Have to make way for the regulars...

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 16:15
ThreadID: 79654 Views:3971 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I don't want to start off on the wrong foot of this topic, I just want to put forward an opinion and get some feedback.
Hubby & I purchased our caravan (25') last year. The sole purpose is, it will be our home for the next 5 - 10 years. We have been fortunate enough over the past 35 years to travel and see quite a huge chunk of this great country. Over recent times most of our trips have been with 4x4 & tent for a period of 2 - 4 months and during the cooler (Down South) months (May - Sep). We really have never had big issues in getting into a camp spot although we have had trouble in places like Alice Springs, Darwin and also Broome. Now I realise that these places are highly sort after stays for everyone during the months we have travelled.
Now we don't intend to hit the road until late February 2011, we are intending to make it to Broome by June or July, but can't really give specific dates as the road will be our home and time is not an issue.
We recently made enquiries to a some of the parks in Broome to be told that the regulars get first dibs on the sites before any bookings can be taken from newies. We do plan to stay from anywhere from 6-8 weeks in Broome. Now I realise that many have been regulars in many Parks around Australia for years & years but what about the people like ourselves that are now at the age where we can choose this life style but because we are not "REGULARS" you may have to wait for a while before a site becomes available.
This from what I am gathering is an increasing problem not only for travellers but also for the Park Manager alike.
Yes we do have a generator & battery packs etc etc so can survive a while without a park & it's facilities.
Please don't get me wrong, we certainly don't want to take away anyones permanent winter retreat site but surely not all sites are for regulars every year.
I would really like to hear from people who are permantly on the road and if you have this problem occur regularly and in particular where abouts it has happened to you?
Even so we are really really looking forward to our new life on the road next year.

Mish

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve and Viv - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:20

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:20
Who did you actually call. My wife runs the visitor centre so I asked her. She isn't sure what you mean. if they have a site they will let you book it. Also if they are on a site then they may offer the regular the same site but we don't know why you could book now. Did you try the Cable Beach caravan park. We doubt Ron would turn you away. That park is one of the best IMP as it is close to the beach and has a great pool and is clean

Steve
AnswerID: 422206

Follow Up By: Curlynan - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:33

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:33
Cable Beach CP was one we spoke to and we have in the past stayed there 3 or 4 times before and only once had to wait to get in at short notice. Both Ron & Margie have always been very good to us, but we were in a tent not a 25' caravan. Remember we were inquiring about June/July Next Year (2011), and were told that all the regulars get first dibs before any bookings can be done and that won't happen until after this season is finished. My main reason for the post is to get feedback from people who are on the road permanetly and if they strike this problem often during the peak season and if so how often & where? We thought that maybe if we did a booking 1 year in advance we could work around dates to suit a confirmed booking.
Thanks Steve & Val.
FollowupID: 692566

Follow Up By: Curlynan - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:51

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:51
Sorry, that should read
Thanks Steve & Viv...... :-)
Will come and say Hi at the visitors centre next year.
Mish
FollowupID: 692568

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:57

Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:57
We stayed at Cable Beach Park in June last year.

My observations.

Most disorganised office in Australia 425 sites and they dont even have a computer booking system.

Had to make 4 phone calls and speak to 4 different people to get a booking confirmed.

Could only stay on site till * date as " Regular" has it booked.

Got charged $1 a page to RECEIVE a fax GOD knows what they would charge to send one.

Toilet we used was never really clean and was complete with green frogs in the bowl.

Traffic in park started as early as 3.30AM with fishermen leaving for the tide.

Busy as with not very big sites

If I ever go back to Broome I will definitely not go back there.

Palm Grove and Tarangau would be the choices.

FollowupID: 692711

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:24

Saturday, Jun 26, 2010 at 17:24
We were on the road continuous for 15months and then traveling for 3 months at a time spreading it all out to six years so the Best advice I can give is to just get out there and do it.
Yes you will find that sometimes you will not be able to be accommodated
but will learn to work around this problem.
Your van at 25ft will also restrict where you can be placed in van parks and in other areas.
You will also find that when on the road the learning just never stops and the ideas that you will come across will boggle the mind. But most of all you will enjoy yourselves as it is a great way to see this island of ours.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 422207

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:34

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 08:34
May I suggest that you stay away from the "holiday" areas during school and public holidays. Their is plenty of accommodation inland and off the usual terrorist routes
AnswerID: 422240

Follow Up By: roberttbruce - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:55

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:55
this is good advice Ray, weekender campers are completely from full-timers...
FollowupID: 692619

Reply By: Curlynan - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 16:58

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 16:58
Thanks to everyone who replied to this topic. All feedback counts.
Mish
AnswerID: 422480

Sponsored Links