Aerials, Antennas

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 01:47
ThreadID: 80201 Views:2744 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, i have done a little research on this, but not lots. What i wanna know is which sort of antenna's or aerials i should get/or do you use and why?

Not the typical UHF ones, but the ones people use for there Next G phones and for better AM/FM radio reception. I dont really want anything bigger then a metre though, so would an aerial that size provide any benefit if mounted to say the bullbar.

Or would they need to be mounted higher then the roof?

Most of what i have read says to mount them as high as possible but i do alot tight tracks and parking under small spaces so i dont really want them up that high.

I thought i would just ask what fellow forumites use and how they perform.

These aerials will only be needed when travelling really, most often in flat country, but will be mounted full time just incase.

Thanks alot.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:58

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 06:58
I had an antenna that was about 900mm high. It was originally a CDMA antenna but used the same frequency as Next-G.

It was mounted on the gutter area of the Jackaroo, but Electric Bug made up a little rubber stub antenna about 6" long and this was used the majority of the time. If I remembered, I swapped over to the SS whip antenna when heading bush, but both seemed to give similar performance. When mounted on the roof line even a 6" antenna is high enough to pull in a strong signal.

On my current vehicle I haven't bothered with an external antenna as the Next-G phone receives an adequate signal without one.
Realistically, out in the country you may pick up a signal a few kilometres sooner when approaching a reception area, but does this really matter when doing 100Km/H.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 424692

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:07

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:07
Its more just to hold signal for longer. I get signal on/off in alot of places due to mine sites having Next G reception, but it cuts in and out frequently for no reason. Usually the further from the mine site i get the better the reception. I just wanna be able to maintain reception, as its always at these times important messages come through and i have to stop and muck around finding reception to return calls.

Cheers
FollowupID: 695299

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:21

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 08:21
I have an RFI multiband phone aerial Its mounted on the bullbar and is just high enough that i can see if it gets under the bar in a parking building so will the car Handy!!!!!!
It works on all frequencies and can be bought at Telstra and probably other shops for about $125.
Gives at least 2 bars more signal than without it.

Got reception 45k out of Carnarvon and when took ophone out of cradle lost coonnection.
My phone has only an inductive connection through the cradle Nikia 6120 or Iphone

AnswerID: 424701

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:04

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:04
Excellent, i think i have the same phone.

I get decent reception but when travelling it cuts in and out frequently, so was hoping an antenna would maintain the reception a little better.

Thanks
FollowupID: 695298

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 19:51

Wednesday, Jul 21, 2010 at 19:51
Don't have one (yet) but have read that the Little Devil Omni antenna does a good job, http://www.ldantennas.com.au/omni3g_800_3000.htm See Exploroz thread 79795 for other info. Cheers
AnswerID: 424794

Follow Up By: Muntoo - Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:01

Thursday, Jul 22, 2010 at 00:01
Thanks will check that thread out.
FollowupID: 695297

Sponsored Links