Northern NSW Health Advisory announcement

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 02, 2010 at 22:06
ThreadID: 79014 Views:2985 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just in and regarding the low number of children being vaccinated in Northern NSW. Advisory is if you are traveling through the region especially with children or if you are not in good health.

[quote]: [b]Travel Advisory[/b]
If you have children who are immuno-compromised or not fully up to date on their vaccinations, you should probably steer clear of the Northern Rivers region of New South Wales. Vaccination rates in this area are dangerously low and children are therefore at increased risk of contracting measles, mumps, rubella, pertussis (whooping cough) and other diseases.

Treat the region like a 3rd world country. If you must go there, take extreme care. If you must pass through it on your way to or from Queensland, stop only for a short time and do not allow your children to interact with locals.

http://www.facebook.com/l/c2b2c;www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/provider/incentives/gpii/stats.jsp
[/quote]

Vaccinations save lives.[/quote]
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 05:47

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 05:47
This is apparently correct.
There are a large number of alternate lifestyle people living in the area who do not believe in immunisation.
Also, there was a group up here, Bangalow area, who were spreading disinformation about immunisation but they are now subject to a court challenge led by a leading well known wealthy Australian explorer. They have disappeared lately.
Take care.
DW
AnswerID: 419330

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 06:12

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 06:12
Hi DW,
Boy hasn't your part of the world changed in the past 15 years or so. I remember as a kid riding my push bike from Ballina to Lennox with a big stack of cardboard to ride down the Lennox point on the grass hill. Still have a lot of mates in Byron, anyway.
Unfortunatley It's not just 'alternate lifestyle people' that don't believe in immunization. I know of educated and well learned people around the Byron area that refuse to immunize the kids. It's like talking to a brick wall, Yes I keep an ear out about what happens just up the road and I was wondering why I haven't heard of them of late. It usally made a news story some where at this time of year.
Cheers.

FollowupID: 689484

Reply By: Member - Andrew (QLD) - Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:15

Thursday, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:15
Just who is issuing this "travel advisory" ?

Considering it came from Facebook, i wouldn't believe the information without a valid link to this advisory. The link contained in that information (deleting the Facebook tracking component) mentions that the overall vacination rates as 79.6%, hardly third world standards! Whilst there may be pockets of the community choosing not to vacinate for whatever reason, there is no reason to tarnish the rest of the community.

Based on those numbers, I am issuing an advisory to avoid Eastern Sydney due to the same reasons. :) Surely people should avoid that area as the problem is the same, or are we a nation where we love stereotyping communities and knocking the poorer cousins?

Just my thoughts....

Andrew
AnswerID: 419337

Sponsored Links