In Search of Chardonay - A Warning to Travellers.

Submitted: Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 14:19
ThreadID: 80168 Views:6476 Replies:24 FollowUps:35
This Thread has been Archived
If you tried to tell me we would have to drive 1/2 way round the Big Block to get a cask of Chardonay 4 weeks ago I would have thought you had been drinking to much of it yourself, but we are just in and this is how it happened.

The 4800 GU Patrol had been meticously prepared for our 12000km 4 week drive from Melbounre to Perth, Wiluna E.O. gathering, up the Canning,
round to Kununuarra, all the way up to Katherine, down to Alice and home via deserts to Melbourne and it simply purred and didn't suffer even a flat tyre.

But our Chardonay supply had not been given much thought.
The car was under weight so I tossed in 2 4lt wine casks in Melbourne, it was a 3 cask trip and I thought, no issue, we will chuck in another in Perth.

Someone told me you can't buy it in Perth but I was only half listening - no issue I'll get some in Wiluna or at the E.O. camp at Gunbarrel travellers rest.
Thats strange - they didn't have it there - who cares - will pick some up at Well 33 or Billiuna at top of Canning.

Whoops no chance - Well 33 community was more derilect than I had imagined, thanks to bad weather and a solar only installation you could not even get a warm water shower their.

Ok - better start rationing - only 1 glass of wine a day - pity the nights weren't warmer.

We had teamed up with Exploroz people , Howard ACT Russ NZ & Rob C for the Canning trip (good job by the way guys) and by now they had told us the facts of life about getting wine casks over this way but I was still only 1/2 listening.

Pull up at Bililuna, not expecting much, but to late - after driving 9 days and 1 hour up the Canning we arrived on saturday 1 hour after the shops closed for 2 days due to nearly 100km of some of the worst continous mud ruts and slush
I can remember.

O well, Alice is only a 1100km down the Tanami after Halls creek - but no the Tanami road was closed !
We would have to Detour via Katherine to get to Alice, roughly 2000km.

Down to our last cask now, but Russ brought us and everyone a celebration bottle of wine at Halls Creek and we survived the night.

We left a great group and said our goodbye's.
Next day would be a run from Halls to Katherine via Kununarra.
Got to Kununarra mid-morning and got 2 cappincino's and cake at Kimberly caffe and still in shock from the $27 tourist trap price tag we forgot to
look for Wine Casks.

Its a few km from Kunna to Katherine but we pulled in after dark at 7pm, a bit stuffed and most shops seemed closed and the car had to have a drink before us and so we didn't have time for a proper check for casks.

Ok, things are getting serious now, so we had to break out our emergency Baccardi from the first aid kit.

Katherine to Alice next - and with sightseeing about 1300km but at least you could sit on 130kmh all the way.

Its dusk as we pull into Alice , but there it was, a 2lt chadonay cask at $19.95

Ridiculous price, should be $15 bucks max - forget it, will hunt around and get some to-morrow morning instead.
Bad decision - as next morning the guy said, in this town we can't sell alcohol till 2pm.

Couldn't believe it as we sat in MacDonalds using the free internet waiting for 2pm. But then their "free" Internet times out after only 20min, before even the coffee goes cold.
By now we were getting seriously concerned about this town - espically as they tried to get 50c off us for using the loo's in the shopping centre.

Ok so we are waiting at the barred and locked gate to the IGA bottle shop talking to the guys setting up the cash register as they prepared to open the shop at 2pm.
Finally its 2pm and in we go josling with the crowd - hunt around and couldn't find any wine casks.
Whats going on I ask - OH! You want cask Wine - sorry thats behind those bars over there and we can't sell it to 6pm !

Completely floored by now we said thats enough, lets get out of this town - Marla is just under 500km away and its only 2:30pm so off we go.

6:42pm , wander into Marla. Have you any wine casks !Well normally we do but the trucks broken down and we didn't get our delivery, but I can sell you a glass from our 1 remaining bar use cask.

