snorkel for 1997 2.8 diesel hilux

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 11:04
ThreadID: 79672 Views:4170 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
yeah so as topic says trying to find a snorkel for my hilux (1997 2.8 diesel) but not having to much luck 2nd hand is fine also as long as everything is there ....

im a chippy so install i should be able to handle (hope so ) !!!

Recently did a pig hunting shooting trip way out at cobar wow what an eye opener !!!car drove fine hummed along !! my mate works in the mine there pretty scary goin down there into mines though ,got to drive a tractor (big tonka type hahah ) the drive out there sent me mad 9hrs with stops , but good weekend a way even made the local paper " 28year old visitor gets lost " they left out the drunken visitor whos mates did the harry holt on him on th eway home hahahahaha!!!!!! funny times

so any help here would be great thx guys
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 16:52

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 16:52
Hi there Luxyboy, I fitted one to my old 2.8D lux when I had it. Fairly easy job, the only thing is you need 2 sized hole saws, quite big ones around the 80ml for memory, I was lucky and got the two of them through work so cost me nothing other wise by the time I bought them $100+ it would have been easier to get it done at ARB, only costing me $150 for ARB to fit to prado, cant get the hole saws from work anymore new boss lol, and different fitment anyway. Just make sure you measure up 100% with the template before any drilling (make sure the correct template also) and make sure the snorkel itself doesnt touch the body/guard or it will resonate and drive you nuts, it will be louder when sitting in passengers seat but I reckon sounds good, they will supply a big type washer that sits on the top of the snorkel inlet before you put the ram on it, it stops the droning but if you have after market turbo you cant use it, It will tel you all that in the instructions which I must say were really well described as how to fit, make sure you use the foam insulation parts supplied, one runs along the guard behind the actual snorkel body to stop resonating on the guard. Regards Steve
AnswerID: 422275

Follow Up By: Wherehegon - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 17:02

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 17:02
If you buy second hand these are all the parts to make up the kit, and you will need all the bits
FollowupID: 692644

Reply By: luxyboy - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 17:34

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 17:34
thx 4theinformative reply there isaw that safari mob myselfhowevercouldnt see where they had 4 my old (but a goodie) hilux willhave anotherlook ....

thanks again to you both i will keep looking looks like safari is the mob to go with
AnswerID: 422277

Follow Up By: luxyboy - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 18:03

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 18:03
stumbled across a few good threads and reviews etc has this dispute between safari and airtec being settled looks like safari gets the nod can get for $300.00 off ebay and install myself or get installer to do for extra 100-150 .....

not in any rush not doing any river crossings just yet thought it would bring more performance but apparently this isnt true or minimal at best also ???

my hold onto my hard earned 4 a while see what you gurus think about it
FollowupID: 692651

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 18:30

Sunday, Jun 27, 2010 at 18:30
Luxyboy,

Maybe you should re-access your reasons for a snorkel.

I had mine installed as an insurance policy for water ingestion if I come across the unexpected, but also to have cleaner air for the engine to breathe.
I have no "technical proof" to back my presumption but the average fuel consumption display appears to have improved even more since I have had the Safari snorkel fitted.
This is based purely on city driving in peak hour traffic but I am quite happy anyway.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422285

Sponsored Links