More Pictures of the Cooper Creek Flooding

Hi All,

The last 24 hours has proved what the locals had predicted, the Cooper would reach the Birdsville Track and then Lake Eyre. Jade and Patsy are as excited about the event as me, but and I am green with envoy, as they were right there to see it unfold.

Yesterday Jade told me unofficially that the way the water is coming down, the Birdsville Track would be closed in under 24 hours, and as you would now be aware, Transport SA now officially has the Track as Closed due to flooding of the Cooper Creek over the Birdsville Track. The depth of water has reached over the 1 metre depth and is flowing extremely fast. This morning when Nathan went down to see the mornings events, water was lapping the toilet block just down from the MV Tom Brennan.

Late yesterday when Nathan was heading back to the station, he stopped in the middle of the fast flowing Birdsville Track and talked with another vehicle and when he drove off, there was a 10cm little fish on the running board and they were very surprised that the little fish was that far down the Cooper in such a short time.

Enough of my ramblings and here are more pictures taken by Jade yesterday and today, thanks Jade.

Until my next lot of photos, start planning your trip to see this unreal event.

Regards to All

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Berniec - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:09

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:09
Great to see the photos and read the report. We were through there about this time last year and can really appreciate the sense of change that this flood is creating. Keep the reports coming.
AnswerID: 419286

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:22

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:22
Hi Berniec,
It is hard to explain to people the extent of the flood if they have not been there.
We have driven the Track lots of times and in all types of conditions, but have never seen it in flood like this. We are heading up late next week just for that very reason of seeing all that water. I have just got off of the phone from Jade and she has received lots of phone calls from her friend, all having seen the pictures her on the forum and telling her she is now famous.

I will post more when Jades sends more through.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689443

Follow Up By: Steve and Viv - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:42

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:42
Gee, they great pics...

We were also there and around the area for a while last year. It would be so much different to see it now - I wish we could. Well, you'll have to keep the pics coming. I'm looking at ours from the same time last year...Wow
FollowupID: 689446

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 20:47
Hi Steve
When we get back, I will have lots of photos and will put them up on a blog. We are counting down the days before we leave, 8 more sleeps.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689447

Reply By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 21:27

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 21:27
Hi Stephen, we are planning, we are planning LOL, thanks for the photos, it's a couple of months before we even leave but I am already getting awfully excited.

Cheers

Deanna

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 419302

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 21:35

Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 21:35
Hi Deanna
It will be unreal when you get there. I am now in limbo, as when I tried to ring the Marree Police to see about travelling on the closed track, I was diverted through to Port Augusta Police, being told that it is an offence to drive on a closed road, even if it is still open all the way to the Cooper Creek. When I spoke with Jade, she said that Patsy will find out further for me tomorrow.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689456

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:16

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 03:16
Aren't you going to visit friends??????? aren't you exempt if you live out on that road or visiting someone who is???

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 689480

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:02

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:02
Hi Deanna
I am visiting them, anyone can give either Jade or Patsy a call and they can confirm that I was heading up well before the crossing of the Cooper over the Birdsville Track. Patsy will be making enquiries for me today.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689490

Reply By: camwill69 - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 05:22

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 05:22
Thanks again Stephen.

They will have to change the name from the red centre to the green centre soon. We just spent 10 days away going from Qld to Adelaide to Alice (on the Ghan) then to the rock, home. Every where we went it was so so green. Beautiful to see it at it's best, but also provides a false sence of security.

Please keep reporting on this event, and thanks to Jade as well.

Cam
AnswerID: 419329

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:06

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:06
Hi Cam
Thanks for that and I hope that you took lots of pictures. Jade said that station life continues, flood or no flood and she was not able to head out for a look yesterday. She said that they will head out today for more pictures, so I will post them as soon as Jade sends them through.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689492

Reply By: carlsp - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:41

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:41
Hi Stephen,

I suppose you know that that fish is undersized and also that under the NSW Fisheries Act, it is illegal to use a landcruiser / patrol / hilux as a lure for catching fish. There is no mention of a Pajero however.
AnswerID: 419341

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:05

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:05
Didn't know the Birdsville Track went through NSW???

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 689491

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:12

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 08:12
Hi Carlsp
Nathan was as surprised as everyone else when the fish was on the running board. The thing that had them all wondering was that this fish was at the main head of the flood waters and less than twelve hours after the very first waters had crossed the Birdsville Track.

There is on saying which will prove correct in latter weeks and months to come, where there are little fish there are lots more bigger fish.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689494

Follow Up By: carlsp - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:36

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 09:36
Stephen will be happy about that. Close brush with the law there.
FollowupID: 689507

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:19

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:19
Hi Carlsp
I have it all sorted out and it is still OK to travel.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689548

Reply By: Dean - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:41

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 10:41
That's a very good point about the track officially being closed, how do we get there?
Dean
AnswerID: 419362

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:26

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:26
Hi Dean
Like I mentioned above, I was very concerned. I have contacted the Marree Hotel and was told that it will be no problems, just do not expect to get across the flooded Cooper. Also I have spoken with Patsy and she also said no problems.

