Hyundai Terracan

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 19:43
ThreadID: 7930 Views:2074 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Have just got back to Bathurst after spending the day at the Sydney Motor Show at Darling Harbour. My first ever visit and worth every bit of the $15.50 to get in. Never seen so many vehicles all together before. Now after asking you guys about the Nissan X Trail and getting plenty of good advice I am now swaying towards the Terracan. As value for money for what I want it to do I am very happy with it so far. Also they are the only dealers who are prepared to give me $30,000 for my VX Commodore as a trade in. Alright I could try to sell it privately but I am prepared to get a bit less as I really don't have the time (business committments) to advertise it. Some trade in figures have been as low as $20,000. At the end of the day it is the changeover figure that is important.
All I would appreciate is some feedback from Terracan owners or someone you know who has one. Please no critisism about the car, just some feedback, either good or bad. Also if anybody does any towing with one as I will be towing a Camper Trailer of about 1000Kg.
Unfortunately a very few on this forum just rubbish cars without obviosly knowing the first thing about them. So please some comments from owners or people who know an owner.
I want this vehicle to last me 5 to 8 years until I retire from my homebrew business and I want to make the right decision.
I thank you in advance.
Cheers
Brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:39

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 21:39
Hi Brian
A family member of ours is very high up in hyundai (On the mechanical side, and flies all over the world with Hyundai, spends more time out of Oz than in).
5 Months ago I was really taken in by Terracan myself, they had everything I wanted and were so comfortable. i thought beauty until I spoke to the family member when I got home. I was a Sonata owner, which are hyundai, and the dealer was ready to give me a good deal and I had almost signed on the dotted line, but I wanted to talk to this person first.
Well what he told me really dissapointed me, yep great car, looks good, drives nice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but only for the first 10 - 15000 kms. But the big problem in them is the wiring, especially if you are on rough roads, and hey, well where are 4wd's supposed to go. Apparantly the wiring loom in them pathetic and it is something they wont fix because of the financial side of it. And now Hyundai have been brought out by Korea, parts will be even harder to get. I was so annoyed that the dealer hadn't been honest and he knew who I was and who I was related to, but it didn't seem to worry him. Of coarse he wont admit to the wiring problem because then he wont get a sale. But then when I rang him and said I didn't want the car, he told me exactly why. he knew I had been talking to ******. Anyway Brian, thats the story, otherwise believe me I would have one tomorrow. And lets face it no dealer is going to tell you the bad side of them are they. They arn't to crash on the fuel either, but that I would have put up with.

It's very handy having relatives in very high posistions sometimes, they can save you alot of heartache..........
Anyway your call Brian, it will be interesting to read other comments you get.
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 34393

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:28

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:28
Also Brian, did you think about why the dealer was going to give you such a good price on your commodore for a terrecan,,,,,,,,,,,,think about it...........
Your call
Karen

Sorry, don't mean to put you off but I do agree, they are a nice 4wdKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 24775

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:35

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:35
I was so annoyed that the dealer hadn't been honest and he knew who I was and who I was related to, but it didn't seem to worry him

Your kidding right? You expect a car dealer to be "HONEST"?? LMAO!
FollowupID: 24776

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:46

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:46
Truckster, I went on to say that, "Of coarse the dealer wont admit the problem",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and you are right, you can never trust a car dealer to be honest. And they love it even more when they get a female in there.........they think you will buy anything of them.................yeah well some might, but not this little chikky babe...............I think he got quiet a shock when he as good as demanded I sign the contract and I wouldn't do it.................but then "typical male"............LOL
KarenKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
FollowupID: 24782

Follow Up By: diamond(bendigo) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 19:52

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 19:52
salesman:good afternoon can i help you today.
customer:yes please i would like to buy a teracan.
salesman:come in side and we can sign the paper work and ill show you some specials we have on our accesories.
customer:ok lets do it and by the way is there any problems with theese cars.
salesman:of course there is the wiring falls apart when you go off road.

id like to see that lolback by popular
demand lolol
FollowupID: 24851

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:42

Sunday, Oct 19, 2003 at 22:42
Have a look at the Kia Sorento for about the same money. The front end is independant, but by coil over shock, not torsion bar. Makes for a better ride and more available suspension travel. Should be easier to lift properly by changing coils. The reported ride problems are reasonably accurate, but then most people buy a Toyota Landcruiser at $80K+ or so and still have to change the springs/shocks. At $38K + springs/shockers at ~$1200 still not a bad buy. The engine/transmission is the same as the Terracan (old Mitsubishi 3.5 litre from the Pajero), but the Sorento is now also available with a manual gearbox. Towing 750/2300 kg.
AnswerID: 34406

Follow Up By: Rhubarb - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:21

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 11:21
Definitely have a look at the Sorento, totally agree with Gary, they are great value. Will be interesting to see how they age though.

FollowupID: 24795

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:57

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 20:57
yeah i agree with you gaz have a look at the sorrento
the ride problems reported are due to this.......the kia when coming off the line has its tyres pumped to massive amounts of pressure i have seen them as high as 80lbs when coming to the dealership and had to let them down..i have worked closely with kia and when the press got the first one here to test it i think thats what happened.......too much pressure ......if you run the sorrento at 36lbs it will ride great...one thing i found was that the pipe which takes condensation from the aircon is located straight over the catalitic converter therfore dropping cold water on hot pipes ....dont know if this will affect it over time .......i also found the auto to be a little indecisive back changing when the loud pedal is applied hard.....good value most of the comfort bits are there and if you screw the dealer hard enough you should get one for 38000 drive away in the plain jane version.....if its anything like the spotage it should be reasonable offroad
FollowupID: 24875

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:15

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:15
and there you go folks a car dealer telling you the truth about a vehicle.....laughing out loud to myself ......we are not all bad.......bye the way 30000 grand for your vx commodore is huge i am presuming its not just an executive....thats vx series 2 berlina money for the trade in presuming its in good nick with reasonable kms....tell us about the commodore.....model/colour/kms/build date and i will give you a changeover price to aim at......
FollowupID: 24881

Reply By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:48

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:48
BA XR6 TURBO "BLUEPRINT" ONLY WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GO THEM FORDS..............................
YEAH I KNOW IT'S NOT A 4WD, BUT WE HAVE GOT ONE OF THEM TOO !!!!!!!!
GO THEM FORDS

HEY BRIAN, BY A FORD 4WD.................
GO THEM FORDS
KARENKind Regards
Karen & Geoff
(Happy holidaying)
AnswerID: 34416

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:50

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 14:50
Whatever....
FollowupID: 24815

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Vic) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:53

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:53
YEAH, GO FORD!!!!!My Best Mates
Hooroo
Ray
FollowupID: 24832

Reply By: flappan - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 13:22

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 13:22
I friend of mine had a Kia Sorrento with a few mods to it . . . nice little unit . . . with "little" being the problem. He traded it on a Terracan Highlander . . . he's been very happy with it so far. This was a bloke that had a fully kitted out Patrol prior to that.

We had a look at the Terracan but didn't have the specs I wanted for the price, so went elsewhere, not because of the vehicle itself though . . . . well worth looking at anyway.
AnswerID: 34451

Sponsored Links