Well, what a deal , instead of $6 for a 1/2 full glass (at Halls creek) this guy sells us full glasses at the beer price of $3.10 then they supplied a beatifull massive salad plate for us Vegetarians at only $11.80 . I pull out $24 and he says , no $11.80 for 2 plates not one.
This places service and value is from last century so don't bypass it on your way around the block guys.

Ok - off we go again - surely Coober Pedy will belong to the normal world and its only a coffee stop down the highway.

Coober pedy at 9:30AM , err sorry - we are still a little strange here but the shop does open at 11am (actual words).

Descision - stay or go ! - got to get to Copley and that "never goes out" campfire !
There is 450km km of just re-opened wet dirt ahead of us !
So we leave without the cask , knowing that we could pick up something at William Creek if need be.

Pull up at William creek, forgot they have locked toilets so on principal we leave - driving past 8 or 9 planes and crew that seemed to be looking for customers for lake Eyre flights.

4pm at the Copley Hotel - have you any cask Wine - or course , were do you think you are , try this lovely Yalumba at $14.95.

Just on 10,000 km after loading the chardonay in Melbounre , our supplies had been renewed and life could go on as we sat around the huge fire of railway sleepers with full glasses in hand !

Moral of the story - more than just the car needs preperation for long trips.

P.S. Info above is what we gained whilst on the track and hasn't been checked - please correct any errors so that this post can be more useful to all.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 14:26

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 14:26
Hi,

I CAN SO relate to this story!!!! We worked in Kuna for 6mths................... the kids really missed McDonalds!!! (Mum and Dad didn't!!) Yep Cazza's alcohol $$ limit went through the roof. And one day we turned up at the bottle O to be turned away - all they would sell us was light beer as there was a funeral on that weekend............................. I could not believe it.

Karratha was the next place we could buy cask wine and Broome was a hit with the kids - as they had Mcdonalds!!!

Cheers
AnswerID: 424487

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:32

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:32
It was all a bit of a surprize to us to Matt.

I think from your post you are implying that you can buy casks in W.A. - I still haven't got a definative answer on that question - do you know for sure either way , I am still trying to find out.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694947

Follow Up By: wendys - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:24

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:24
Couple of years ago we were in Kununurra when there was a football match scheduled between two teams of "locals". The police closed all the alcohol outlets Friday to Sunday, inclusive - not even light beer.
FollowupID: 695095

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 15:04

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 15:04
Geez Robin

Going back a bit we used to get a 20ltr Plastic Water Container filled up with our favourite drop of Red from the Wineries before heading off on an expedition, all it takes is getting priorities right lol lol.

Cheers
AnswerID: 424489

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:34

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:34
GeeZ Daza , I coudn't afford 20lt of the stuff , you must have got it an Marla's last century prices.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694948

Reply By: luckymum - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 15:09

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 15:09
WOW what an ordeal just to get some cask wine!!

We leave thursday for our trip around oz and like most other aussies we love our wine! Im really glad I read your story....

AnswerID: 424490

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:39

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:39
Hi Luckymum

And that was just for any wine - let alone one's preffered choice.

To be fair if we had of wanted bottles it would have been easier and on reflection I perhaps should have got some bottles and back filled the empty cask bladder - we always carry a couple for emergency water/fuel etc.

Casks travel so much better and while its hard to get good cask wines , once opened they keep there quality better than re-sealed bottles.

When in Alice , as soon as I said casks , the shop assitant immediatly said ," Your travelling aren't you , I understand"
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694951

Follow Up By: Joe n Mel - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:09

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:09
You do know why they ask if you are a "tourist" or "travelling" ?????
By the STUPID laws they have to ask... as if you are local or staying you then get interogated, your drivers licence is sometimes scanned, your name is recorded and you MUST tell them where you are going to drink it ..... you try to buy wine or spirits at say Burketown QLD, if you are driving they even take your rego number ......
My """learned the hard way""" advice is forget about the price, where ever you can buy it buy up as big as you can as it may be 2000klms before you can buy again, a MUST is to fit long range tanks, one for fuel (50L max) and one for wine, say about 150L, you can buy fuel anyware and if you do run out of petrol, who cares, you will be sooooo happy you have, if ROBIN passes by he will trade 50L fuel for a few L wine anytime :-)
FollowupID: 694983

