Q For the Nt/Qldrs - Options for trip from Normanton to Alice 2011

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 20:25
ThreadID: 80156 Views:2411 Replies:1 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, we're looking for good options to get to Alice from Normanton. Am thinking of dropping down to Camoweal, then using the Sandover to Alice.

We'll be in single vehicles and looking for reasonably fast roads - say 60-80kph overall.

Is there a best option to Camo, and is the Sandover a goodish road or a track please?

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 20:49

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 20:49
Hullo John, is a West Aussie allowed to answer.

We recently did that trip while you were languishing at the Gathering.

We went from Normanton (after visting Karumba) SW to Leichhardt Falls.

Image Could Not Be Found

The road was very good. We visited Burke & Wills Camp 119 on the way. We refueled at Burketown. Very nice park right in the middle of town to have lunch or a cuppa.

Then we went via Gregory Downs to Camooweal. Good road, unsealed but good. Remember we were towing a 3.5 tonne van.

Image Could Not Be Found

We then went a different way to what you are thinking. We went to Barkly Homestead and all points north and west so I can't comment on the Sandover.

If you are running out of time, Barkly to Daly Waters and straight down the Stuart would be quick.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 424440

Follow Up By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 21:13

Sunday, Jul 18, 2010 at 21:13
Thanks Stephen. That's useful.

We didn't languish.

We got to Wiluna the day after the wind-up and proceeded to CSR well 23 via the Gunbarrell, Eagle, and eastern Talawana, then down to well 5 and out west to the GN Hwy via the Carnarvon Range. Fantastic trip but don't take the van......

Cheers.
FollowupID: 694876

Sponsored Links