Wellington (NSW) Caves C/P & Camping Thumbs Up.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 14:42
ThreadID: 80051 Views:2862 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all. We just had a week at our bush block in the Pilliga with kids and grandkids, and decided to take a different way home to the Hunter Valley, from the usual Binnaway, Coolah Merriwa etc.

SWMBO suggested via Gilgandra, Dubbo and Wellington, where we could visit the caves. Have driven past many times, but never called in.

Anyway, a recent post on parks around Dubbo got my interest, so Wellington Caves C/P it is, after a stop over at Gilgandra and a visit to the Coo-ee Heritage centre yesterday (Do yourself a favour, if travelling the Newell H'way, call in there).

This is a beauty. Right on the caves with visitors centre, golf course, kiosk etc.
I have heard EO members mention it many times, but never stopped over, and what a gem it is. Very spacious with one van per tap/power outlet, and huge camping areas, and PET FRIENDLY.

Strewth, I can see an early happy hour coming up tonight, with entertainment from the abundant bird life here, including lots of very amused kookaburra's.

Cheers all.

Fred.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tricky Dicky (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 16:13

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 16:13
Hi Fred

we stayed at the park years ago on our way to Duddo zoo when that first opened ( can't remember how long it was) it was a very friendly park then, we would walk the golf course early morning picking the mushrooms which were the large type, very tasty. The kangaroos and kookaburras were very friendly then they would be around your camp site early morning, after reading your post we have decided its time to revisited that area soon.

Dick
AnswerID: 423905

Follow Up By: Fred G NSW - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 16:41

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 16:41
And you won't be disapointed Dick. We are staying 2 nights...doing the cave tour tomorrow. Park is $25 per night powered site 2 pax. And so peacefull.....
I'll keep an eye out for mushy's on my walk in the morning :-)

Fred.

FollowupID: 694354

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 23:21

Tuesday, Jul 13, 2010 at 23:21
I agree Fred, a very pleasant park. Pet and family friendly; pool and playground. Small display of birds in an aviary. Far enough from main road that only the noisiest of trucks are audible. Very large sites - although most slope. Nice walk through golf course to River. Older amenities were kept very clean. No disability bathroom, but disability toilet at day area. Two cabins are wheelchair accessible. We intended to stay one night to see the caves, but stayed a second night because it was a pleasant place to stay before heading into Dubbo.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 423975

Sponsored Links