Empress Spring from GCR

Hi,

I will be travelling along the Great Central Rd. late July & was hoping to detour up the David Carnegie Rd as far as Empress Springs & back for a look.
I would like to hear from anyone who has been on that part of the DCR so I can decide if I can include this in my trip.
I will be travelling alone (single vehicle) but have a few years of off road (outback) experience. Just haven't been there before & would like more info on the track before I go.
I read somewhere that the southern section is better to cater for travellers up to Empress Spring from the GCR, but cant find that info now.

Thanks,

PMK

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:04

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:04
Hi PMK,

The DCR is a excellent road from the GCR, its gets rougher as you head north from Empress. If your vehicle can handle the GCR then this leg wont be a problem.

While your at it why not look up Breaden Bluff on the DCR Trek on this site see

http://www.exploroz.com/TrekNotes/WDeserts/David_Carnegie_Road.aspx

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 422572

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:27

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 12:27
Thanks Phil,

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear, I had a look at the trek notes on the DCR & will catch anything I can on the way to Empress Spring. I tend to stop at everything & have a look anyway.Breaden Bluff sounds interesting too, so it's also on the list now.
Cars more than capable, just that I am travelling alone was my concern if the road was challenging. But all sounds good!

Thanks again for the info,

PMK
FollowupID: 692956

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:06

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:06
PMK
Just like Phil has mentioned above, the David Carnegie road from the GCR is very well maintained as far as Empress Springs parking area. When we were there last year, it was the best maintained road that we travelled on and you could have taken any family 2 wheel drive sedan vehicle there. Once north of there, it is back into wash aways, spinifex and a two wheel track.

Have a great time and inside the cavern, it is very interesting.

Cheers

Stephen

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 422583

Follow Up By: pmk03 - Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:24

Wednesday, Jun 30, 2010 at 14:24
Thanks For the info Stephen,

Great Pic's too............. can't wait to get going now.

PMK
FollowupID: 692964

Sponsored Links