Beware Nanga Bay Caravan Park (WA)

Submitted: Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 13:45
ThreadID: 80022 Views:24348 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,

We are just back from a week up mid north of WA and stayed at the Nanga Bay Caravan Park, on the way to Denham and Monkey Mia. Here is the link to the place Nanga Bay Resort

I should have asked myself why they were the only Caravan Park with vacancies during the WA school holidays, but didn't think about it at the time.

I should just quantify that all of the other facilities about the place were good, but the toilets and showers were an absolute disgrace. As I said, we stayed for 7 nights and the toilets and showers, both mens and womens, were not cleaned once in that 7 days and by the look of them, they hadn't been cleaned in a few weeks prior to that. We tried approaching the caretaker/managers, who up until then had been reasonably pleasant, but they just didn't care. In fact, one guest who complained about the lack of toilet paper was told that if he didn't like it, he could 'F' off!

2 of the 4 male toilets were blocked at the end of our stay because there was no toilet paper and people had started using paper towel. You can't imagine the smell of the place and the ladies were saying it was the nearly the same in their facility.

So, unless you have no other alternative, I would say stay away from the place because the staff do not care about anything that takes them away from sitting in the sun smoking and drinking coffee.

I hope I haven't broken any forum rule here but if I have, please let me know where I can post this on the site as people need to be aware that this is a place to avoid. The group in our part of the camp were all of the same opinion as us and my next call will be to the health department. It is no wonder that the tourist booking place in Denham no longer sends accommodation enquiries towards Nanga, and haven't for a while now.

It would be okay for a night on the way to somewhere else, but thats about it.

John & Clare
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Fab72 - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:32

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 14:32
John and Clare,
For what it's worth I think your feedback was factual and welcome, especially for anyone planning on heading out that way.

I'd be surprised and somewhat disappointed if the Mod Squad took a dislike to your comments.
AnswerID: 423795

Follow Up By: Me me - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 16:05

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 16:05
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Moderation Complaints Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
FollowupID: 694242

Reply By: Member - Cozzie Toodyay (WA) - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:16

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:16
John & Clare,

Thanks for the heads up thinking of heading that way in a couple of weeks
AnswerID: 423800

Reply By: Motherhen - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:22

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 15:22
Shame it has gone downhill. We stayed there overnight many years ago and it was quite acceptable then. Lovely location by a nice white beach.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 423802

Reply By: hazo - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:04

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:04
Hi John & Clare

The place used to be a working station when we used to go there many years ago, and albeit very basic accomodation (cabins) we found it ok.
The caravan park was a bit sloping too from memory, and again very basic.

Then the new fishing rules came in making the fishing very restrictive so we stopped going there.

I stand corrected, but I am sure I read somewhere that CALM (wa land management) had taken over the leases and general day to day running of the place some years ago.

When they get in on the act, it can, and usually does, only go one way, down hill !
AnswerID: 423813

Reply By: Curlynan - Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:13

Monday, Jul 12, 2010 at 17:13
Just wondering if this sort of thing could be reported to the local council or maybe the State Government Health & Safety regulartories (if they exist at all). Sounds to me like it could place patrons in a Health risk situation.
Great that you have posted this on the forum, as word of mouth always works.
There is no, NO, no, excuse for toilet blocks to be dirty and not maintained or serviced no matter how old they may be.
Thanks for the info and we will not be staying there during our travels that for sure.
AnswerID: 423816

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:39

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:39
"There is no, NO, no, excuse for toilet blocks to be dirty and not maintained or serviced no matter how old they may be. " - pity someone didn't tell the managers of El-Questro that...
FollowupID: 694497

Reply By: Jimboy301049 - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 22:49

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 22:49
My wife and I have just spent 4 nights at the Nanga Bay Resort leaving on 13/07/2010 and totally agree with Normthe1,it was our bad luck that we missed out on a booking in Denham,so chose the next nearest caravan park the one at Nanga Bay,what a mistake,we could not go anywhere else as they were all booked out.The toilets and showers were an absolute disgrace and the stench coming from them was overpowering,we expected some level of cleanliness for the $30 per night fee but not even the most basic level of hygiene was carried out by the people running the place and as previously stated all they did was sit in front of the building and smoke and drink.The most worrying part is that they also served meals in a restaurant,what were the kitchens like,what were their levels of personal hygiene like,there is also a motel there not once did we see anybody clean and change linen.The rubbish bins were not emptied once during our stay the crows and seagulls were having a feast on the bins with no lids and scattering refuse all over the place.A fellow camper on the next site told me that his children had been playing in the sand dunes and had brought back 3 pieces of what looked like an asbestos looking substance and when he checked where the children had been playing the substance was scattered about everywhere in the dunes.This place has to be avoided at all costs if you want to remain healthy,there is only bore water available and they tell you to drink the water from the rainwater tank but how safe is that to drink.I will also contact the Health authorities and the Shark Bay Shire
AnswerID: 423970

Reply By: Bern - Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:51

Wednesday, Jul 14, 2010 at 08:51
In 2008 we decided not to stay at this fairly deserted place after inspecting the amenities blocks. They were not smelly (few guests) but looked dusty and neglected.
AnswerID: 423989

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:21

Thursday, Jul 15, 2010 at 01:21
John & Clare

I stayed there in 2005 and really enjoyed the place. The facilities were good and the staff very friendly.

It is a pity that it has apparantly gone downhill.

Word spreads fast amongs travellers and they will lose a lot of business unless they improve.

Tjilpi
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424081

Reply By: landseka - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 14:30

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 14:30
Our neighbours have just got home from a week at Nanga Resort.

I mentioned this thread to them prior to their leaving and asked for their thoughts on the place.

Well, they totally agree to the comments on dirty toilets, they were not cleaned at all whilst they were there.

Apparently, according to the caretaker, an asian lady has bought the resort for her own personal holiday home and does not really care if anyone stays there or not. So like it or lump it.

The neighbours were charged $40 per night for a powered tent site for 2 adults & 4 kids.

Cheers Neil
AnswerID: 424745

Sponsored Links