Reply By: alarna - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:25

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:25
Although hubby and I arn't drinkers, thanks for the insight to other places and what may or may not be available....as long as we think there is nothing there then something will be a surprise :)

what a way to go for a nice drop (or un nice if you had to)
AnswerID: 424493

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:43

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:43
Despite the posts flavor we don't drink much either alarna but a glass goes well with tea and it certainly illustrated to me that we take so many things for granted in our little surburban world.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694953

Reply By: Ranger75 - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:26

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:26
Robin,
Trust your recovery is going well and you'll soon be out and about.

Seems to me you might need another modification to the truck.
Now you could convert the cooling system to run on cask contents, or maybe fill the tyres [better traction there], but me, I'd be lookin at one o' them longranger tanks, and hookin up the compressor to it.
Chardy on tap at maybe 5psi delivery rate.

Haven't tried it meeself but it might just get you round the block if you got one o' them 180 litre jobbies, if ya know what I mean.

Cheers

AnswerID: 424494

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:41

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 16:41
Recovery is slow Ranger , I have been told you have to ease into it , and as we know , someone has to do it.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694952

Reply By: Fred G NSW - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 17:42

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 17:42
Robin, that's the most entertaining and informative thread I've read here for weeks :-)))))
Now all ya gotta do is turn it into a trek note so as we can all find/avoid the places that do/don't cater for those of us who enjoy a drop of wine to enhance our fine bush dining LOL LOL.
Cheers mate, and enjoy your recovery from your brush with that unimagineable and awful experience. :-)))))

Fred.
AnswerID: 424503

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:00

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:00
Hi Fred

Good to hear from you and some others after a month off the site - surely it can't have been that dull around here.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694966

Reply By: Hairy (NT) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:42

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:42
Hahahahahaha........Try living here! (Alice)

Look on the bright side.....it stops the Aboriginal people from wiping themselves out every day. (apparently)

Cheers
AnswerID: 424512

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:59

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:59
Hi Hairy

Something tells me though that you would have an effective work around !

Hey I should say we had some fun times there , we got to drive through the river (think its Todd) just before it was closed at the gap - was only 500mm deep , but we went thru twice to dump some mud.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694965

Reply By: Member - Kevin B1 (WA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:56

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 18:56
Have just been through the same exercise, it's no joke, in fact it boarders on the ridiculous. I know they have to make an effort to eliminate the street drinking in these places but at the total inconvenience to majority of the public, especially the travelling public. Personally I find it offensive.
AnswerID: 424516

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:44

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:44
Certainly an inconvience and I can assure them that it made us move on to another place without spending money Kevin - in fact in Alice we had option of staying longer , but shot through instead - there has to be a simple work around for small quantites for this and I will sure be letting Alice know of the unfriendly tourist town image this portrayed !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695029

Reply By: Plasnart - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:24

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:24
So you didn't buy wine in Alice because it was $5 more than you thought it should be? What difference does $5 make considering the total expense of a trip like that? And you drove off from William Creek "on principle" because their toilets were locked? Why didn't you just make a token $5 purchase of some softies and ask for the key to the toilets? I wouldn't expect to use facilities in places like that for free. Fair go mate.

It's obviously going to be dearer to buy supplies in remote areas and I absolutely don't mind dropping money in places like that. They've got to make a living and don't have the benefit of high turnover like businesses do back home.

Perfect example: Rabbit Flat Roadhouse. Soon to be extinct (if not already?) because most people probably supply up in larger areas and drive right though without spending a bit on the way. I justify it to myself as making a small donation to help them keep trading. If everyone was happy to dig into their pockets in remote areas we'd keep these unique facilities.

