recomendations on camper trailers

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:23
ThreadID: 79267 Views:4745 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
hi all i was just wondering if any one had ideas on a brand of camper trailer that stands out above all others. in two years time we are packing everything up and exploring this great country of ours and will be living in the camper for approx two years. so it needs to be strong reliable and fairly quick to set up at least to stage one for one night stops.
also needs to be suitable for children, and dogs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mr Z - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:25

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 12:25
plenty to choose from depending on you preferences/requirements,
have a look at ultimate campers
AnswerID: 420515

Reply By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:37

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:37
To live in camper trailer for 2 years is a valiant goal.

If you want advice I think you have to be more specific.
On road or Off Road'

What do you mean by a "camper trailer" , a tent on a trailer or a hardtop with vinyl sides eg Jayco Eagle.

I would think for 2 years you will need a caravan of some type or at the very least a Jayco type thing..

How many kids? How big?

Regards Philip A
AnswerID: 420525

Follow Up By: Jezza77 - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:44

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 14:44
Im pretty sure we could handle a camper trailer, being a regular camper. obviously off road for us, couple of kids and couple of dogs. we will be decking out our 200 series making into a twin cab with all the modcons. we already have a off road trailer that i am wanting to convert.

suggestions of a good camper trailer manufacturer?
FollowupID: 690728

Reply By: Road Warrior - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:25

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:25
Umm...how much were you wanting to spend?
AnswerID: 420530

Follow Up By: Jezza77 - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:32

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 15:32
we havent really put a maximum on it as to buy something of poorer quality is going to cost more in the long run in repairs and so forth and we also plan on keeping after the trip due to now having young kids a tent isnt really adequate anymore. a really well designed easily excesable kitchen would be necesary to for the quick roadside lunch stop and the more liesurly campmeals
FollowupID: 690732

Follow Up By: Rangiephil - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 21:54

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 21:54
Well my pick was and is a Camp'o'matic hard floor. I bought a 97 and would not swap it for anything else. I have spent 3 months in the Kimberley etc and it has been great. But there are only 2 of us. It is also fine in wet weather for 2 with the awning up which again takes less than 2 minutes. it only weighs about 650Kg loaded which I like as I am not a tower.

Maybe a hard floor with the kids in a tent is your answer as hard floors take 30 seconds to put up, and the kitchen slides out for quick lunches.
However they do not have much storage compared to a soft floor.
Some good brands -Camp'o'matic up to 2004 when they stopped being made by the original owner.
Ultimate- Very popular but has inside kitchen. Has extension that can go under the main bed for the kids.
Kimberley has a good rep but expensiive. and T van has a great following but probably more for 2.

Look I think that a soft floor gets very old very fast in consistent wet weather. We have friends from Canberra who were stuck in WA in 3 weeks of rain. they got so sick of it they traded it in WA and went home in a Coramal camper. It is no fun in a downpour to have 120MM of water flowing through the tent and folding a big awning of wet canvas is no fun.
Regards Philip A

FollowupID: 690764

Reply By: Member - William H (WA) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:10

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:10
Good afternoon Jezza.
what state are you in, and how much do you want to spend,
Cheers for now...Williamh...Bunbury...WA.
AnswerID: 420541

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:19

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:19
Jezza I doubt there could ever be a camper that stands out above all others as by there design they are a compromise in one way or another to suit individuals needs. You have to decide for yourself what features are most important possibly starting with the type of trailer you are after. Canvas fold out type which has heaps of living space, a flip over system which errects very quickly or a hard wall mini caravan type which are better insulated.
Offroad ability varies considerably so you need to decide if you are going to do remote trips like the Canning or just stick to the major tourist routes.
Finding a camper that has internal room for kids will cut the top end options down as many are really designed for retired couples.
My suggestion is to go to a big caravan show & climb through them all & dare I say, leave the dogs with family if possible as they will make visiting 1/4 of Australia's attractions far more difficult.
Cheers Craig............
AnswerID: 420542

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:51

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 17:51
Gotta love Phil's description ... 'a valiant goal' :-o) ..... Sir Humphrey might have said a 'courageous decision' :-o)......... but seriously.... plenty have done it and a lot more will do it. Seems that most of the quickly deployed flip-over hardfloors won't have much usable sheltered space for the whole family, unless you get into a lot of wall building and zipping (at times you will all need to hide indoors) .......two expansive softfloors that come to mind that erect fairly quickly as I recall (and with reputations for robust hardware) are the Adventure range here in Adelaide and the Trakshak (was in Adelaide - now Sydney I think) - there's probably others too.
AnswerID: 420545

