Permits for an around Australia trip

Gday all,

my boyfriend and i head off on a 6 month trip around australia next week and i'm just after some help with permits
We're planning on doing flinders rangers, simpson desert, uluru, alot of the other desert roads, cape york, then across the top end to kakadu and the kimberly. not sure if we're going to do the canning or go along the coast of WA yet. then back through the nullabour and to the vic highlands (with many stops in between obviously!!)

So going by that info, what will be the main permits i need? i know we need the desert parks pass, is there any others?
we may or may not be doing the simpson desert, since we have only the one car we're just going to see how confident we feel when we get there. is it still worth getting the $110 desert parks pass if we dont do the simpson =, or would it be better to by the other passes individually??

also do i need to get them all before hand or can you buy most of them at the location?

sorry if i'm rambelling, i'm so excited and my mind is going 100 miles an hour!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - TonBon (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:40

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:40
Hi Krstylea88, check out this link Permits It should answer all of your questions regarding this. I am leaving next week on a western deserts trip and put the permit apps in back in April, only got the last one approved last week so put them in, in plenty of time.

As far as i am aware even if you only go to 1 of the locations Desert Parks Pass covers you still need to purchase the whole lot, getting it through this site gives you a full pack with a huge ammount of info and maps.

Sounds like an absolutely fantastic trip, plan well and you will have a ball. Good luck.

AnswerID: 422452

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 14:12

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 14:12
Hi Kristy,

Have a look here for where you can buy a Desert Parks Pass. If you are not sure whether you are going to do the Siompson it may be better to wait until you are closer to the start of any Simpson crossing before you purchase.

As Tonbon has said, some passes require a long lead time before you actually get them, so you need to be organised well in advance.

If you are unsure about the Simpson then might I suggest that you should be even more unsure about the Canning, especially if you are travelling solo. The Canning is looong so you need to be very well prepared, and many travellers order their fuel 6 to 8 weeks in advance as its cheaper that way.

Whatever you do I hope you enjoy your trip.


J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422462

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 15:20

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 15:20
You can pay for a daily permit on arrival at Innamincka Trading Post if you decide to go there. Just remember some have use by dates. We bought the desert parks pass from EO as we will be going in and out of permit areas in Sept we are still not sure on our destinations due to road closures. It has good up to date maps and other info. I was surprised in the rego sticker type lable.
AnswerID: 422466

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (11)