I don't mean to be having a crack at you Robin, I just think we shouldn't get in a huff when things are dearer than we expect out there. Sorry if I've mis-interpreted your reactions but that's the way I read your post.
AnswerID: 424522

Follow Up By: Member - Vaughn (QLD) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:37

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:37
Plasnart,
I agree - am happy to spend the extra $5 for a cask to ensure the business is viable for the next trip.
Same with fuel.
Cheers
If you don't know where you'e going any road will get you there!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 694974

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:38

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:38
Hi Plasnart

I don't think we should encourage people to have locked or pay public facilities , there may need to be some special community based needs but
its not on as a general rule for us.

Usually the first stop in a town for us is off to them then off to buy a cappicino etc.

It is these things that make a town a friendly place.

Alice springs is a big town with many shops and prices the same as coastal cities and I thought the wine prices should have been in line as well , but I sure wished we had of paid the extra $5 bucks a few days later.

There are many times you pay extra for real extra costs borne by a retailer like the $2.80 a litre we paid for fuel dump petrol - mainly as its part of the Canning experience from our point of view.

I think you will find that Rabbit Flat is going because of new unrealistic governmental conditions that cheessed off owners near retirement ,
but never don't have a reasonably based crack at someone- while there reasons may not be yours they should at least have a sound basis for there different views.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694975

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:55

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:55
The last time i pulled up at the pub at William Creek, you could smell the toilets before we got out of the Patrol. That was some time ago ,,,,, (Something overflowing somewhere),,,, You didnt need directions, just the key!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 694982

Follow Up By: Plasnart - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:30

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:30
Robin, I think you'll find there are no public facilities at William Creek. The toilets there are either owned and maintained by the pub or the caravan park, not a local council (as there is no council covering that part of the world). Both the pub and the caravan park would bear the costs involved in providing those facilities and I don't think it's unreasonable that they lend out a key to those who have bought something. And I'm not having an unreasonable go at you, I just think we shouldn't expect everything for nothing in areas like that.

By the way, I did think the rest of your post was amusing and sympathise with you about being short of a tote. Not fun.
FollowupID: 694992

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:30

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:30
Robin,

That's a funny story, that is if you are not in the need for a drop or two.

Now, if you substituted quality for quantity, would you have had a similar problem if you were buying the wine by the bottle?

Last time I was up in the Alice, the popular cask amongst the local indigenous folk was Fruity Lexia which was on special at the time.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424523

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:20

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:20
I reckon I have tried that watered down stuff Bill , and I would have thought twice about buying it even had it been obtainable.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694987

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:44

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:44
Robin
You can buy wine casks in WA they are easier to buy than casks of port.
How did Anne's back stand up to the trip

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 424525

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:18

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:18
Thanks Mike , I guess its just the places we went to and the times we were there.

She seemed to go reasonably well with the odd Panandol , and the hot water bottle was good , espically when it got colder and wetter a few days after we left you.

Amazingly she seemed to think that some of those constant terrible corrugations acted like a back massage as they tore the shocks out of the 80 series with us and seemed to lossen bolts and brackets on every other car.

I hope that Wiluna ended well for you guys.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694986

Reply By: Joe n Mel - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:57

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 19:57
it is ridiculous and is offensive, it is discriminatory, it is plain stupid and is NOT working ..............
I have worked with this "system" for the last 6 years and it is not working the way the "people" that make the rules think it is, almost EVERY person that is either making or backing these rules does not have any idea what it is it live in the system, most make the rules and run and brag at "how well" it is working .......

But there is hope for those of us that are '"responsible" drinkers and over the next 12 months i will be getting togeather as many people as i can to "build" a system that works for one and for all and not restricted to the "bad" areas, yep i would love to see it Australia wide, after all as you read above we would like to travel Australia wide and enjoy it "responsibly" so why can we not???????
And to cap it off the """new system"""" is so simple that the Pollies, Govt duckheads, Police and Grog dept of anti-fun dont like it .......

