Cobourg/Gove Peninsula

Starting to plan next years 3 month trip and am toying with going to one or both of these places, time depending.So, if time was short, which one would most people go to?
Also, we are heading up the Cape first, then across the gulf so not sure on when we would be arriving in the top end.Do you have to specify a time on the permits or are they open for say a month or so?This would be better for us as we dont want to rush to have to be somewhere.
Thanks All
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 19:57
Hi Nick, can't help with your permit query, but I see by your profile photos you've travelled a few places we've been. AND your heading places we want to go, look foarward to any feedback you have re the trip to the Cobourg and Gove Peninsulas as we're go that one (or should i say 2) on the To Do list. Like yours, You can see our caravanning travels on our profile map.
AnswerID: 422504

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 20:00

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 20:00
Been to both Cobourg & Gove. Would go to Cobourg again, a good drive in, great camp spots. and worth a visit to Victoria Settlement. Fishing is outstanding.
AnswerID: 422505

Reply By: Grandma June - Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 22:31

Tuesday, Jun 29, 2010 at 22:31
Check with Northern Land Council Darwin or Katherine. Unless things have changed since '93, we had to indicate our arrival and departure dates for Cobourg; and also give a 2nd choice of dates.

On our Nhulunbuy permit in 2001, we indicated an arrival date, and you have to stick to that date, no earlier or later. Whilst in Nhulunbuy we applied for our exit permit which took 3 days to process.

Unless the processes have changed over the years, and others can correct me on this, I would think that Cobourg would be quicker to get to because you would collect your permit from Northern Land Council in Darwin and travel via Kakadu and Cahills Crossing. From the Crossing it is about 300kms to Port Smith at Cobourg.

To travel to Nhulunbuy, you would at least collect your permit from the office in Katherine. Then travel south to the Central Arnhem Land Road that takes you to Nhulunbuy via Mainoru Station, 672 of gravel road from the Stuart Hway.

I don't know whether these permits can be faxed to you before departure from home these days. Either way, you have to nominate your arrival and departure dates.

Whatever the distance, my choice is always Cobourg. We spent 14 wonderful days. However since we were there, the store and fuel supply has closed. You have to be self sufficient.
AnswerID: 422525

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 07:53

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 07:53
Personally having been to Coburg twice over the years and once to Gove/Nhulunbuy I'd go back to the latter rather than Coburg, lots more to see and do, plenty of choice in camping spots, fuel and supplies readily available etc etc. More interesting drive in too with a couple of river crossings thrown in.
AnswerID: 422549

Reply By: Graham & Ann - Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 14:05

Thursday, Jul 01, 2010 at 14:05
Thanks for the feedback folks.
AnswerID: 422681

Sponsored Links