solar panels

Hi im wanting to know a bit about what to look for in solar panels,I havent been interested in them in the past as i have a honda generator,however im intending on staying in some national parks here and there,so i think i need to get one,im really only running a evacool 110ltr fridge,when it arrives,ive upgraded from my waeco cf 50 for more room,anyway ive been looking at some solar panels on ebay they are 100watt mono chrystalline (KEY SOLAR) and ready to connect straight to a battery they are $350. this sounds cheap?? can someone advise me on these thanks Alan..
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 03:27

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 03:27
Adam

I used this mob from Sydney, and go tthe 120 watt version

Solar panel link

So far so good.

I too am new to solar panels, but in full sunlight they are simply brilliant.
Apparently it's all go to do with the regulator, on the rear of the panel, and the charge of the battery, ie.... if the battery calls for more current the panel regulator will supply, if it can.
And that is the end of my experteese, and of course monocrystaline, so they may keep charging on cloudy days.
Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 425791

Reply By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 09:08

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 09:08
Had a peek at the E-bay units mentioned - price is good - cells are half-size not full size , no mention of a stand or carry / storage bag ..

Warranty is just about standard ..

Even I can't beat the price BUT you do get full-size cells , MPPT reg , stand and carry bag for the price ..

Cheers

Steve
AnswerID: 425805

Follow Up By: Alan_08_rodeo - Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 09:55

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 09:55
Hi steve thanks for your reply but whats the difference between full and half size cells?? thanks Alan..
FollowupID: 696331

Follow Up By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:18

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 10:18
Not much difference really a full cell has a higher performance factor usually - but its usually 13% as against 14-15% ..

The cells could be ( and I stress COULD be ) not first grade cells some half cells are used as the other half has failed during manufacturing so they chop off the bad bit and re-melt it into a new crystal.

The figures that they quote are standard for the size of the kit for output so the Kit should be fine - wish I could match the price ..

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 696334

Follow Up By: turbopete - Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 16:40

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 16:40
Hi Steve..Do u do installations for the portable units
FollowupID: 696462

Follow Up By: Mandrake's Solar Power- Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 16:47

Sunday, Aug 01, 2010 at 16:47
Turbopete ,

There's not really any installation necessary UNLESS you want the reg mounted close to the battery ..

The standard kit just clips to the battery terminals with alligator clips OR I can put an Anderson plug on the end instead and that just plugs into your setup ..

Then all you do is stand the Kit up and face it to the Sun ..

I will gladly show you if you're in Melbourne ..

Cheers

Steve
FollowupID: 696464

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 13:54

Saturday, Jul 31, 2010 at 13:54
Alan,

Check out the 140 watt panel on this website : -> 140w solar panel

Note; I’ve no affiliation or connection with the vendor

Then you will need a decent solar regulator, it WILL be placed near the battery (not the panel)

Remember, if you buy the cheapest available product, you will have something that’s not the exact same specifications as the more expensive products available, and you will need to buy two (2) of them for decent performance in inclement weather conditions.

My advice is to buy something decent to start with and have no regrets later on out in the bush.

Ask any guy that says his solar system is not as good as he was led to believe and I guarantee it’s a copy of a ‘branded’ panel that is not as efficient as the original.

If it only gives 70% performance, not 100% then there’s a problem you don’t need!

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 425828

Reply By: Maîneÿ . . .- Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:53

Friday, Aug 13, 2010 at 19:53
I looked at Jessica Watsons yacht she sailed round the world, there appears to be 2 x Pollycrystaline solar panels, on the back

Maîneÿ . . .
AnswerID: 427153

Sponsored Links