Anyone got a suggestion for this one??

Submitted: Monday, Jun 28, 2010 at 23:09
ThreadID: 79713 Views:2563 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have an LC100 with the over head storage compartments...

The CB I have is one of those with the remote heads. The head on my unit sits in the front over-head storage compartment originally designed for a pair of sunnies or whatever.

It was like this when I bought the car. It's a good idea but the guy who set it up has the remote head held in place with velcro. Over time and in the heat especially, the sticky adhesive behind the velcro goes off and head just falls out of place. Very annoying.

Now...the question is, can anyone give me a way of securing the head into place WITHOUT drilling holes that might be obvious when the hatch is closed.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 07:13

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 07:13
Most of the set ups I have seen have the head (or entire unit) mounted on the side of the overhead console. Mounting the head this way would only require two small holes drilled into the side and they would be covered by the supporting bracket.
You would also then have the small compartment available for.........sunnies:-)

If you wish to keep the head mounted where it is, you can use silicon sealant to stick the support bracket down, in place of the velcro. You will need to secure the bracket with masking tape until the silicon cures, but once done, heat will not affect it and should you need to remove the bracket and a later date, the bracket can be pulled off and the silicon cleaned off.

I have my remote head mounted in this way on the back facia of the centre console.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422426

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:01

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:01
Google 3M and find if they have an outlet in your area.

You could ask these guys

http://perth.yalwa.com.au/ID_102085237/3M-Scotchtint.html

They sell stuff called "twinlock" or "Dual Lock"

It is similar to velcro except the both pieces are the same, they have rows of little hooks and can be attached at right angles as well.

It comes in various grades and one of them is a high temperature grade.

I got mine in Brisbane and had a 3 1/2 in screen hanging from the roof console in my prev Patrol and it never fell off.

The guy told me they also use it for attaching Etoll tags to the windscreen in situations where it gets used in more than one vehicle.

Its expensive in relation to velcro but does work. About $15 a metre

I have had the screen mounted on a holder for 18 months now and it hasnt come loose. Also use it to attach the TPMS on the righthand air outlet for the last 15months.

Before you attach it clean the area thoroughly with meths or Isopropyl alcohol (get it at the chemist) and it will stick like ***** to a blanket.

Hows it going with the big exhaust.

AnswerID: 422434

Follow Up By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:20

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:20
I am with Graham on that. You can buy Dual Lock in Bunnings but look in the area of the Command adhesive fixes, not with Velcro. It is about $9 for four strips. Heaps better than Velcro and is holding the protective screen on the back of my car right now.
FollowupID: 692826

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:38

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 10:38
Hi Graham

Are you home yet?

Thanks for the info, sounds lke a good easy fix. I'll look into it.

New Exhaust doing fine, big difference noticed in the lower revs range.

Regards
Andrew
FollowupID: 692832

Reply By: CraigB - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:28

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:28
Hi Andrew,
I have the same in my LC100.
3 years ago I fixed mine with quality 3M double sided tape.
Hasn't fallen yet.
Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 422438

Follow Up By: CraigB - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:29

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 09:29
ps. make sure the surfaces are very clean before application. Use alcohol wipes etc.
FollowupID: 692817

Sponsored Links