Rawnsleypark Stn - info

Team.

Lookin for some up to date info Planning our Flinders trip for Sept/Oct this year, having not been to Rawnsley park, have heard mixed reports on the place. http://www.rawnsleypark.com.au/

Found some old threads on various forums saying its awesome and has everything.
But at club meeting this week I was talkin to a few blokes in our club they were disappointed with the place, said it was like a desert, no shade, and barren.

Anyone been there recently know what the conditions and its like? Looking to basecamp out of there for 4-6 days and day trip from there. We will have a few campertrailers and one 5 star latte' sipping p00f with a caravan all with kids, so will want to keep them entertained with games and bikes etc, but want to be 'on our own'...

Any other options local to it in that area of the Flinders?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Warwick D (SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 11:35

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 11:35
Greetings, I use Rawmsley as my base for the FLinders, Good Camping area, good showers etc, cabins if you need them, ideal location, Cheaper than Wilpena and just as good to camp. Fewer "compeditors" for space and the like. Very close to Wilpens pound if you want to teck through it. I like the quieter aspects of it. It will be COLD at this time of the year. Warwick
AnswerID: 419627

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:48

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:48
thanks for the heads up :)
FollowupID: 689852

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:03

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:03
We like Rawnsley - wonderful scenery around the camp and some good walks on offer, varying from easy to hard (the Bluff walk is a beauty - fab. views but hard in spots and takes quite some hours - there is a 'W Pound' sidetrack walk off that climb too). The ridge walk behind the CP is great also. They have fuel, gas and a shop if you forget anything etc. Reasonable rates in the powered CP - we took our new 18' offroad van there last year and went 'out the back' to the unpowered camping area - the road was a little squeezy but a full height van can get out there without scratching anything - it's about 1km up the valley - ton of room, but the small native pines offer little shade for the summer - not an issue in the cooler months. They do have flushing toilets out in the camping area, with washing water taps too as I recall. Showers are back in the CP. They might sell firewood - can't recall - we take some with us. I can understand the place being desert-like in summer and autumn, but the whole region is ! Not much point being there until they have had some rain to freshen the place up - we made the mistake of going to Arkaroola one April - after a long hot summer, within a 7 year drought - that was hell - even the native animals couldn't survive it.
AnswerID: 419631

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:49

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:49
Walk?? WALK??!!! I have a car for a reason*
Thanks for the good info.

*reason = Im lazy :)~
FollowupID: 689853

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 18:10

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 18:10
Truckster (Vic) posted:
Walk?? WALK??!!! I have a car for a reason*

Your car will never get you here Truckster
Image Could Not Be Found

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 689868

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 20:09

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 20:09
I have the m/bike for that :)
FollowupID: 690015

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:40

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 21:40
Mmmm - i don't fancy your chances at scrambling up rocks carrying your bike on your back LOL

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 690034

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:04

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:04
Hi. I was there a couple of weeks ago. I've been there a few times now. First, Rawnsley Park is in the Flinders Ranges!! so it tends to be a bit drier than the North Coast of NSW!! So it is not all lawns and big deciduous trees. Plenty of trees, but not many big ones. Sites generally levelled gravel, a fair size (4WD, van with annex plus room to move). Fantastic views of the Western face of the Pound, plus the Chace Range to the South. By Sept/Oct it will be warming up, but also getting more popular, especially if you coincide with the school holidays.
So, if you like the Flinders, you should love Rawnsley. But if you prefer the Ottways, then Rawnsley will appear 'barren' in comparison. Bit like going to Hotham in July and complaining if it's covered in snow!
Plenty of walks within the park area and surrounding country, plus close to various "must see's".
But then, I am biased!!
AnswerID: 419632

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:52

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:52
Not expecting lush green pastures like a telly tubbys toon, just some shade be nice of rest days.

We have no choice but to go Holidays sadly.. Work - we were a team of 8 at work, but in their wisdom they kulled off 6 and cannot understand why there is now 260hours of programming backed logged.

Now they need contractors @200hr they are crying and not giving the bloke a pat on the back that they gave him when he kulled the 6 people off and saved money...

Thanks for the info :)
FollowupID: 689854

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:17

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:17
Hi Truckster
There is also nothing wrong with staying at Wilpena Pound Also. The only thing is you have to watch for the locals going through you gear. LOL

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 419635

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:27

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:27
Agree...I prefer Wilpena camp grounds. Better walks/treks. Lots for the kids to do and see. Nice bistro if you feel the urge to lash out for a cooked meal. General store has good supplies, fuel etc. and close to the tourist 4WD tracks like Moralana station scenic drive.

