Is anyone going to "The Great Australian Cattle Drive" ?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 793 Views:1611 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My partner and I and a few mates are going to the start of the great australian cattle drive at Birdsville on the weekend 4/5 May 2002. We were wondering if any other Forum users were going to be there. It's sometimes nice to put a face to a name and tell more lies face to face. As Karsten John (a forum participant) run a Cafe at Birdsville we could possibly meet there and do something I have never done in Birdsville-i.e. have a coffee- and then go to the pub for our free beer and then some. Karsten John could possibly keep us up to date with what is happening in Birdsville such as road conditions, camping, events other than the John Williamson concert on the Saturday night. Hope to see you there. Mal.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth - Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00
You will enjoy your visit to Birdsville. Come and have a cappuccino with me at my Billabong Cafe at the Birdsville Caravan Park as well - 30 acres along the banks of a billabong full of birds. You didn't mention which roads you want to travel on otherwise I could give you a road update, that's part of my job too. Other events happening the weekend of the Great Cattle drive:
Friday - Bronco branding & Barrell Racing (Ladies), this is very exciting to watch. Friday night - Bush Dance with Ned and the Kellys with a meal available at the Birdsville Hall, Saturday a.m. - the finals of the Bronco Branding and at 1:00 p.m. the Street Parade of horses, drovers, stockmen etc. Evening - the John Williamson Concert. Sunday = 11:00 a.m. - sit on a big sandhill south of Birdsville, on the SA border and watch the cattle count as the cattle are handed over to the Drovers, the tuppence customs levy (hopefully) extracted - this is how and why Birdsville came about many years ago - this levy will go to the Royal Flying Doctor I believe, then at 1:00p.m. The Great Cattle Drive takes off down the track. Weather - 15 min and 30 max today, should be lovely by May.Camp fees - $6 per head per night (unpowered) - great showers.
Nice people, good fun (fishing was o.k. today too). Anything else? Let me know which roads you are hoping to travel on and I'll tell you their condition.
AnswerID: 2561

Follow Up By: Mal Try - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Ruth, thanks for your reply. We'll be travelling to Birdsville via either Boulia or Windorah and departing via Cordillo Downs to Innamincka. We will drop in for a coffee as I hope many others do. What is the estimated crowd number? This will be our fifth time in Birdsville so we are aware of the great hospitality. Looking foward to meeting you. Regards, Mal and Lynne.
FollowupID: 962

Reply By: Ruth - Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Apr 03, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for your reply, Mal. Have I got news for you - at long last the Cordillo Road has been graded - should have finished the last bit to the SA/Qld border yesterday (2/4/02). That is good news.
AnswerID: 2603

Follow Up By: Mal Try - Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00
Ruth, thanks for the info. Does that mean all the road from Birdsville to Innamincka is OK? How about the Boulia and Windorah roads? Any guesses on numbers for the weekend? See you there, Mal.
FollowupID: 973

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)