Just a few good freinds within the bowels of FACSIA that will help me and away we go.
AnswerID: 424529

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:25

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 20:25
I hope you have success with it Joe - I would have thought that some sort of simple way around could have been worked out for the many put out travellers, espically for the wine casks which you could only buy from 6-9pm.

Maybe flash your out of state license for a small quantity purchase ?

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 694989

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 21:45

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 21:45
Gday Robin,
I was in Alice Springs last month and the Liquorland in town was doing a roaring trade selling cleanskins to the locals because caskwine is not sold until 6pm.

We've given up on casks for outback trips anyway - every second cask leaks in our experience - they don't like the rough and corrugated roads. These days the screw top bottles do us better - we pad each bottle by slipping it into cut down 1litre milk containers. Slip them all into the 6-bottle boxes. The used bottles go back into the box.

Maybe you'll have to "upgrade" to the $1.99 Dan Murphy chardonnay cleanskins :-)))

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 424547

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:06

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 08:06
Interesting Phil, about you finding casks leaking , might be worth finding out the sites general opinion on that one.

Co-incidently I kept the empty cask bladder from the 2lt cask I brought because it seemed better made and I intended to investigate this.

We still find many uses for them , my only water supply for 3 weeks was 4 X 10 litre supermarket casks , and one came home unopened.

I did find that 1 cask of my wine had some wet cardboard near it but I put this down to pushing back in the nozzle after use and packing the cask such that the weight was bearing down on the nozzle - after that I made sure the Nozzle was at the top.

Subject needs more thought.

I do find them so useful though - in Photo below I fill up a cask bladder so my wife could have some shower water from one of only 3 Wells we felt has good water.

Image Could Not Be Found

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695033

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:31

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 15:31
Robin,
Looks like you're getting Chardonnay out of the well :-))

Both the 2 litre and 4 litre casks leak. No big splits - they just seem to seep from around the spout - eventually half the box is soggy. It's just a pain having a bit of red wine or white wine staining the back of the truck, and the truck always smells rather "suspicious" :-)) But we travel lots of rough outback roads. Got our 8th trip along the Anne Beadell coming up next month.

But I've not had a screw top bottle leak. And the white wine stays fresher because you're only opening 750ml at a time. Only hassle is you need the room, which hasn't been a problem for us. The price of bottled wine has come down a lot so fewer people seem to buy casks because of price. There are plenty of $6 bottles that are a lot better than casks. My wife likes a sav blanc, and the Saltrams at $6.60 a bottle is a nice drop - better than most of the Marlborough ones going around lately.
FollowupID: 695097

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:09

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:09
Oh that is just nasty. I thought you were a nicer bloke than that.

A nice bloke puts his wifes shower water in a black bag so that it heats up - especially cool water taken from far underground.

Course given you were travelling in a group maybe there were other reasons to give SWMBO a cold shower.... (other than like folding washing and stacking the dishwasher that if you do it wrong enough you get told you are no good at it and she does it (and everything else you didn't want to do and applied this theory to..) for the rest of your married life...)

:o)

Dave
FollowupID: 695134

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:32
It was the snake Dave - there was a phython living in the well , and I had to get the water out fast or get bitten - now I'm a hero for just getting any water !

Image Could Not Be Found
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695141

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 23:04

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 23:04
Lucky you had shoes on

In kalgoorlie you have to have shoes on to be sold alcohol

if you show up in a taxi to a bottle-o you have to get out to make a purchase and you must be wearing shoes
AnswerID: 424560

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:56

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:56
Thats it Getoutmore - for 4 weeks I wore nothing but sandals , and this must have confused the line between nothing and shoes.

Image Could Not Be Found

Usually I can find a picture taken with camera pointed at the ground - but this is the closest I came to a "Shoe Photo" , on reflection it might have been the socks that I didn't change for over a week.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695032

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 23:33

Monday, Jul 19, 2010 at 23:33
Hey Robin,

Are you sure their version of the story in all these locations wouldn't be that they ran you out of town because they thought you were a pretentious Victorian wine swilling drunk?

