Croajingalong NP - Where to Stay

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 17:20
ThreadID: 7984 Views:2221 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi folks,
Am looking at going to Croajingalong over summer for a weeks holiday from Sydney. Our plan is to travel down the coast, then home via Eucumbene, Cooma and Canberra.

The issue is the best caravan park in the area to stay at (the wife doesn't like long stints of camping without running showers and toilets). Can anyone suggest a good park near Mallacoota or Bemm River areas. Would prefer something on the water (near a swimming spot), and am also keen to head up to the Snowy river for a day trip.

Cheers
Andrew OSo much to see, too little time ...
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: muppo - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:01

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:01
Andrew Mallacoota is my heaven on earth. I've been going there since I was 5yrs old and can't get enought of it ,I'm back there in two weeks for 2 weeks holidays.
The local council run Foreshore Park can't be beaten! It's right on the banks of the bottom lake and runs all the way to the surf beach. has plenty of powered sites and unpowered one, toilets,hot showers and the laundrete, bakery,newsagent,tackleshop and the best cafe in town with great coffee are all just across the road. You will love it.
Theres a great 4WD track along the coast to Cann Riverr 120klms too!
AnswerID: 34626

Follow Up By: Geoff - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:09

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 18:09
Here, Here!!
FollowupID: 24969

Follow Up By: GOB member vic - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:10

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 19:10
i also agreeimagine a 03 gu 4.2tdin the picture
as i am having trouble sizing the picture
FollowupID: 24977

Follow Up By: ZEDjay - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 14:39

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 14:39
andrew -- I know it's not the caravan park, but I thought I'd let you know about the lighthouse keepers cabins at Point Hicks in the Croajingalong National Park.

I stayed there for a couple of days - It's **not** cheap but it was a real treat - whales, seals, the wonderful lighthouse in the backyard - fantastic walks and isolated beaches - the lighthouse keeper was a terrific mine of information.
Here are some pics -
http://www.lighthouse.net.au/Lights/VIC/Point%20Hicks/Point%20Hicks.htm

Cheers
zj

FollowupID: 25065

Follow Up By: ZEDjay - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 14:40

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 14:40
andrew -- I know it's not the caravan park, but I thought I'd let you know about the lighthouse keepers cabins at Point Hicks in the Croajingalong National Park.

I stayed there for a couple of days - It's **not** cheap but it was a real treat - whales, seals, the wonderful lighthouse in the backyard - fantastic walks and isolated beaches - the lighthouse keeper was a terrific mine of information.
Here are some pics -
http://www.lighthouse.net.au/Lights/VIC/Point%20Hicks/Point%20Hicks.htm

Cheers
zj

FollowupID: 25066

Reply By: Richard - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:40

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 20:40
Mallacoota Caravan Park is the place. Spent 2 weeks in Feb 02 as the High Country was on fire. I number of people said they had been going there year after year. I believe it gets pretty crowded over Xmas/New Year so you need to book.
AnswerID: 34640

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:24

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 09:24
I was down at Mallacoota 2 weeks ago. The Van park beside the river is beautiful . . . I hear though, come Xmas time . . . she's wall to wall.

Getting into it may be a problem . . . . there are a couple of other van parks as well though, but not on the river.
AnswerID: 34682

Reply By: Member - Andrew O - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:59

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 12:59
Thanks everyone - I'll check out Mallacoota. I was planning a trip up to the Snowy river one day - looks like that will be a long day out, but sounds like the balance of the holiday will be pretty relaxing. Thanks again for all the advice.

Cheers
Andrew
So much to see, too little time ...
Andrew
AnswerID: 34701

Reply By: captnsnooze - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 16:27

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 16:27
Hi Andrew,

I have to disagree about Mallacoota if you are looking for a million people all crammed into very tight spots then its the place to be. If you are looking for somewhere nice and it is outside school holidays then a little further down the coast is Cape Conran Coastal Park. You turn off the highway at Orbosty and head down to where the Snowy River hits the ocean turn left towards Cape Conran not sure of the distance but it is up on the left. A bit further along is the camping area run but the parks service, it is a bit more primitive has toilets and bush showers, which are quite good you have to heat up the water though. It is a great spot over the dunes from the beach and absolute heaven been there 7 times well worth a look and the fact you have to heat your own shwoer water up is made up for by the spot. Warning though is not to go near it in school holidays as it is quite busy.
AnswerID: 34718

Reply By: ays - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:08

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:08
I know this isn't a caravan park but there is a great little camping area just west of Mallacoota at a place called Shipwreck Creek. Only 5 or 6 spots and the road in is a bit rough but that said easily negotiable by 2WD towing a van with a bit of care. Worth a visit or short stay at least
AnswerID: 34938

Sponsored Links