buy new troopy or from auction

Submitted: Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 00:34
ThreadID: 7940 Views:2080 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I am a newbie. I need a reliable 4x4 for my work next year. Should I purchase a new troopy or a much cheaper one from auctions..

any suggestion..anybody recommend a new 78 series td rv
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:54

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 02:54
Hi Bill
I have just bought a new 78 series TD RV model and it is just bloody fantastic. I had two 75 series in petrol and they were also excellent.
I have found the TD to be as responsive as the petrol models I had before, which was a real surprise to me.
If you can afford it get a new one, don't forget the Air Con.
I have also fitted diff locks front and rear, duel batteries, winch and B/Bar.
Just a great rig. Go for it.
Regards
John
AnswerID: 34413

Follow Up By: bill - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:12

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:12
Yeah

the 78 td is attractive because of the hairdryer attached to the motor and also because of the 150 f gearbox which replaced the previous dodgy dodgy 75 series gearbox. Lotsa money is the trouble....ugghh :-(
FollowupID: 24878

Follow Up By: John - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 22:31

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 22:31
Bill
Sorry to say the only certainty in life is dying so they used to say.
I also reckon that the other certainty is the price of motor vehicles will alway go up.

I do not disagree the 78 is a lot of money, but I can find nothing else on the market that can carry and do what it will do.
Don't forget that the air con is not standard it will cost you about $2500 on top.
If you are GST registered you are able to claim an input tax credit on the vehicle 1/11th of the total price, depending on how you finance/pay for it.
Example $60,000 GST included has a GST component of about $5500.00 so the vehicle only cost you $54500.00.
If you can afford it and it suits your use then buy it.

Regards
John
FollowupID: 24904

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:48

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 07:48
We costantly se vehicles coming thru our auction 2 years old and low klms. Theses vehicles are often half the price of new ones and some have expensive bullbars and winches.These are usually poverty pack cruisers patrols troopies etc Unless you have your own business and can claim substantial tax benefits to justify the initial depreciation I can't see much point in buying new. These vehicles are usually new enough to set up a lease or balloon HP anyway and I believe you can claim 10% back on GST as well if in business.Cairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 34415

Reply By: ross - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:31

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:31
If you got the resources to buy a new one you will have a unique vehicle when it comes time to sell.Car salesman have told me that privately owned PCs are highly sought after in the used market.Most peope who have 50k to spend on a 4x4 get something a little more luxurious . There are plenty of used ones for sale but the majority are ex miners that have often had very hard lives .I know there are some that dont fall into this category such as ex govt but trying to get to them before the caryards do is not easy. If you buy new get a non white as they stand out as being privately owned.
AnswerID: 34426

Reply By: stevesub - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:02

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 09:02
We bought our 2000 78Series Troopy from Orix. Great truck and definetly at the right price, especially as it is a pop-top camper, aircon, cloth seats, bullbar, twin batteries, snorkel, 2 x 90 litre fuel tanks, Engel fridge, gas stove (2 gas bottles in proper gas compartment) sleeping for 3, 50 litre water tank, kitchen sink and pump, storage cupboards, etc, etc. Paid $30,000 with 150,000km but mint condition body/chassis and mechanically.

Now we have done 25,000km in it and runs like clockwork with no problems at all - pity our 2 year old Landrover is not as reliable.
AnswerID: 34431

Reply By: Member -BJ (Sydney) - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:41

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:41
Bill , mate of mine brought one in june & we all went to the gulf he loves it Toyota diff locks front & rear goes real well. If you want 2nd hand member Eric in Melbourne might see your post as he is a vehicle wholesaler & always helps forum users.Regards Bob
Where to next
AnswerID: 34485

Reply By: Member - Ken - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:46

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 17:46
Bill and others.

Approx 3 years ago I brought a 1997(Oct) 75 series diesel troopy from Fowles Auctions in Melbourne.

This was prior to GST and they were about $54,000 new then.

The one I wanted had 30000kms on the clock, TJM bullbar and warn xd9000 winch.

It had an empty rear cargo area, milford barrier and that was about it, Vynl seats and floor coverings and only the standard fuel tank.

It had been owned by the Victorian National Resources and Environment , and had a few scratches inside (which were spayed out later).

Anyway this vehicle suited my needs exactly so I went to auction and ended up paying $28,000 for it.

Two other troopys fully kitted out in the back with seats, seat belts and dual fuel tanks were passed in at $32,000 during trhe same auction.

No one has yet said that I got a dud deal and it runs perfectly. No troubles since I've had it and I give it a hard, non sparing flogging around the interior deserts at least once a year.

If you go the auction road, just make sure you find out who was the previous owner/s as this will give you some idea as to how its been treated.

Regards

Ken Robinson
AnswerID: 34486

Reply By: bill - Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:19

Monday, Oct 20, 2003 at 21:19
Yeah

auctions scare the *(&^ out of me..coz. I have heard so many horror stories.I guess it is because I Live in the Territory where no matter how good the car is looked after or serviced..the troopy get an absolute caning.....that by the time they are ready for trade in at 80,000 k,s up here..there is the potential for some many more problems.....anyway cheers..

a 100's td is absolutely outta the question..they are a soft roader and that's thats....the 3.0 diesel..poop there pants when stressed.....the landdrover..are too ....landroverish.....and that's about it.

There is really nothing that gives you space.comfort. relative speed. safety on and off road that is cheap....the troopy is a pretty good way to go I think....just damn expsensive!!!
AnswerID: 34518

Reply By: harry5 - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 13:13

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 13:13
I would go and have a look at the auctions usually they come with a lot of toys fitted.Find out who owned it and look at the interior for signs of abuse if the body is knocked around or underneath
AnswerID: 34702

Reply By: harry5 - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 13:13

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 13:13
I would go and have a look at the auctions usually they come with a lot of toys fitted.Find out who owned it and look at the interior for signs of abuse if the body is knocked around or underneath
AnswerID: 34703

Reply By: harry5 - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 13:19

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 13:19
I would go and have a look at the auctions usually they come with a lot of toys fitted.Find out who owned it and look at the interior for signs of abuse if the body is knocked around or underneath if they look like bleep they probarly have been treated like bleep . But there are still good buys some auctions like the Gov. one in Sydney will even let you trade in That is they will give you a guaranteed price for your old vehicle which is good for 3 weeks. A lot of vehicles still have manufacturers warranty, go for diesel
AnswerID: 34704

Sponsored Links