am doing a few other stations track as well that are usually out of bounds.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689315

Reply By: mechpete - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 18:12
well done ,
excellent photos .I have been following your reports for some time
hope to be up in the area in August
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 419149

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:22

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:22
Hi mechpete
All the thanks go to Jade for supplying them so I could use them here on the forum. What makes it even better is that the forum site viewer are the only lucky people to see them first hand, well before any other media organisations get out there. Another first for ExplorOz.

By August, it should be unreal and the ferry in full operation.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689319

Reply By: nbutt - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:33

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 19:33
Thanks Stephen for all of your many updates, very much appreciated. We were planning to travel to Birdsville from Melbourne late June up to Birdsville, however we have a camper trailer so the ferry is not an option. Does anyone no of an alternative to get around the Flood to travel north to Birdsville?

Cheers,
Neil

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419157

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:26

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 20:26
Hi Neil
Do not get put off just yet, give this number a call 08 - 8648 5231. Transport SA will be able to give you the latest correct information. This is one event that you would not want to miss.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689321

Reply By: Marion - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 21:34
Wow, Stephen, Patsy and Jade, thanks you soo very much for sharing with us your reports, research and photo's. We can't wait to get there to see it for ourselves. It has been so exciting reading your updates. What a privilege to see these photos hot off the press. Keep up the terrific posts.
Maybe see you all up the track, cheers Marion
Talawana
VKS Selcall 2691

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419171

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 22:43

Tuesday, Jun 01, 2010 at 22:43
Hi Marion
Thanks for that, it is a pleasure to be able to share what I have. I know that there are many more member that would do exactly the very same thing if something a public interest was happen near them.

I write this information, as I do not know how much coverage this event is getting in the other states of Australia, as even here in South Australia there is very little coverage about it. If I did not personally know both Jason and Patsy, then I would have had no on the spot information to share, so in the end it realy comes down to Jason and Patsy, Jade and Teraa.

I personally thinks it is great that these are the very first picture that were taken at the time of the event, not days after.

I like you can not wait until we are up there and see all that water first hand, and it would be even better if the ferry is running by the time we get there, but I am not holding my breath. On one of my other posts, it was reported by another person that the ferry was running, which is completely wrong. Here are a couple of pictures taken as late as last Thursday, and as you can see, it is still sitting high and dry, only days before the waters have cut across the Birdsville Track.

Cheers and enjoy your trip.

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689339

Reply By: olcoolone - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 09:36

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 09:36
Well Stephen looks like made it big time now.

The Adelaide Advertiser had an article referring to you and EO in it today..
AnswerID: 419209

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:26

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:26
Hi Olcoolone
I received a phone call yesterday, so you would be surprised who watches the forum.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689393

Reply By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:41

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:41
It's over rover the track is closed the water is 1m now. The punt isn't expected to be ready until the 14th
AnswerID: 419232

Follow Up By: Teraa - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:46

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 13:46
I am now madly going through all the forums cause my prediciton was end of May early June but I am still unaware of the prize.
FollowupID: 689386

Follow Up By: Spade Newsom - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:01

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:01
That is fast. Seems unusually fast.
FollowupID: 689389

Follow Up By: Dean - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:09

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:09
Just noticed that myself at Trans. SA

We need to tip our hat to Trevor Wright who said back in January that this would happen, this he mentioned on talk back radio. At the time I put on a post here about it but even the locals affected thought there wasn't enough water.

After seeing the pictures I wish I could go tomorrow but will have to wait till the school holidays.

Dean
FollowupID: 689390

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:35

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 14:35
Hi Teraa, Spade and Dean
When I was speaking the girls yesterday - (Patsy and Jade) they said the water was making fast progress and they said that within 24 hours it would have well and truly cut the Birdsville Track, how right are they, you can not beat local knowledge.

When I was speaking to them before work this morning, Nathan was down videoing and said that the water was lapping the toilet block.

As for the speed Spade, this is still only early days and it is going to get a lot deeper than the current 1 metre, there is just so much water still coming down.

This is one event that should not be missed and I know many people taking the drive just to see the water and have a ferry ride.

See you up there soon.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689397

Reply By: Member - Mudduck (NSW) - Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 19:48

Friday, Jun 11, 2010 at 19:48
Watching this thread with great interest as my club is heading out that way in a few weeks.
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 420474

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:24

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:24
Hi Steve
Make sure that no one is taking a camper, as they will not be able to take it over on the ferry. If there are campers in the group, you can camp a few kilometres away around Lake Koppermanna, the very same lake where the Lake Eyre Yacht Club are holding their regatta in a few weeks time.

Have a great trip and be prepared to see the most unreal sight.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691063

Follow Up By: Member - Mudduck (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:19

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 20:19
Thanks Stephen, most if us are towing campers but we are all keen to check out the cooper in flood. So we're not scared to double back to Birdsville and continue. But its all good and as long as were out there we'll be having fun.
Cheers Steve VK2UD
Dents are like scratches but with better stories

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 691170

Follow Up By: wizza 1275 - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:31
We visited the cooper last week and it is upto 4+ meters at the ferry, of course we had a ride with the kids. Sorry I'm not a member so cant attach any images although i did notice a explorer oz sticker on the road closed sign.
FollowupID: 692186

Sponsored Links