Milparinka to Silverton via Hawker Gate

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 16:42
ThreadID: 80373 Views:4330 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone driven this section of road this season so far.
Just wanting to know the road conditions and if the 40km section of dog fence south of hawker Gate is still able to be travelled legally without prior permission.
After these recent rains from your personal experiences how long would the roads be too wet to travel.

Cheers
Mal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:04

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:04
G'day Mal,
The road alongside the dogfence on that section is separate from the dog fence track, and legal to drive on up to Hawker's Gate.
When we arrived at Hawker's Gate there is a sign saying it is illegal to follow the fence and the road turns east to Winathee Station.
That was last year, so the road conditions I don't know.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 425538

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:40

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 17:40
Hunjy

You need to explore this site a bit more! I must admit I always forget where it is. Try Places, then Road Conditions.

This link should take you straight to it.
Broken Hill

We were last there a few years ago. The station tracks were fine but many many gates!

It is a nice drive though.

Kingo
AnswerID: 425547

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:59

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 18:59
Hi Mal
It is a Public Access road and we were planning on doing it next week. All roads in that area are all closed now with more rain coming. I was told today it could be a week or longer before they open again, but all depends on who much rain they end up getting, with the likely amount of at least 20mm, even more in some areas.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 425566

Reply By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:23

Wednesday, Jul 28, 2010 at 20:23
Thanks for the replies, most helpful.

I feel for you people out there stuck by road closures at the moment.

Cheers
Mal
AnswerID: 425582

Follow Up By: clare53 - Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:49

Thursday, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:49
Hi,

A local perspective! Most of the rain has been concentrated in the western section of the Corner Country. An alternate route might be from Broken Hill to Yanco Glen, take the Corona Road over the Barrier Ranges, up past Pine View, back along the Veldt Road to the Milparinka Road ( not the Silver City Highway, but UR6 running past Pimpara Lake) and on to Milparinka that way. The RTA is working on UR6 this week.

There is accommodation ( camping and other) all along that route. It approximates the track taken by Charles Sturt in 1845. More about that on www.outbacknsw.com.au.

Cheers,
Clare53
FollowupID: 696125

Follow Up By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 17:51

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 17:51
Clare53
Yes that is certainly another way to go. Will suggest that to the person I'm asking the question for and keep these directions for another time.
We came down the Silver city highway from Tibooburra a couple of weeks ago and the country is looking a picture at the moment. I want the fireplace at the Packsaddle pub in my shed.

cheers
Mal
FollowupID: 696370

Sponsored Links