Thargo to Quilpie Road condition

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 01:26
ThreadID: 80566 Views:3659 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, planning on driving my new Hyundai SUV up from Sydney to Cairns Via the opal fields in Yowah and Quilpie.

Just wanting to know the conditions of the roads out that way seeing as quite alot of rain has fell in the area recently. As far as i can see most of the roads around that area are now sealed except for a few patches around toompine? am i correct?

Also does anyone know if the Toompine road from Eulo to Yowah is now sealed and if so would a 4x4 SUV be suitable.

Id have no probs taking my cruiser on any road out this way, but im being much more careful with my new one!

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 07:35

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 07:35
Been a couple of years since I've been on it and it was pretty good. they were doing a lot of work on the Quilpie side and from the latest Hema map there is probably only 20k of dirt south of Toompine from Eulo. We will be going thru there in about six weeks.
AnswerID: 426445

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:33

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:33
Should be there in less than 41 days Bruce :))

DanziM can you wait that long??

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 697098

Reply By: B1B2 - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:13

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 08:13
G'day DanziM,
I towed my caravan along there 2 weeks ago along the Quilpie - Toompine - Thargomindah road and it was ok. I am pretty sure it was mainly blacktop. I drove on south to Hungerford which is dirt. Keep an eye on road conditions.

Cheers,
Bill
AnswerID: 426450

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:30

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:30
Very Wet in the table drains around Thargo.
AnswerID: 426529

Reply By: Member - John Q (QLD) - Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:40

Saturday, Aug 07, 2010 at 19:40
Quilpie - Toompine - Yowah - Eulo is all black top although there is a fair bit of single lane bitumen but I understand there is about 40km of dirt road on the Toompine - Thargomindah road. Check at Eulo or Quilpie for conditions if there has been rain in the area. I was out that way in May/June & the hospitality at the Toomopine Hotel is great plus there is free power & hot showers are available for travellers. Check out the animals (4 legged) that are kept at Toompine.

John
just crusin & smelling the flowers

1. At Halls Creek (Is he really lost?)
2. East of Cameron Cnr

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 426532

Sponsored Links