Good read... thanks,

Dave
AnswerID: 424562

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:41

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:41
Could be Dave - More likely they drove beat up landcruisers and didn't like Patrols in the parking bay - next time I'll send my wife in , she came from NSW.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695027

Reply By: fisho64 - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:06

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 02:06
I think I know where you went wrong-casks are definitely sold in WA, but if you had asked for a GOONY you'd probably have more luck!
AnswerID: 424573

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:46

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 07:46
Local Knowledge again Fisho , reminds me of the guy who thru a line in and pulled out a fish after I walked away , he knew what to look for.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695031

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:46

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 09:46
Hi Robin

8ltr's for 12,000k's equals .006666666 lts per 100k's not bad for a 4.5 ltr patrol.

Alan
AnswerID: 424590

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:04

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:04
Thanks goodness I drive a petrol car Alan - without that extra 30% of fuel requirement we might have not survived.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695052

Reply By: Member - Matt & Caz H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:01
HI Robin

Yes you can buy cask wine in WA - not till Karratha though. Not sure about further down sth - although there are no bottle - O's on the Nullarbor!!! LOL.

Cheers
AnswerID: 424592

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:18

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 16:18
Robin - sorry to hear your tale, but it was funny. Had I known you were in such a state I would have happily given you our 4L cask at the gathering (we bought it in Perth before we left), at it arrived home full (we polished off a bottle of Portuguese Port, a case of Gin&Tonic UDLs and a case of Pure Blonde beer though). Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424621

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 17:01
Thanks for the offer Michelle - it just goes to show that good info up front can really help with trip planning - I had backups for fuel, tyres various break down senario's but I didn't even have a little box to tick for wine casks.

Was good to meet you guys !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695103

Reply By: murrayman - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 19:03

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 19:03
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Foul Language Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 424636

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:22

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:22
Gday Robin
Just reading your story.
I am not surprised how far an alcoholic vegetarian will travel for a good feed and drink of chateau cardboard.. You have done well.

Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 424664

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:37

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:37
Hi Muz

Life is tough sometimes , but as they say ...................
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695143

Reply By: Who was that again? (Vic) - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:54

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 21:54
G'day Robin, you must have followed us down part of the Oodnadatta Track. We had been across at Yulara for a couple of days and had the choice of four reds in the local bottle shop that we went to look to. Four reds where the best of the vin ordinare choice was at $53, we walked out and had the clean skins we had taken from home and were as good as bagged wines. Not a best choice.

While refuelling at Marree, I saw and heard one Scrubby recounting his exploits crossing the Simpson. Hadn't seen him since Innamincka Gathering two years ago. We had a yarn for a while and then drove out to see the Ferry over the Cooper. We didn't actually get there as a brake caliper bolt came out and the said caliper acted as a rough lathe tool, and cut/ground its way through the rim of my alloy Karavan wheel. Not a happy way to end that trip. Met up with Adam Plate of The Pink though and he had holed a boat! We camped that night, not on the Cooper, but in Lyndhurst.
AnswerID: 424668

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:36

Tuesday, Jul 20, 2010 at 22:36
If I had of known , we would have camped next to you and eased the burden of carrying all those red John !

No good about the brakes though - may be caked dirt played up with them - it jammed Howards brake on and completely wore out the rear shoes , but he got more at Halls Creek.