One of the chaps at works was a Police Officer for 40 years and said that it will be no problems.

So Etadunna here I come in 1 weeks time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689551

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:52

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:52
Won't the Road Closed sign be at Marree?

FollowupID: 689639

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:58

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:58
Hi Shaker
I have made more calls after talking to the Police in Port Augusta. Both Patsy and the Marree Hotel said it should be no problems at all. To Make things even better, the ferry may be ready by next Tuesday, lets keep our fingers crossed.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689641

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:14

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:14
This makes it quite clear ......

Birdsville Track (Marree to Birdsville)
Closed - Marree To Mungeranie - No access across Cooper Creek floodway due to flooding. Note: Road is open to all vehicles from Marree to south of Cooper Creek, and north Cooper Creek to Mungeranie. Ferry access roads are CLOSED
FollowupID: 689647

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:55

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:55
Thanks for that Shaker

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689652

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:59

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 23:59
Hi Shaker
The Transport SA site is being updates at a great rate.

Here is a little more.

COOPER CREEK FERRY INFORMATION
Signs displaying condition of use of the ferry will be installed at Marree, Birdsville, Mungeranie and at the ferry crossing. It is anticipated that the ferry will commence operating on 8 June 2010.
Conditions of use of the ferry:
Maximum load for vehicles - 10t gross
Maximum load for cattle on hoof - 8t gross
Maximum length of vehicles is 7.8m - CARAVANS ARE NOT PERMITTED)
Persons use the ferry at own risk
No more than 6 persons permitted on ferry at the one time
No persons permitted in vehicles during crossing
Lifejackets must be worn
Use of ferry prohibited between sunset and sunrise
All persons must follow instructions and conditions in loading as directed by the ferry operator.
Further ferry information is available at www.sa.gov.au/ferryservices

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689653

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:36

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:36
Stephen, wonderful photos thanks to the girls (and Nathan) - can just picture it - Ian has seen it before but enjoyed looking at the photos this morning. Wondering when we can get away to see it also.
Doesn't it make you wonder why the fish are travelling that way?
Bit surprised to see them there so quickly though.
When the Diamantina floods we wait for a few weeks before the little ones (never big ones) always little ones and thousands of them arrive on the old causeway.
AnswerID: 419370

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:34

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 14:34
Hi Ruth
They were very surprised with the fish, seeing the body of water was at that stage less than 12 hours over the track.

Speaking with Patsy this morning and Nathan had to get to the other side of the Track. The body of water was more than one and a half kilometres wide and up to the bottom of his windscreen. I bet he had wet boots by the time he got to the other side and back. You will have to ask him when you next see him that you hope he is a good swimmer and the snorkel is fitted correctly. LOL

We are heading up there next week and can not wait for it. If it was not for work, I would be up there now.

Take care and regards to Ian.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689552

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:20

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:20
Hey, Stephen, we'll probably see you there next week if we can clear the diary (just watch me) - maybe we can spend our wedding anniversary (14th) on the ferry. We'll come in from the north so look across the water and see if we are there!!!
Ruth and Ian.
FollowupID: 689629

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:25

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:25
Hi Ruth
Just tell Ian that the Yellow Belly are 14" and that will get him down there. Keep an eye of for our Black Prado. We should be settled into a camp-site around lunch time on Friday, all things being equal. If the ferry is running it will be even better, but if it is not, don't worry as we are bringing up the double kayak, so we will be able to paddle over and see you..

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689632

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:29

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:29
Stephen, do you have a new car? We will be in the V8 ute and won't be bringing the boat! We will just have the tent and the dogs and will camp for a couple of days (with fishing gear of course). We might take the camper and dump it in Birdsville (for flash camping). What UHF channel will you be using? Be great to catch up on either side of the Creek - what fun. Can't wait - imagine if we really get to ride the ferry on the 14th - how good is that.
FollowupID: 689634

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:38

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:38
Hi Ruth
Had the Prado now for a couple of years. You name the UHF channel and I will man it. We must catch up, it will be great. Not quite sure where we will be camping, but it will be right on the water. Patsy and Jade will be directing me to a good spot I hope, but it is not that big a place, so we will see you somewhere, that is for sure.

A little dicky bird tells me there could be a couple of other members up there, so we should make it a little mini members gathering, and what a top spot to have it, what do you think?