Having said that....have a look at Angorichina Village as well. I've stayed there too and it makes a nice base camp if you want to head a bit more north to places like Beltana, Farina, Leigh Creek (great mines tour), Parachilna, Arkaroola, Blinman pools, Mount Falkland. Has fuel and a very extensive General Store.

Rawnsley although beautiful as well, and having most of the facilities that Wilpena has, is a bit more open and I can't help feeling the wind will whip through there a bit more in the winter time, although the camp grounds probably get more sunlight than Wilpena.

Each to their own....you won't dislike and of them, but for me..Wilpena is my favourite.
FollowupID: 689847

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:39

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:39
Thanks for the info and suggestions.
We only stopped at Wilpena last time on the way thru for a short stay.. I didn't check out the campground.

But we found the Roos very friendly there!
Sounds good.
FollowupID: 689850

Follow Up By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 09:06

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 09:06
Wilpena for me every time!
FollowupID: 689925

Reply By: Dave B ( BHQ NSW) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:24

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 12:24
Funny you should say about hearing mixed reports.

I have heard mixed reports about Toyotas and Nissans, Waeco and Engels, IPF's and Lightforce and the list goes on.
I wonder why that is? Maybe everybody has a different opinion.

Go there and make up your own mind if it suits you.
There are lots of other places to go in the Flinders if Rawnsley doesn't suit you.

Dave
'Wouldn't be dead for quids'

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 419636

Follow Up By: Baz&Pud (Tassie) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 14:16

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 14:16
Well said.
Go caravaning, life is so much shorter than death.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 689838

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:33

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:33
You could learn a lot from looking at this thread...

See there are several **useful** posts, informative, with great personal experience, even photos. Suggestions of other locations, and things to try. All the people are saying it is good.

So you could deduce from the fact that nobody has said its crap/poor/waste of time/dont go there that it is a good place to stay.

Then theres your waste of electrons.
FollowupID: 689849

Follow Up By: johnsuzy - Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 14:38

Sunday, Jun 06, 2010 at 14:38
Well said. We were at Rawnsley two weeks ago it was absoutely fantastic. Stayed in a cabin not in the caravan park. Although did drive up to the caravan park to have a look see for when we take our caravan up there. Because we are definately goin back. Would recommend either park at Rawnsley or Wilpena both look great. We were only in a falcon station wagon but had no problem with tracks that we went on. As it is bitumen all the way to Blinman now, we found we enjoyed it even more this time than last when we stayed at Blinman itself. We did Moralana Scenic drive and then went from Blinman to Parachilna and had no problems at all. Did a few of the lookouts aswell. I agree everyone has different ideas of what is great, but I would definately recommend the Flinders Rangers being on everyones bucket list.
But a must is have a meal at the Blinman pub. Great food great service. The Woolshed Restaurant at Rawnsley is a bit of a dissapointment plus very expensive. But that's just my opinion!
Hope you and yours have an enjoyable time.
FollowupID: 689965

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 15:44

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 15:44
The Flinders is camping heaven at the moment and there has been so much rain that it will still be great in September. Rawnsley or Wilpena are both good for camping. If you want to get out of the camping ground and happy to go off the bitumen for a bit, you wont have any problem finding a spot down Parachilna Gorge, with the added advantage that you can start at the Blinman pub end and work your way throught to the Parachilna pub end. Excellent free camping in the Gorge. Great food at the Parachilna pub but the camp ground area there is being re-developed and not recommended for a stay.
\With a few days to do it in, you might consider a circuit. Start at Rawnsleigh, move up to Wilpena, a night in Parachilna Gorge, lunch at the Parachilna pub, drive south and home. This has the advantage of seeing the ranges from both sides at the time of day that the sun is hitting them. You can't really go wrong.
AnswerID: 419656

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:42

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 16:42
Yea we are going to do a few days here and there.

We are doing 22 days all up probably startin round Burra and going north up to Marree.. Hopefully to get to Marree at the 1/2 way point in days.

Then see if we are all still friends at that point :)~
FollowupID: 689851

Reply By: lizard - Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 23:51

Saturday, Jun 05, 2010 at 23:51
We stayed just up the road at Willow Springs station , we have a 21'6 (inside) Billabong van & got into campsite #1 - probably the only one that van would get into - there are heaps of private sites for camper trailers ... we enjoyed it a lot - we drove the Skytrek - but I think there is an access issue to some of it - I recommend Willow Springs .
AnswerID: 419711

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:16

Tuesday, Jun 08, 2010 at 19:16
Cheers Mr... Appreciate it.
FollowupID: 690245

Sponsored Links