kimberely options

Hi everyone,

Just planning a trip into the Broome around the end of july hoping for 2 weeks to explore the Kimberely once we get there.
As we have never been there before and only have a limited time we would like to know our best options of where to go up there without spending thewhole trip driving?
We travel in a 4wd and like to get offroad but nothing too serious, also we are wondering if its worth dragging our 5 metre boat up with us or will it just get in the way, ie limiting our freedom going offroad?

thanks guys

any info much appreciated,

oldsalty

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 14:33

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 14:33
Pt Smith - 150ks south of Broome is good for fishing. Take some good insect repellent as the mozzies can be a bit fierce at times.
AnswerID: 423258

Follow Up By: goddosglory - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 16:09

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 16:09
like the nike add..just do it....once you get here.. there are enough nomads and locals around to fill you in...crab creek...roebuck bay..sunsets at cable beach..ganthume bay..as good as alice springs...fishing off the jetty...day trips to wylie creek..port leveque....been here for 2 months now..and loving it...waiting for the weather to clear then off to derby,gibb river road...kununurra..bungle bungles...lake argyle...have i whet your appetite
FollowupID: 693660

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 18:28
We won't go back to the Kimberley without a boat now oldsalty, but we have been up in the area many times now.
For just 2 weeks, first trip, I would definitely leave it home. You won't get time to put it into the water and if you did, local knowledge is necessary (as with everywhere).

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 Motorhome
AnswerID: 423271

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 18:32
Sticking to the western half of the GRR, Bells Gorge is a must-see, and not too far off the GRR. Mitchell Plateau, if you're got time. Otherwise, Old Mornington is great, but expect to shell out $, as it's run by the Wildlife Conservancy (a good cause, tho). Particulary good there is Dimond Gorge, but you need a canoe to see it (they hire them). Also, there are some nice gorges at Charnley River (Beverley Springs) station (it's a station stay, with camping facils).
If you're going to the eastern end of the GRR, then the Bungles are a must-see.
cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 423272

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 18:33

Tuesday, Jul 06, 2010 at 18:33
Silly me, forgot Windjana Gorge, out of Derby.
FollowupID: 693690

Reply By: Member - Russell E (VIC) - Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 09:35

Wednesday, Jul 07, 2010 at 09:35
G'day Oldsalty,

Cape Leveque (Kooljaman) on the tip of the Dampier Peninsula is a great spot. You would need to book accommodation or camp sites.

The only issue is that it would probably eat up 3-4 days with travel (approx 200k each way - part dirt & corrugations). Worth looking at the mission settlements of Lombadina & Beagle Bay on route.

Cheers
Russ
AnswerID: 423311

Follow Up By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 17:44

Thursday, Jul 08, 2010 at 17:44
Don't forget about Middle Lagoon which in my opinion is just as good, if not better than Cape Leveque, also once you get to CL, just up the road is One Arm Point, it is a must see with the many oysters and the Ardyaloon Hatchery where you can also get polished shells done professionally.

The Dampier Peninsula has everything

cheers,

Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 693849

Reply By: Member - Driverdon - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:46

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:46
I used to drive tours buses up there and would be careful about the boat if on a trailer as I've several boat trailers literally disintergrate on the roads . . .one was a standard trailer and a couple of young bucks had all their gear loaded in the boat on the trailer incl 2 motor bikes . . . the trailer had to be put back together twice at Drysdale stn . . . the Boat looked like a mad panel beater had attacked it fom inside
AnswerID: 423466

Reply By: oldsalty - Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 14:11

Friday, Jul 09, 2010 at 14:11
hanks everyone,

lots of good info there, think ill leave the boat at home!

oldsalty
AnswerID: 423472

Sponsored Links