Cape York

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 17:20
ThreadID: 7983 Views:3247 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Happy Campers One and All

We are currently planning a trip to the Cape next May/June (depending on the wet of course).

My question is fairly simple, though possibly done to death. For those who have been there done that, I am trying to compile a listing of spots which should not be missed at any cost so we can start to rough out our route.

We intend spending 3-4 weeks Cairns/Cairns and expect to meander back and forth somewhat. Towing an off road camper trailer so that would likely exclude Mountain Goat tracks though we are happty and looking forward to testing tracks etc.

Any contributions greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.Rosco
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:25

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:25
Buy the ron and viv moons book about cape york... invaluable for me when i went...30 odd bucks..._____________________________________________

Follow Up By: mudgutz - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:28

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:28
yeah its a goody that book did you see the moons the other night at about midnight on ch 10.......1 hr show about the cape......apparently they have crawled over every inch of it...........dont know about towing the camper trailer....some of the terrain i saw looked a little rugged for the camper......eg they had to winch a 75 series out of a creek bed.....and if your winching a 75 your winching most everything else......imagine it with a camper on as well.....i suppose there is softer routes to go on.......i personally dont like towing i dont even like my roof rack if i can get away without it.........but if you want the comfort
FollowupID: 25002

Reply By: Andrew - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:17

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:17
We did the Cape this year and one of the people we went with had a camper. The camper did it pretty easily as long as you take your time. I reckon that the good spots are Morton Telegraph station, Dal Nixons homestead if you would like to meet a real character, OTL and all the spots along the way, Chili Beach (- especially if you have a wind generator!!) and Frenchmans track, Mapoon - leave your camper in Weipa and do a day trip and travel along the beach.

Vrilya point and the wreck was fantastic. Liked camping at Seisa. Lots of things to see and do around the top. Thursday Island was a bit ho hum but Horn Island was great particularly as our guide (?Vanessa) was the girl who wrote the book and she brought all the history ot life. She was a fantastic story teller.

I did not think Weipa was that great but have to go there to get to Mapoon. Punsand Bay was alright but I thought Seisa was better apart from the seafood night. Bathurst Head was not that great. Twin Falls etc was great. Did not get out to see the flotsam and jetsam at Usher Point but have heard that it is great.

There are not many mountain goat tracks though we had to snatch the car and camper a couple of times. I could email you our itinerary if you wish.

Andrew
AnswerID: 34653

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:24

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 08:24
Hey, andrew, did you know Nat Parks are taking over Dal's property, his lease ran out a year ago and have been fighting it in court since.
Some friends talk to him via his HF radio, and he has 6 months to vacate the property with nowhere to go.
Very sad, he's a character and a half, we spent a week there helping him a bit around the property.
FollowupID: 25037

Follow Up By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:03

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:03
Andrew
I too am in the throes of planning a jaunt to the Tip Jul-Sep 2004. I would apppreciate it if you could email me your itinerary to peteandlyn22@bigpond.com

Thanks
Pete
FollowupID: 25040

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:06

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:06
Very sad to hear that Dal is going to have to leave. He could easily upset people but when you are on holiday it should be hard to get upset. We just did what he recommended and we got a long fine. My 12 year old neice thought that he was a good sort (well I said to him that she thought that) and he ended up posing for photos with his arm around her. Memories like that enrich the trip. He had a real twinkle in his eye and he was terrific to us all. The place wouldn't be the same without him there.....
FollowupID: 25085

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:08

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:08
If anyone wants my itinerary the email me at mcdfamily@bigpond.com I am no Cape York expert - have only been once. It is good to get lots of opinions about how to structure a trip.
Andrew
FollowupID: 25086

Reply By: Member - Ross - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 07:31

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 07:31
Thanks again for your comments. We have ordered a copy of the Moon's book and some Hema maps from the ExplorOz shop and they should arrive (hopefully) today. The only maps we have at present are those from RACQ which don't show a lot of detail.

Andrew, your itinerary would be great thanks..... rjnicoll@powerup.com.au

The Moon's book sounds particularly interesting and it's a shame I missed their show the other night.

Ta...

Rosco
AnswerID: 34674

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:19

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:19
Rosco just take your time and you will have a ball .Andrew sums it up very well.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventuresCape York Connections
AnswerID: 34729

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:02

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:02
Thanks Eric ....... and what were those beaches that you said were great to drive along...... LOL I found a few anyway....
Andrew
FollowupID: 25084

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:45

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:45
Andrew I have a feeling I was talking to you at seisia in july . What time of the year were you there. I think it was at the park take away . You were telling me what a ball you had at dell nixons. By the sounds of it you saw a few of those beaches did you go down to janie creek I think thats how its spelt. STH of m-----n.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventures
Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 25092

Follow Up By: Andrew - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:58

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:58
Eric, I could have been speaking to you in Seisa. We stayed in the Seisa campground around 14th - 17th July this year and we ate at the takeaway a couple of times. We had a group with us of 13 kids and 12 adults - most were related to me so they all can yak on quite a bit. Could have been any of us that you were chatting to. Was the guy you were talking to tall, dark, handsome and quite muscular - it he was it wasn't me!!! LOL. We did drive down to Janey Creek and had a great day on the back near there. Water was clear and warm and very shallow with no chance of nasties coming up and biting our kids.

Oh the thought of it all makes chilly Melbourne seem a bit ordinary.....and the 4x4 show this weekend here will make the travel bug bites even more irritating. Oh to have a job like yours - a perpetual holiday it seems. LOL

Andrew
FollowupID: 25105

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:22

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:22
Andrew that was your mob the police bash was also in town .I am a big bloke 6-3 tall and a wafe like 23 stone. In my real life I am a builder and have been involved in the cape trips for about 5 years . My buisness partner in Jelattin west of port douglas and i have been mates for about 25 years now and we both love the place. I am only doing 2 trips to the cape this year an 18 day and a 24 day cape gulf trip. The darling wife misses me to much thats what she says anyway.It is like a holiday thats what I give to the tag alongers but it is hard work for me busey all day and half the night .
All the best
Eric

Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 25113

Reply By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:02

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:02
One more query ... the CREB track. Is it suitable for a trailer, or to put it another way has anyone taken one through.

The maps and the Moon's book turned up yesterday and of course I've not had time to read the book, but on flipping through I noted a comment by the authors that trailers should not be taken, however on the facing page is a photo of two vehicles on the track, one of which is towing a trailer ... all very confusing?????Rosco
AnswerID: 34809

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 19:27

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 19:27
Rosco from what I have heard from the season just gone it would be hard work . If wet almost impossible.
All the best
Eric
4x4 tag along adventures
The photo could be an old one as the track used to graded every couple of years . I have heard the electrity board dosnt use the track anymore so it probably wont be mantained. The last time i did the track we followd the grader and it was a good run.Cape York Connections
FollowupID: 25200

Sponsored Links