Travelling 4by security

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 20:46
ThreadID: 8012 Views:1351 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Folks, we had an insurance assessor here this morning to check out a mistake I made backing out of the garage with a horizontal hinged door open. No damage to vehicle or box I may add!! Tool box by Metal Form Industries of Warrigul so strong. Just nearly wiped the column of the garage and all above.

The interesting question was raised though when he saw our rig and he told me of a Toyota Landcruiser all set up for tripping that was parked in Sydney overnight a while ago. The owner went out next morning to find it missing. Although it is no small thing to have a vehicle missing and it happens all the time. Apparently there is a market for such gear - you already know with stories of parts missing and the like.

My question to you knowledgable and thoughtful folks is to what ends you go to ensure the security of vehicles, rather than just parts themselves? Yes, secured my wheel spares and all that. Are alarms or other immobilisers common? How can you ensure your valuable rigs are there in the morning? I have seen the discussion on fitting of them and what types in the archives.

With this question I have anticipated that some probably leave keys in and all sorts, so the question is not really for you. Home can be a bit like that.

Cheers
John

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:34

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:34
Although I drive a very old 4by I have fitted an alarm system to it which detects movement in the vehicle and if someone opens a door or smashes a window or even shakes the bullbar(like knocking the winch off). I live in a small country town but do not activate the alarm while the vehicle is on the premises 'cause intruders will be met by a black dog with long sharp teeth. I do however activate the alarm when leaving the vehicle when in other towns on my travels. If I leave home for an extended period and leave the 4by at home I remove the fridge and disable the battery system. My truck is not insured as it is too old to bother with and I take a chance that I will not have an accident.
Cheers,
Willie

Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 34768

Reply By: Member- Rox - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:57

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 21:57
In WA immobelisers are Law when you transfer a veichel.

Hope they work!!!Have 4WD will Explore
AnswerID: 34778

Reply By: enzo- Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 23:18

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 23:18
Hi
My runner came with an OE alarm and immobilser installed but what I actually trust is a gear lock I had fitted. It's a plate thate bolts onto the side of the gearbox and allows you to lock your transfer leaver in neutral with a big. solid bespoke padlock.

I've used these in Zimbabwe and the UK and have never had my 4x4 stolen yet.

Stay well

enzo
bundubasher
AnswerID: 34794

Follow Up By: mik*2 - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 00:04

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 00:04
Enzo,
So whats the story with locking it then, is there a latch that comes through the floor next to the transfer case or something???

cheers
mike
FollowupID: 25128

Follow Up By: flappan - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:25

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 12:25
The only prob with these type of locks . . . doesn't help much if they knock off everything around it . . .

Lights, bullbar, winch, CD player, GPS, Fridge etc etc etc.
FollowupID: 25148

Reply By: Mickl - Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 23:55

Wednesday, Oct 22, 2003 at 23:55
My rig has the alarm/immobiliser hooked to the remote central locking so the alarm is always on when I lock the car. I'm pretty choosey about where I park (no dark alleys!!) and at home I put it in the shed or behind a locked gate at night. This is mainly due to the fact that the Canopy would be easy to break into and I'd like to hang on to my tools of trade!! I've only had this rig three months and the canopy has already been forced open once(luckly nothing taken, must have been disturbed)

This got me thinking... when I was a kid (20yrs ago :( ) and we were out in the sticks, we'd often leave our camp unattended with everything just left out, and doors to the car wide open etc never had a problem to my memory!.... these days I put everything away and lock the truck up. Also.. if dad pulled off the black top for a coffee break heaps of people (including semi's) would stop to see if anything was wrong, or just for a yak and share a cuppa. These days if I stop on the side of a major highway and somebody else stops.. first thing I think is " Great.. Here we go.. some nut case lookin for trouble"... Have things changed that much... or is it just me?

AnswerID: 34798

Follow Up By: Willem - Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:35

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 22:35
"Great.. Here we go.. some nut case lookin for trouble"... Have things changed that much... or is it just me?"

No, its just you....I never entertain that worry and have never had a problem in 35 years of driving around this country and stopping on the side of the road. I often slow down and offer help if needed. Have had some interesting experiences though that could have gone the wrong way. The problems could be out there but I would not worry about them.

Cheers,Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 25225

Follow Up By: Mickl - Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:03

Friday, Oct 24, 2003 at 17:03
Willem,
I guess you are right, it must be me, I must admit I've never had a problem while travelling. Maybe 10 years of living in the city with road rage, various near misses with "hoons" and breakins to my vehicles has made me weary of other drivers . Obviously I need to dedicate more time to getting away form the city! and out amongst fellow travellers!
FollowupID: 25286

Reply By: enzo- Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 00:40

Thursday, Oct 23, 2003 at 00:40
Mike

Basicaly it is a piece of 3mm flat plate (30-35cm long) that bolts onto the vehicle body using "break off" bolts. The plate goes as high as the top of the transfer leaver. Near the top of the plate are two large holes so you can use the special padlock that comes with it or, if you lose that, a padlock with a long (10cm) hasp.

The most well known brand is the "Mul-T-Lok gearshift locking system" so do a local web search and dee what comes up.

Rgds
enzo
AnswerID: 34803

Sponsored Links