See you somewhere on the banks of the Cooper.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689635

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:43

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:43
Don't worry we'll catch up - good idea about the mini-get together - I'll have plenty of merlot. We'll be on the water on the northside somewhere - maybe even camp near the ferry actually but if we have to swim across we'll find you.
FollowupID: 689638

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 17:32

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 17:32
Hi Stephen,
Lucky you, looks like you will be just in time for a ferry ride. According to ABC website, the ferry will be opperational next Tuesday.
Cheers, John (Heather actually)
AnswerID: 419408

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:04

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 19:04
Hi Heather
I hope you are right as from what I have been hearing, the date was the 14th, making it the Monday of the long weekend. Even though I would like to take the ferry, just camping up there by the Cooper will be the biggest bonus.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689583

Reply By: abchelle - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:57

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 20:57
Love the pics thanks. OK - I know this questoin is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.... but when it last happened, can anyone tell me rougly how long the Birdville track was closed? Are we talking weeks or more like months?
AnswerID: 419433

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:18

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:18
Hi abchelle
Here are the details from the last few floods when the Cooper went over the Birdsville Track and how long the ferry ran for:-

July 1974 - December 1974

October 1989 - January 1990

July 1990 - January 1991

June 2010 - ??????????

As for this year it will be similar or a little greater to the last floods of 1990. The locals say that with the amount of water that is coming down, it should run for at least 6 months even longer. Some locals are still saying that the ferry will still be running past January 2011???

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689627

Reply By: abchelle - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:37

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 21:37
A wealth of info...! Thank you - you are spot on.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 419439

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:09

Friday, Jun 04, 2010 at 22:09
Thanks for that, but it help with friends on the spot.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 689768

Reply By: LARRY Landcruiser - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:59

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 10:59
Hello Stephen.
I think I was the one you stopped and talked to. Landcruiser tray with canopy,
we saw you again later with ya missus and video camera. There was a bloke camped in the middle of the flooded section, I gave hime 4x VB cans as he had non. I reckon he was mad as the water was rising fast hope he got out OK>. I have you on video picking up the fish from the running board of your cruiser.

Randall.

PS. the lyndhurst pub web page has some of my pics .

I'm back at work now in Ballarat..

randall@ballind.com.au
AnswerID: 420141

Follow Up By: LARRY Landcruiser - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:07

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 11:07
Just read the post again.
Silly me .... It must have been Nathan we talked to.
Randall.
FollowupID: 690315

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 14:08

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 14:08
Hi Larry
You beat me to it, it was Nathan from Etadunna. We are heading off tomorrow and we can not wait. You would have had a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690340

Follow Up By: LARRY Landcruiser - Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 14:38

Wednesday, Jun 09, 2010 at 14:38
Stephen L. Awesome trip. 5267Klm. Ballarat to Ceduna. Googs track, Lake Everard station, (my old man worked there 50 years ago) then Kingonya,Cooper Pedy,Odnadatta,William creek,fly Lake Eyre,Marree, Birdsville track to see Cooper creek and flood water + ferry.Back to Marree, Lyndhurst, then home via Broken hill.

PS> If staying at Coward springs take some wood for hot shower.
You'll get it from the old GHAN rail line.

Wish i was still out there ,

Enjoy ya trip.

Randall ( LARRY)
FollowupID: 690346

Follow Up By: Spiderbesideya - Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:18

Monday, Jun 14, 2010 at 20:18
Hi travellers. we.re heading across the Simpson and back along the Oodnadatta Track in September (way too far away !). Larry Landcruiser, how far / long is that run up to the Cooper for a wee peek at the flood waters, before we head off to Innaminka ??
FollowupID: 691015

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 06:51

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 06:51
Hi Spiderbesideya
The trip up from Marree to the actual ferry site is a comfortable two hour one way trip and well worth it. If you can hold out, fuel (diesel) is 35 cents per litre cheaper at the Lyndhurst Hotel compared to Marree.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691059

Follow Up By: LARRY Landcruiser - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:41
Hello Spiderbesideya
Stephen L is on the money there.
We did it just to see flood waters , well worth the journey+pictures.

Randall (Larry landcruiser.)

FollowupID: 691068

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:51

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:51
Hi Randall
As you personally know, it can only be described as "UNREAL"

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 691073

Follow Up By: LostDingo - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 19:53

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 19:53
is the track open once past Cooper Creek?
FollowupID: 692178

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 19:59

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 19:59
Hi LostDingo
Yes once over the Cooper on the ferry, the road is open all the way to Birdsville.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692181

Reply By: LostDingo - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:44

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:44
Good Stuff! Plan on going in August.....can't wait
AnswerID: 421781

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:50

Tuesday, Jun 22, 2010 at 20:50
LostDingo
Keep an eye for my vehicle, as we are doing it again, also in August.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692190

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 06:40

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 06:40
I will ! Looking forward to it. You taking a kayak are you? :-)
FollowupID: 692219

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:49

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:49
Hi Paul,
Yes, I took it last time and will take it again. It will look very strange taking it over the Simpson, but yes it will be used in a few places where there is still water.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 692223

Follow Up By: Member - Paul P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:58

Wednesday, Jun 23, 2010 at 19:58
Very Cool !
FollowupID: 692261

Sponsored Links