CDMA Aerial

Submitted: Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 14:33
ThreadID: 79972 Views:2591 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,
Can anybody let me know if there is any use for the old CDMA aerial and specifically can they be used with Next G phones as an external antenna.
I have had advise from both sides.

Thanks, Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: George_M - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 16:05

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 16:05
I've continued to use my external CDMA antenna, because both CDMA and Next G operate on the same frequency.

Also, the box the antenna came in specified that it was suitable for three types of technology - CDMA, WCDMA (NextG) and GSM.

George_M

Come any closer and I'll rip your throat out!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 423579

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 16:21

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 16:21
Yes, the old CDMA antenna is most suitable for the NextG network.
The newer network uses pretty much the same frequency as the old CDMA network.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 423582

Reply By: Member - Phantom (WA) - Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 22:02

Saturday, Jul 10, 2010 at 22:02
Thanks George & Bill,
It is nice to get consensus and I am glad I held on to my old aerial.
I wonder how many people on wrong advise chucked them out.

Steve
AnswerID: 423608

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 00:33

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 00:33
Me Phantom

The guy who knows everything about nuthin and nuthin about the important things in life. Trusting the people I deal with and wanting to support local business in Bathurst is not the best way to go and it cost me another $180 bucks. Four years laterI have a simple aerial issue with my UHF, not transmitting.

First question from technical peanut was "How long ago was the aerial fitted, it's probably too old now?". Naturally I walked out briskly, now I gotta find someone reliable to do a fix.

Regards
Paul H
Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 694089

Follow Up By: Stu & "Bob" - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 08:43

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 08:43
Paul, you have probably got a broken centre wire in the co-ax cable.Check with a multimeter to see if you still have continuity in the cable.
Usually a simple fix, by re-terminating the plug on the end of the co-ax (radio end)

HTH
FollowupID: 694100

Follow Up By: Lucko - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:18

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 10:18
Paul, as HTH says, probably a broken wire. I had exactly the same problem a while back. Replaced the aerial with a spare, radio still wouldn't transmit! A local techy found that my radio was damaged as well. He maintained that I had done the damage by continually trying to transmit (effectively) without an aerial attached. Hope you haven't suffered the same fate.
Mark
FollowupID: 694109

Follow Up By: Fiona & Paul - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:40

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 12:40
Thanks guys I did send the radio to GME for a checkup, all fine there and I'm awaiting its return so I can have a look at the aerial connections.

It will be a connection problem for sure, I got lazy and paid others for convenience, etc, it should be home tomorrow so I'll get back to you guys on this one. My trouble is I get involved in so much other stuff just to keep the brain ticking that I get slack with the important stuff.

Stu & "Bob" and Lucko you have helped - so I'll get the multimeter out of cobwebs, Fiona is always saying what did you buy this & that for, I just say it's bloke stuff, now I can demonstrate why I bought the multimeter.

Regards
Paul H

Paul H
OZ Downunder

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 694114

Reply By: JohnnyC - Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 22:14

Sunday, Jul 11, 2010 at 22:14
Hi Phantom,
Some years ago the CDMA service vacated its 850 mhz bit of spectrum to make way for the NextG service, your CDMA antenna will be fine for NextG, The antenna is optimised for a particular freguency and does not care if the carrier is carrying CDMA,3G or morse code, if you have any doubts just try it with your 3G phone and check the range, it won't harm the phone.
Same with digital TV antennas, lots of people are making a killing.
AnswerID: 423711

Reply By: Mike DiD - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:10

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 00:10
Some antennas are designed for NextG only, some for GSM only, some for GSM + NextG.

A GSM-only aerial will not work for NextG.
AnswerID: 423721

Sponsored Links