oztent upgrade?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:02
ThreadID: 7990 Views:3627 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I got some campmart spam the other day that had oztents $200 bucks off...
so i jumped on www.oztent.com.au and now the old models don't seem to exist anymore and they only do an "oztent rv"
does anyone know if it's just a name change or if they've improved on the original design?

cheers,

KG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:14

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:14
I think the design has changed slightly on the front awning.
AnswerID: 34646

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:29

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:29
Different material, now a ripstop canvas fabric, YKK zips , zips and velcdo all around the edges to fit the side and front awnings. Just bought the RV 3 at the Adelaide 4x4 show.
FollowupID: 25003

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:55

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 21:55
You are correct - it is a new range .. I saw them at the Sydney 4WD show and was quite impressed. I have an Oztent myself and quite liked the improvents. Might need to sell mine so I can upgrade.
Best change was the zipper fittings for the side panels I think. the old side panels were a bit fiddly, although I had cured that with mine using tent spreaders and a bit of velcro.
Cheers
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 34651

Follow Up By: Phil P - Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:07

Tuesday, Oct 21, 2003 at 22:07
Any show specials ?
FollowupID: 25017

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 06:15

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 06:15
My memory is bit vague now, but I think they were offering a modest discount on their stuff. But, if you are buying one and press the point I am sure they will give you something off them at the show - saves packing it up and taking it home.
Jack ...No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message. However a
great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 25030

Follow Up By: Member - Peter [SA] - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:34

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 22:34
They took $100.00 off normal price of all oz tents at the show.
FollowupID: 25117

Reply By: cj - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:24

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 11:24
I was told the Black Wolf Turbo is the new replacement for the OZtent the other day. Limited numbers/models of the old OZtent available at a discount. Had a go at putting up the Black Wolf, very nice. It's like a Southern Cross centre pole tent but with an external frame instead. Great headroom, quick and easy to erect, can fit in a vehicle unlike the OZtent and appears well made. Four different models and a couple of fly variations. I think it will be the way I will go as I want something quick and easy to erect on my own while the wife looks after the little one. Great if you are moving regularly and don't want to put the time and effort into setting up camp although other options will give more internal space. Horses for courses.
AnswerID: 34693

Follow Up By: Phil P - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:31

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 17:31
Hi CJ,

Do you have a url of the Black Wolf tent ?

The only Black Wolf tents I could find were dome tents.

Thanks
Phil P
FollowupID: 25073

Reply By: Phil - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:03

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:03
Re the new Blackwolf turbo tent,
bought one a few weeks ago, the mid size 2.4 x 2.4m model, internal height about 2m, together with the deluxe awning/fly which extends out from the front about another 3m and has side and end panels to make it fully enclosed if you wish. The standard awning comes out about 2m, with no side panels, and has a configuration very similar to the oztent.
Not wishing to restart debates previously held in this forum but I also have a single pole (plus rear support poles) Freedom family tourer, 13 x 10, which is a fantastic heavy duty tent but with no awning, so in hot or wet weather I need/prefer to erect a freestanding fly. Problem with this set up is that whilst perfect for a standing camp for a couple of days the Freedom is relatively heavy about 25 kg and with the fly arrangement when travelling takes a while to set up and repack each day.
Looked at the oztent but the extended pack lenght and need to get on a roof rack turned me off. The turbo is a perfect compromise, light weight, good quality and all the features ( although my first test is a couple of weeks away, and aluminium poles look a little light weight) it literally goes up in a flash and repacks very easily. Only 4 pegs, plus awning poles, for light conditions, plus additional tie down points if required. Extended awning takes a couple of minutes longer but provides good extended shelter if required. Got mine from Cargills in Perth ( this is not an ad I'm just a customer off the street). The tent has 4 poles, connected in a hub in the roof centre. Each pole has 2 "knuckles" so the tent inner opens / erects like an umbrella, and you throw the outer/awning over this frame.
Have been trying the Blackwolf site for about a 6 weeks (blackwolf.com.au) as wanted to get details on the tent prior to purchase but it has been down "Currently being redesigned" Not sure what is so difficult in a "redesign" but expect they will get their act together at some time and hopefully have the turbo tent details listed. It is definitely worth looking at.
Cheers
Phil

AnswerID: 34835

Sponsored Links