CQ Trip

Hi

My husband and I are going on our first little trip since we have been married. (I travelled around Oz for 4 mths in 05)

Here are our destinations:

Charleville

Blackall

Longreach

Winton

Isisford

Emerald

Springsure

Just wondering if anyones got any tips etc? Places to camp ? either caravan parks or free camping? And also places to see - all the tourist things but also just local secrets? also places to eat etc?

Any help would be great

thanks

SJ
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 09:38

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 09:38
Hi,
That would depend on what you are driving and what you are towing if anything. Kids?

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 423748

Reply By: Voxson - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:15

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 10:15
Funny how everyone is different,,, each one of these town names is a stay clear of for me.........

Anyway because of this reason i can tell you about a great camping spot next to what i think is called The Darr River which is approx 30kms on the Western side of Longreach....On The Landsborough Highway,,, Great spot...
There are campsites peppered all the way on each side of the road along the river bank and it even has bins..
Could camp there for days i rekon...

Dont get me wrong,, The Quantas museum and The Stockmans Hall are great....

Springsure is good because it leads to Canarvon National Park..
AnswerID: 423755

Reply By: Innkeepers - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:17

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:17
Hi SJ,
There is a lot of free camping at Isisford on the waterhole created on the Barcoo river right on the edge of town. Isisford locals are camper friendly and cost is/was $2.00 per night and there is a fresh water tap and toilets available with a dump point for toilet cassettes. The town also has a laundrette and a cafe. Careful about fuel supplies - fuel is avaliable from a house for 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon.

15K's West of Isisford is a lot of nice secluded campsites on the OMA Water Hole. They have an annual fishing comp on the watehole.

Blackall is a nice visit to see "The Black Stump", Jackie Howe's monument and life story and we camped overnight on the grassy banks of the river on the Western edge of town, where you will find a relatively new toilet and dump point too. A Laundrette also in town and a well stocked IGA supermarket. Lots of pretty gardens as Blackall has an unlimited supply of artesian water. Nobody has a hot water system in town as the underground water is already hot enough for a shower. Most however have a cooling tank.

Can agree with the previous post about the camping along side the Darr River just West of Longreach and be sure to put in your Yabbie Pots for a feed.

You can see some pics of this region and others on our web site at www.nomadznow.com and then click on the Channel Country tab.

Hope this helps and have a great adventure.
Cheers
Rick & Julie
AnswerID: 423765

Follow Up By: oztours - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:26

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:26
Hi

Thanks for the feedback so far.

We are driving a Rav 4 and camping in an Oztent RV3.

Those are just the major towns we are staying in.

We are looking for any camping off the beaten track in between these towns.

I used to work on a few properties out that way and we are spending some time camping on the stations themselves.

Any reccommendations for free or cheap camping around these areas?

Thanks

SJ

Ps... no kids!!! just the two of us!
FollowupID: 694210

Reply By: deserter - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:15

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:15
Check Bedford Weir when you get down past Emerald.
AnswerID: 423777

Reply By: oztours - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:50

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:50
Revised trip details with Km's and area overnight.

1. Charleville (620kms)
2. Blackall (304km)
3. A property out of Blackall (107km)
4. Isisford (approx 300km)
5. Longreach (158km)
6. Emerald (417km)
7. Carnarvon George (154km)
8. Home (730km)

Any advice tips, places to see along the way, places to stay would be greatly appreciated.
AnswerID: 423779

Follow Up By: Member - Tour Boy ( Bundy QLD) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 13:09

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 13:09
Emerald, Overpriced rat hole keep driving although you can free camp under the rail bridge just observe the council signs or you will get fined. It is noisy though as next to the hwy.

About 5km west of Springsure is the road up on top of Mt Zamia. there are lookouts where you can see for 100+km There are wood fired BBQ's and a shelter shed at Fred's gorge. You can get up there ok in the dry if wet forget it. Other than that for Springsure keep driving...

Between Springsure and Carnarvon you can take the scenic route along Rewan Rd (on the Carnarvon side of Rolleston). It actually becomes the Carnarvon Rd and is much nicer than the blacktop..unless there has been a heap of rain but then you probably wouldn't get across Carnarvon Ck anyway.

Cheers
Dave
Cheers,
Dave
2010 Isuzu FTS800 Expedition camper
2015 Fortuner
Had 72 cruisers in my time

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 694223

Reply By: oztours - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:51

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:51
Am now thinking of extending trip further west!!

Does any one have an opinions on

Windorah

Quilpie

Bedourie

Birdsville

AnswerID: 423797

Follow Up By: Member -Outback Mac C (VIC) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 23:10

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 23:10
Just came through that way a few weeks ago. Lovely free camp on the the banks of Coopers Creek just before Windorah. We stayed in the C'van park at Quilpie which was somewhat better than the park at Birdsville. It is all must see country!!
Cheers from Kununurra Mac
FollowupID: 694291

Reply By: wendys - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:10

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:10
Evening Star Caravan Park, about 9km out of Charleville, on Adavale road, is one I recommend.
It would be a great year to travel out west to Birdsville, given the water that has been around. Country should look great. We have stayed in caravan parks in Quilpie and Windorah - quite adequate.
AnswerID: 423814

Reply By: oztours - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:12

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:12
how are the roads out that way? Past windorah?
AnswerID: 423815

Reply By: Member - Amy G (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 14:10
Just replied to your other thread, didn't realise you had two going... it probably won't hurt to request that a moderator merge them for you!
AnswerID: 423896

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 22:10

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 22:10
You must like driving, not permitting any time to really stop and see anything.
Longreach should be a 2 day stop, Carnarvon Gorge 3 days to do it any justice.

West of Charleville is for another trip and if you do, make sure you stay at the Diamantina Lakes NP for a day or 2.

Emerald is OK, but I would push on and try to get an extra day at Carnarvon (Takarakka CP).

Last time I was that way I noticed the weir about 15km south of Barcaldine on the Isisford road (Alice River from memory) was well utilised for free camping.

If you like NP, there are at least 2 other sections of Carnarvon NP, the Mt Moffat section and Salvador Rosa.
AnswerID: 424552

Follow Up By: oztours - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:03

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:03
New Trip Planning

Toowoomba to Charlie - one night

Charlie to Windorah - one night

Windorah to Birdsville - three nights

Birdsville to Boulia - one night

Boulia to Winton - one night

Winton to Longreach - two nights

Longreach to Blackall - 2 nights

Longreach to property 100k from Blackall - 3 nights