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 18:03

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 18:03
Your first big decision is whether you need fast set up/take down or max space. If you are going to be staying in places for some days, I'd suggest go for space. If you envisage camping by the road as you cover large distances, you want speed of set up. I'd suggest trying some flip over models and some fold out models to see what you can live with, then having narrowed it down a little, ask again. It also depends a bit on which parts of the country you intend being in at what season. We have had flip over and fold out campers and small tents and swags. Something to be said for all of them, in different parts of Oz at different times of the year.
The fold out give you more carrying space for the weight of the trailer. You might consider a couple of small fast set up tents for overnight stops and a foldout for more extended stays. In this case, you'd go for a unit that also included a fast set up kitchen so the cooking area was available immediately while the tents were going up.
AnswerID: 420550

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 18:20

Saturday, Jun 12, 2010 at 18:20
I went to Maitland caravan and camping show the other week and was amazed at the number of camper trailers and variations they had.

I have an old Cameron Camper Trailer with a home made pull out kitchen. I payed $5000 secondhand for it. It is full off road and built like a brick dunny. It has a large sleeping area King size Bed and even larger inside family area. There is an annex with walls if I want to put them on.

Now at the show I looked at similar camper trailers, mind you some are very flash. The price ranged from $14000 to $56000. After 4 hours of looking I concluded the old Cameron was all I would ever need.

Wife liked the top of the line $50000 one because it had a hot water system and a outside shower. It was well built and everything was stainless steal. Nice kitchen and well it had everything you could think of. One problem it ONLY SLEPT TWO and there was much less room in it then my Cameron.

We looked at some off road Caravans with shower toilet ect but again these only slept two people.

Suggestion, Go and Hire one for a weekend and see how you like it. Most of the Hire ones are reasonably equiped.

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 420551

Reply By: Jezza77 - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:55

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 10:55
thanks for all the input, to answer a couple of the questions we live in darwin so our options are very limited which ever way go we will have to bring it from interstate. we also plan to do all the classic tracks and stick to the black stuff as little as possible, having done the cape a couple of years back we fully realise that towing a trailer can be inconvenient at the best of times.
we have allowed our selves two years so we can spend considerable time in spots of our choosing along the way and work the stays in to appropriate times of the year even if this means doing a bit of zig zaging around.
as soon as the roads are open we will be heading west to see the kimberly as this and tasmania are the two remaining spots we are yet to see.
thanks for all the advice we may have to fly interstate and attend a large camping show to get a real feel for them.
AnswerID: 420614

Follow Up By: Chipsy - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:06

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 18:06
Hi there Jezza, I too live in Darwin and just bought a camper second hand from qld and poor husband had to go and get it which was a pain but so worth it. we have three small children and I would LOVE to up stumps and take off but for some of our family career comes first at this point.
last year I met a couple who left from adelaide to travel around the country in a soft floor camper and had their first baby up here and brought him home to the camper. I kind of remember thinking they were out of their minds but really its all so doable its just a different way of living.
I think that the soft floor campers are great for the room they provide but I love the easy set up of our hard floor and the kitchen which is accessable to stop for lunch or even a cup of tea for a break. you can still set up awnings etc and build a castle out of it for when you want to stay in one spot and it doesnt take much more time than putting up a soft floor anyway. IMO it gives you more options. I love that its all set up all the time and it has everything we need.
good luck for your journey.
FollowupID: 690827

Reply By: beatles 1 - Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 19:53

Sunday, Jun 13, 2010 at 19:53
hi, we are shordell campers, new camper on the block. check this site out and see what you think of it.
www.shordellcampers.com
The one on the site is an on-road version, we also do an off-road and we are strictly custom build. We have got a couple out there already
Please let us know what you think of the camper trailer at this email shordell@westnet.com.au
Thank you, Shordell Campers
AnswerID: 420674

Follow Up By: beatles 1 - Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:21

Tuesday, Jun 15, 2010 at 07:21
Hi jezza
had any luck finding the right camper...check www.shordellcampers.com ,great family trailer,we have 1queen & 1 double on top and the floor space 3x3metre, so you can fit single bunk beds or another double blow without putting extra rooms on .....the kitchen pulls out 2.3metres long so hav browse at the web site some of the site is still under construction,but you can look through the trailer....have a great day.
FollowupID: 691062

Sponsored Links