By the way - Scubby owes me a big favour if he remembers Durba Springs.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695142

Reply By: Wayne Reason - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:42

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:42
Geez Robin. If I had known that your love of the chardy was that great, I would have shouted you one the last time I met you in Perth WA.
Wayne R.
AnswerID: 424885

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 18:51

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 18:51
Hi Wayne

Good to hear from you - will hold you to that as you move around and expect we will catch up properly before to long.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695368

Reply By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:21

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 11:21
Hi Robin and Anne.
Loved your story of troubles with travelling out there, rules seem to change town to town and business, no problem getting a bottle of over priced Chardonnay over the bar, try to buy a bottle of whisky for Howard and all they sell was 6 packs of light beer VB I think.(Halls Creek.)
I pleased you and Anne made it back safely in spite of the difficulty's with the Chardonnay.
Am at Alice at the moment $6.00 hr to go on the internet, the odd bottle of red may still be a problem as well as I make my way back to Brisbane. Still got 3 weeks to go.
I really enjoyed the trip on the CSR I feel we ended up making a great team.
Cheers
Russ
AnswerID: 425154

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:48

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 13:48
Hi Russ

You will probably miss this on the Intercafe machines - but we had a good time to and we will do it again.

Looks like your last 3 weeks will be warmer than the time we spent to-gether so enjoy it.

I have resisted putting up Canning stories because you , rob and Howard aren't here to defend yourselves - but when we are all back on site , we can tell stories about each other.

All the best mate !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 695695

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:38

Sunday, Jul 25, 2010 at 18:38
Robin
Remember what happens on tour stays on tour.
Got a slab of rump beef wrapped in smoky bacon and the roast veges to suit roasting in the Cobb. Shopping in the Alice depends on the timing, NZ Sav Blanc seems OK will try as sip of a SA sav merlot when I enjoy the roast.
Enjoy being back at work.
Cheers to all
Russ
FollowupID: 695720

Follow Up By: Member - Howard (ACT) - Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 22:19

Sunday, Aug 08, 2010 at 22:19
Margaret and I got home tonight. ran out of scotch at Menindee lakes last night so came straight home-
last heard from Rob as we went into darwin around the 20th. He was back at halls and heading home.
Russ- we were also in alice on the sat/ sunday you where there .
didnt you see me changing uni joints on the side of the street because the town was shut due to long weekend and noone would do anything.
BTW we have a new granddaughter born last friday.
cheers
Howard
Resigned to Retirement

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 697262

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 07:56

Monday, Aug 09, 2010 at 07:56
Hi Howard

Good to here from you and Margaret , another great trip is over , with no serious issues for any of us. Some others don't seem to have been so lucky.

Congratulations on the new family member also , now you will have to locate some chardonay to celebrate !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 697293

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 03:33

Sunday, Aug 22, 2010 at 03:33
Hi Folks
Back Home yesterday, got the sheep shorn and lambs tailed today, very good organisation by Alwyn, great to get that job done, first cow to calve is getting close, not bad at all to be back. The Beard went tonight as well.
My trip ended up great.
Howard, Seems like the bottle of Whisky that I tried to get at Halls was missed.
The tyres that had the small splits in them ended up blowing out, not a surprise on hindsight, new rear brake pads, must wipe the mud off next trip,
I ended up doing almost 20,000 Ks and enjoyed it, will have to come back again.
Howard and Margaret sorry did not pick you up out from Derby, driving into the sun and trying to get there before it was too late on a Friday to replace a blow out and did not pick you up.
Cheers
Russ

FollowupID: 698681

Follow Up By: Member - Russnic [NZ] - Monday, Aug 23, 2010 at 08:01

Monday, Aug 23, 2010 at 08:01
Hi again Howard and Margaret
Forgot to say congrats on the new addition to the family,
I parked for a while in camp grounds in Alice to use the internet, and to wash the body and clothes, Macca's internet is a bit come and go and slow.
Perhaps I should have joined you on the side of the road and replaced my brake pads myself instead of getting them done at the local dealer when getting the 40,000 service done, I guess he ( the dealer)will need my money after the "Finke" run. (A incredible amount of expensive machinery got destroyed there.)
Went down to Chambers Pillar intended to go onto Finke but with the Storms we had and about chickened out and went back to the black.
Replaced the two back tyres with heavier ply and better quality tubes, see what happens.
Cheers
Russ.
PS
Caught up with our Canberra born Grandaughter on the way back at Christchurch, she is thriving!
FollowupID: 698789

Sponsored Links